• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Comfort Eating Issues

R

R2Y5A0N2

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I suffer with severe depression, anxiety and low self-esteem and lots of times when I am depressed I turn to eating for comfort. I find it helps relieve my pain and worries if I just eat takeaway food, over-eat or just generally pig out on unhealthy foods. Apparently, overeating can be categorized as self-harm and I wish to cope with my problems in a more effective and less damaging way. I hope to lose weight, eat more healthily and lead more healthy lifestyle but depression won't let me. I have joined the gym and going for my first session today hopefully. Does anyone have any tips or tricks to share with me? I can't be the only person with mental health conditions who over-eats or under-eats... :unsure:

katya

katya

I struggle with this too, and I'm in a very similar boat at the moment.

It might be good for you to get into cooking - to change a negative habit into a new hobby. I find this is difficult when you're lacking motivation, though.

Have you ever thought of joining Slimming World? They're good if you can stick with it; you can go to the meetings and you record your food every day, so it gives you a sense of reward, and there are "free foods" which you can eat as much as you want of, so you technically never have to be hungry.

Please let me know if you find something that works. :)

nonotme

nonotme

I I turn to eating for comfort. I find it helps relieve my pain and worries if I just eat takeaway food, over-eat or just generally pig out on unhealthy foods. Apparently, overeating can be categorized as self-harm
@ 25st I can fully understand what you are saying, "overeating can be categorized as self-harm" well it plays to my self-hate so I guess so.

katya

katya

@ 25st I can fully understand what you are saying, "overeating can be categorized as self-harm" well it plays to my self-hate so I guess so.
Yeah, you know it's bad for you, long-term, and bad for your mental health, but you do it anyway. Like smoking, I guess.

nonotme

nonotme

Yeah, you know it's bad for you, long-term, and bad for your mental health, but you do it anyway. Like smoking, I guess.
I have serveral negative habbits some I can control, some not. I choose no longer to drink.

R

R2Y5A0N2

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I love cooking - well used to. Now I never have motivation or energy to want to cook, but I should definitely do more cooking. I guess I have to tackle what is behind my depression first.

BorderlineDownunder

BorderlineDownunder

Yes I once lost a lot of weight, have put most of it back on. But I'm still in the Regular size category, ladies will know what I mean.

So I'm curvy rather than Fat but like everyone, need to get it down, as my cholesterol is high and everyone in my family who has died, has died from Heart Attacks.

On the other hand - my weight has remained reasonably stable most of my adult life. I gain or lose here and there, but generally speaking I am the same size I was in high school. :shrug: This is because I eat pretty well, when Im well.

When Im unwell such as now, I use food as my No. 1 drug. Its why im looking forward so much to rehab (weed) because I will be fed regularly, something I seem utterly unable to do myself.

I have evolved this weird eating disorder that includes Intentional Comfort Eating (but never to excess) combined with Self Starvation.

Basically if Im unwell Im too sick to eat, or want to eat, anything but junk. So I suck on chocolate instead of eating 3 square meals. :(

I make sure I have everything I could possibly crave in the house otherwise I get extremely anxious. If its here, I can ignore it and not eat it. But I HAVE to have it here. Im taking 3 family size blocks into rehab with me. :eek2:

I probably wont eat them, because I will be Looked After and fed.

But by God Im taking them. 7 days without a shop! Inhumane!

D

daydreambeliever39

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I've just eaten too much cake while reading this. So I know what you mean about comfort eating. I comfort drink too. I feel sick now. It was too sweet to eat a lot of.

N

natalie

Hi,

Although I am a complex mild mental health conditons case ,me, I always have the tendancy to listen to music and neeldeworking; sure when the weather turns to the extreme, dull and wet days in London, then, I do tend to aim for comfort eating, such as a sandwich, or if I'm feeling highly irritible, I'll aim for choclate.

However, I have been busier today, monitoring my emails for volunteering notifications, and correspondence from day centre offices, so I haven't felt relaxed, this afternoon, considering I'm away next week. i know, I keep going on about my holiday; therefore, I am hoping tomorrow will be a much better day, in that, I'll be relaxing to music, and neeldeworking. Or simply knitting, probably shall be needleworking, I guess. And, I'll fit in if I can say fit in, a chair workout at some point, focusing on circulation booster, and toning, for the upper and lower body.

How about, cravings, try taking a homeopathic tablet dose, these can be bought in a well known high street shop, or independant health store, shop, and they can help decrease that craving feeling.

For anxeity purposes, I wear my travel bands for sickness en travel, and I discovered, recently, that they can and do calm me down brilliantly for anxiety. In fact, ah, I might wear mine this evening, I forgot to put them on for the daytime.

I wish you hopefully well,

Natalie.

N

natalie

I meant to have pointed out that I wouldn't aim for sandwich and then choclate, all in one go, just after the sandwich i mean, I'm not like that. Its usually spaced out, that I'll have a sandwhich in between meals, and maybe a couple of hours later, I'll have choclate.

mami5

mami5

I comfort eat, a lot!! My psychologist found out a few weeks ago, and is now on my case! Not sure what he intends to do about it at the moment, but if he gives me any tips, I'll share ;)

BorderlineDownunder

BorderlineDownunder

I meant to have pointed out that I wouldn't aim for sandwich and then choclate, all in one go, just after the sandwich i mean, I'm not like that. Its usually spaced out, that I'll have a sandwhich in between meals, and maybe a couple of hours later, I'll have choclate.
Yeah I skip the sandwich and just have the chocolate. :(

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

In terms of sweets I like:
Frys chocolate cream
Home made cookies and cakes

Also I like baked potatoes and rice

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

I also like crumpets with jam and a mug of coffee