• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Come on then, what's your Bipolar creativity?

F

Freakedoutboy

This extraordinary question is ten years old but merits an answer. The question pre-supposes that by taking Lithium you also enhance your ability to create. My daughter was a popular singer, songwriter and performer with guitar in front of live audiences. After being diagnosed with bipolar, she started taking Lithium. She complained that any glimmer of creativity had been stripped away by this drug and begged for her medication to be changed.
My own experience with Lithium is that it has never let me down in 43 years and allows me to be creative with my photography and writing. When I took an Open University degree in modern languages, the only difficulty I had concerned my recording of oral questions in foreign languages. I found that I have had a noticeable reduction in short term memory which made that task more difficult.

G

Ginger Kitten

I've thought of an odd one, i get broody, now that's a whole new kind of creative i know ;) That's what happened in September, despite my 2 and one having autism and my partners 2, i thought what the hell! All my fears of not being able to cope went right out the window, i was mother Theresa and superwoman all rolled into 1!
Now that's literally 'creative', Friars126! How interesting!

S

ScarsThatIamHiding

I used to use my depressive episodes to write. Back in the day, I wrote many short stories that I was going to try and have published, but in a stroke of genius, I decide to format my computer without backing anything up.

T

Traveler5

Well they say this is the good thing about bipolar so let's hear it; what's your best creative side?
Does anyone find they seem a bit stuck on this, maybe because they havent done any music lessons, paint classes etc, do you feel a bit 'stuck' but know the creativity is there somewhere? x
Writing. I'm a published author of fiction and nonfiction books.

C

Comorbidity

Well they say this is the good thing about bipolar so let's hear it; what's your best creative side?
Does anyone find they seem a bit stuck on this, maybe because they havent done any music lessons, paint classes etc, do you feel a bit 'stuck' but know the creativity is there somewhere? x
Everything - As a dear old friend, who looked after me above and the call of duty of any family member when I was going through what I now understand to have been a prolonged and quite destructive or rather risque episode "I've met so many people who say 'I can do anything I turn my mind to', you're the only person I've ever known it to be true of, but you've never once said it"

M

MoonandMoods

Whenever I feel hypomanic, I try to learn piano or some language. I was learning sight reading some days ago but I got distracted and started learning a language. It's been going really well.

R

RDX_79

I get entrepreneurial. I feel like I could start a business of some sort, but reality sets in and I know that when I come back down it won't be sustainable. I've always wanted to learn to play bass guitar too, but it sits on the to-do list.

I usually pour my energy into cleaning.

Gigirez

Gigirez

I write novels, at least I did before I was medicated. My meds have snuffed out the creativity in me. I hope somehow, some day I can get it back.

AppleJacks88

AppleJacks88

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I don't feel I'm very creative at all. My mother was, but I never inherited her talents like painting, calligraphy, and piano. I feel like I could've been, but now, I just don't feel my brain is wired for creativity. I have heard that not everyone is born or has the talent for creativity.

F

Freakedoutboy

My own experience with Lithium is that it has never let me down in 43 years and allows me to be creative with my photography and writing.
This is an update. Whilst I was on Lithium, I learnt the basics of photographic composition and have a collection of travel photographs which I am pleased with. I also learnt the basics of how to use Photoshop etc in order to improve photographs. My favourite trick is to remove that person who jumped in front of me just as I took the photo.

In the past weeks I have started taking Sodium Valproate (with an avalanche of other side effects I might add). My creativity has sky-rocketed without taking me with it and I am regularly producing surrealistic pictures alongside my travel photos. Sodium Valproate is not an easy option - I have noted 11 side-effects which I will be discussing with my local mental health team.

B

BlueWater

Yes, I feel stuck. I have weeks or months when I can throw myself into a new project like learning Indian cooking, crochet how to - this may be gross to some - catch small game and cook it, and this year learning a new language. When I can't do these new hobbies with dedication because I'm no longer motivated yet irritable (hate that combo and love it at the same time), then I try to cook just one meal I've never made or sit down and learn how to write and say one new word in another language. Feeling like I'm in the middle isn't the best feeling but it beats feeling so low I just want to be left alone. I know the creativity and energy is there; I just can't seem to tap into it every time I want to.

Wishbone

Wishbone

In the past weeks I have started taking Sodium Valproate (with an avalanche of other side effects I might add). My creativity has sky-rocketed without taking me with it and I am regularly producing surrealistic pictures alongside my travel photos. Sodium Valproate is not an easy option - I have noted 11 side-effects which I will be discussing with my local mental health team.
Would you either start a thread or search for one on Valproate and add what your experiences/side-effects are in there? I take it and only get one or two really but I'm interested to hear how others get on with it.

A

amallris

Maybe my bipolarity is not implying my creativity, but I like thinking about abstract problems and come up with generalized solutions in fields like math, programming, and my recent passion for urban planning as an amateur in video games.

F

Frankum35

Yes, I feel stuck. I have weeks or months when I can throw myself into a new project like learning Indian cooking, crochet how to - this may be gross to some - catch small game and cook it, and this year learning a new language. When I can't do these new hobbies with dedication because I'm no longer motivated yet irritable (hate that combo and love it at the same time), then I try to cook just one meal I've never made or sit down and learn how to write and say one new word in another language. Feeling like I'm in the middle isn't the best feeling but it beats feeling so low I just want to be left alone. I know the creativity and energy is there; I just can't seem to tap into it every time I want to.
Hello, well you are not alone. I love learning new things that catch my interest and I too share your some of your behaviors. I have started projects that seem too ambitious, some I finished and some don't. I also have many projects going on and I find the easiest to tackle them one by one slowly. When I come out the other side battling mostly the lows and highs I remind myself to not do it again. And guess what, I fall right back down starting many projects again and same story repeats. My energy just fluctuates alot during the day. Some days less than others