Coming home from hospital

vanish

vanish

I’m far from cured but what more can I do? All treatments have been applied and since I am considered no longer a danger to myself or the community, I am being sent home at weeks end. I know social isolation played a critical role in me going down the rabbit hole but how does one find friends who don’t judge me for having schizophrenia? I’ve been down that road before, people saying they’re your buddy or even BFF when really they aren’t to be trusted.
I know some may suggest a club or team sport but the truth is I’m fat ugly and uncoordinated, living with metabolic syndrome due to weight issues from meds. I hear voices most of the time so I have headphones on blasting music...not very good for a social setting. Before schizophrenia, I lived an active life with dinner parties, concerts and equestrian sports. Now I do nothing.
I’m open to suggestions...

Hopeful313

Hopeful313

Hi @vanish

I am glad you are out and doing a bit better. I am very sorry you had to go through this.

Are there any support groups around you? You can call you medical insurance or your social/mental health services for information. Support groups usually gather for social exposure sometimes.

Take care

vanish

vanish

Hi Hopeful, I used to attend a voice hearers support group but it has since ceased operation. You have some good suggestions, unfortunately my mental health service that I use is a fair distance from where I actually live. I’ve just had a brainstorm however, I could ask the hospital social worker to have a look with me. Surely that’s within their realm of experience?

boudreauj4

boudreauj4

I started volunteering at a charity. But since I already had other family members that worked there, that made it easier.

Hopeful313

Hopeful313

Hi Hopeful, I used to attend a voice hearers support group but it has since ceased operation. You have some good suggestions, unfortunately my mental health service that I use is a fair distance from where I actually live. I’ve just had a brainstorm however, I could ask the hospital social worker to have a look with me. Surely that’s within their realm of experience?
Like boudreauj4 suggested. It’s not only for socializing but it gives a great feeling of contribution.

I wish you the best of luck.

N

natalie

Hi Vanish,

So glad to hear this. Yes, volunteering can give you very good cv experience, and also you might find not only challenging, in providing a skill of service, also, rewarding.

Now a team sport, would be a good idea, don't worry about so to speak lack of body image or confidence, hopefully it will gain to give you encouragement to enable you to lose some weight, and, socalise as well.

I wish you hopefully well for your recovery plans. And well in yourself hopefully.

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
I think volunteering is the line to go down. I’ve been volunteering for the last nine years. Some days are hard tho, like today I had to cry off. But in general I enjoy doing something productive. Find something you like doing, if you like animals try volunteering at a shelter, or in a charity shop. I used to volunteered in a charity shop for eight years and now I help with the elderly.

L

linus

My son goes three times a week at the hospital to help some children with math. I think it is very helpful for him on the road to recovery,

vanish

vanish

I’m home from hospital now. I’m looking next Wednesday for places to volunteer. I’d like to volunteer in hospitals doing activities with patients.

EddieH

EddieH

I got a volunteer job at a church cooking for homeless people. I was pretty unwell and quit after a few weeks. I'm much better now think I might give it another try, I love cooking. Don't give up vanish, a change in meds have me feeling the best in years.

vanish

vanish

I feel pretty sedated from the meds but I figure that will settle as my body gets used to them.
On a side note, I got a letter of support from my gp for an NDIS funded dietician and meals so I can try and make a decent effort at weight loss.

EddieH

EddieH

Vanish it is hard the weight loss thing. I used to be 70kgs when I was working and now around 105kgs after a few sessions on zyprexa. That's interesting NDis does that, didn't know. Hope you have some success. I've got plan management and I think about to get support planning so be interesting to see what ideas they have.

vanish

vanish

I only watch Neighbours occasionally. I thought Dee was dead and it was Andrea who happens to look like Dee who had Toadie in her clutches? Have you passed Sonya dying yet?

Fairy Lucretia

Fairy Lucretia

Forum Guide
I only watch Neighbours occasionally. I thought Dee was dead and it was Andrea who happens to look like Dee who had Toadie in her clutches? Have you passed Sonya dying yet?
yes sadly somnya has died
Andrea is back and said Dee is alive so I think Dee is coming back xxx