• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Coming from a country where people are not educated about panic attacks is difficult (a rant)

I

Ikigai

I don't know if this is a proper place to post it, so I don't mind if admins will want to delete it. I just really want to get it off my chest. I come from a country where mental health is considered to be a weird topic to talk about and people are only learning about the importance of mental health. But the stigma is still present. "if you go to the psychiatrist , and God forbid, take medication, you must be crazy". I always thought it was exaggerated.... until yesterday. A very unpleasant story happened to me and I still can't calm down.

But first, a little bit of a pre-story.

I'm dating a foreigner, an American, to be exact. He's been traveling to see me every year, and the last time I saw him, he told me he'd would love to move to live with me and I thought it was a great idea. We want to close the distance. He has a distant job and can live in my country without any trouble. So, we are in process of preparing for it. Both are very excited.

The only thing is that is challenging to figure out is that he has a panic disorder and has to take medication for it. I've been looking up things trying to figure out if he can get it in my country. I've been calling up pharmacies and private doctors. Then, I came across a Facebook page where people ask questions and doctors answer. I posted there out of curiosity just asking how a foreign bf can get a prescription and if anyone knows a doctor. I woke up to 100+ comments and 20 private messages. People were talking trash about his mental heath. Honestly, the cruelty of those messages was beyond my belief. People texted me in private just to say that I should break up with him because he's a psycho. Saying that if we get married our children will be sick. They attacked me, too, calling me names and emphasizing that I'm stupid and that he will kill me if his meds stop working. Some of them told me that I'm doing charity work helping a "mentally challenged" person. The list goes on. Each message nastier than the previous. I really can't believe people can be like that.

I did end up getting some suggestions about how to figure out the medication problem. People would text me in private telling about how their children or loved ones are suffering from some sort of mental disorder and how terrible and unacceptable our current society is.

Thank you for reading

fragrant_violet

fragrant_violet

Hai 生き甲斐

Your English is better than mine

I know all about your country. First, never use Facebook for that kind of information. Doctors answer your questions? Impossible.

Japan is actually a good country to get psychiatric medications these days.

Tell me what medications he needs and I'll know if they're available. The names are different. For example, xanax or aprazolam is called solonax or ランドセン。

If your boyfriend does move over, he should either get private insurance or 国民保険

K

Komorebi

Hi Ikigai,

And Fragrant_violet! I'm so pleased to hear that there are others here living in Japan.

I agree that in general the understanding of mental health of the 'average Joe' in Japan is lacking (the nail that sticks out...) Unfortunately the suicide statistics in part reflect this public embarrassment of the whole subject.

The doctors are fairly good here though! There are two American clinics in Tokyo that can probably help (sent me a message if you want more info, or for any other questions). One difference from the US is that the prescribed amount of medication is generally a lot lower in Japan. For example, 15mg of generic valium is apparently the maximum a doctor can prescribe at a clinic. This is a little frustrating.

Bring your boyfriend over as soon as you can and always ignore the 'internet warriors' on Facebook.

fragrant_violet

fragrant_violet

Japan is far better than most countries for mental health clinics. You can go straight to a psychiatrist. 20 years ago there weren't many. Now they are everywhere

The problem in Japan is not so much prejudice, but ignorance. People won't talk about it.

It annoys me that so many famous people have mental health problems but don't speak up about them when they could. Sure, they'd get horrid comments but they do anyway.

The comedian 中村 from 99. Kusanagi from Smap. 海老蔵 the kabuki actor. The list is endless.

I know the American clinic in Roppongi. Unless you work for a foreign company who pay your health insurance, its really expensive. The problem is that they are outside the Japanese health system. So they can only give maximum dosages. If you was to go to a Japanese 'mental clinic', they can give you far more.

I

Ikigai

Hai 生き甲斐

Your English is better than mine

I know all about your country. First, never use Facebook for that kind of information. Doctors answer your questions? Impossible.

Japan is actually a good country to get psychiatric medications these days.

Tell me what medications he needs and I'll know if they're available. The names are different. For example, xanax or aprazolam is called solonax or ランドセン。

If your boyfriend does move over, he should either get private insurance or 国民保険
Hi, I think my name made a big confusion. I'm not from Japan, but I do like Japanese culture and admire the beauty of the language. I really appreciate you typing out everything, but, unfortunately, it can't relate to my country.

I

Ikigai

Japan is far better than most countries for mental health clinics. You can go straight to a psychiatrist. 20 years ago there weren't many. Now they are everywhere

The problem in Japan is not so much prejudice, but ignorance. People won't talk about it.

It annoys me that so many famous people have mental health problems but don't speak up about them when they could. Sure, they'd get horrid comments but they do anyway.

The comedian 中村 from 99. Kusanagi from Smap. 海老蔵 the kabuki actor. The list is endless.

I know the American clinic in Roppongi. Unless you work for a foreign company who pay your health insurance, its really expensive. The problem is that they are outside the Japanese health system. So they can only give maximum dosages. If you was to go to a Japanese 'mental clinic', they can give you far more.
Hi!
I appreciate you responding to my message, but my name made a confusion. I'm not from Japan. I just used it because I was once taught some words by a Japanese friend and I just like it since then.

fragrant_violet

fragrant_violet

Hi!
I appreciate you responding to my message, but my name made a confusion. I'm not from Japan. I just used it because I was once taught some words by a Japanese friend and I just like it since then.
No problem