• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Comfort in the depression

P

Person616

Does anyone feel a sense of comfort (for lack of better term) sometimes? I’ve been dealing with it for years and sometimes I find comfort in being really depressed. Not that I enjoy it whatsoever it is hell obviously. Familiarity can be really bad. Just want to know if anyone else goes through this weird twisted feeling.

Marrex

Marrex

Indeed I do. I used to think I was just addicted to the pain or something weird, but I think what's closer to the truth is we as human beings crave that which is familiar to us, even if it's unpleasant. For me, at least, the case is that the depression is essentially the norm for me. I understand it better than happiness, and is thus my 'safe space' emotionally, so to speak.

P

Person616

Indeed I do. I used to think I was just addicted to the pain or something weird, but I think what's closer to the truth is we as human beings crave that which is familiar to us, even if it's unpleasant. For me, at least, the case is that the depression is essentially the norm for me. I understand it better than happiness, and is thus my 'safe space' emotionally, so to speak.
Thank you for your response and honestly that’s exactly how I feel I’m so glad someone else out there feels the same. Like I said the 6+ years I’ve been experiencing depression I’m used to the lows more. It’s a comfort zone and the worst part is knowing it’s not the right way to continue in life. The way you say understand it better than happiness is so true for me as well...

jajingna

jajingna

Yeah, I've felt a strange sort of comfort at times when depressed too. Like when just lying in bed watching a movie or something, not feeling well but just saying the hell with it, like wallowing in it. In a way it's not bad, you don't have the energy to be fighting it all the time, so you're just letting it be there and it has that strangely comforting vibe sometimes.

S

SadRainbow

Not comfort so much but I have noticed I feel uncomfortable, even scared when I feel anything that could be positive recently. It feels so fragile and I'm desperate for it to last. It doesn't of course.

ht46

ht46

I think when I feel hopeless I feel clear minded, like I'm miserable but it feels right but that's part of the depression telling me I don't deserve happiness, sometimes I self sabotage and deliberately put myself on a negative train of thought because it makes feel real while the antidepressants make me more positive but I feel more in denial and delusional.

I also envy some people in the way they describe their depression I know it's a bad thing to do but some times I want to be hooked on painkillers in some run down old house and miserable weather this sort of stuff comforts me, just somewhere to escape from life, also people who maladaptive daydream those people who suffer anxiety, depression are quite introverted but with strong imaginations they escape into wish it was me.

P

Person616

I think when I feel hopeless I feel clear minded, like I'm miserable but it feels right but that's part of the depression telling me I don't deserve happiness, sometimes I self sabotage and deliberately put myself on a negative train of thought because it makes feel real while the antidepressants make me more positive but I feel more in denial and delusional.

I also envy some people in the way they describe their depression I know it's a bad thing to do but some times I want to be hooked on painkillers in some run down old house and miserable weather this sort of stuff comforts me, just somewhere to escape from life, also people who maladaptive daydream those people who suffer anxiety, depression are quite introverted but with strong imaginations they escape into wish it was me.
Couldn’t not have said it any better im
So glad there are others out there who have that same train of thought. The clear minded thing is a good point I see myself when I read your post so thank you and we will keep staying strong!

P

Person616

Not comfort so much but I have noticed I feel uncomfortable, even scared when I feel anything that could be positive recently. It feels so fragile and I'm desperate for it to last. It doesn't of course.
That is a really good point I see myself when I read your post. I appreciate the perspective I’m trying to figure it out in my head but it’s just so weird. Uncomfortable in the positive is exactly it.

P

Person616

Yeah, I've felt a strange sort of comfort at times when depressed too. Like when just lying in bed watching a movie or something, not feeling well but just saying the hell with it, like wallowing in it. In a way it's not bad, you don't have the energy to be fighting it all the time, so you're just letting it be there and it has that strangely comforting vibe sometimes.
It is really a comforting vibe sometimes. That’s a good way to put it. Especially when you have nothing to do it feeds on that for sure.