• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

We are an actively moderated forum. We work hard to keep the forum safe.

To access many more features and forums please register now

Come on then, what's your Bipolar creativity?

T

tasteslikemedicine

I make music :) I really wish I could share it because I'm really proud of it and think it's unique but I don't think there's a way I can without sharing personal info. I usually make music during depressive episodes funny enough, but you might not even be able to tell. My friend described my music as "happy but haunting"

When I am manic or stable I don't feel a need to make music as much but perform it. So, I create when depressed, and then perform the creations when I'm not lol

E

EvenEve

I paint. I have even sold a few. I'm either really into it. Or dont touch it for 6 months.

ThatBPD_Dad26

ThatBPD_Dad26

I love seeing how creative other people can be! Its exciting to see!

I tattoo, working on getting my tattoo license. I apprentice and tattoo myself frequently.

Attachments

B

BipolarCoder

I'm a computer programmer. While sometimes I spin my wheels starting projects and not finishing them, I often write quite nice and useful and elegant software. Sometimes I just dig into fixing bugs in open-source free software. In the part of my career where I was programming, peers and bosses were happy with my productivity. I think they were impressed by the times where I was hypomanically producing at 400%, and when I fell into 20% productivity either they didn't notice or it was possible for me to cover for a while and/or plod my way through.

Fortunately I get quite 'up triggered' by challenges and learning, so when I get bored, I can often seek out a new and different interesting project to get me back to doing something useful. Some would call it procrastination, I call it using what I've got.

---

I very much like to play improv piano. It's a pleasant sort of self-therapy. I can enjoy sitting and playing random improv music for 30-90 minutes, or even longer. When I was stressed in college I used to seek out a practice room in the music department and hold up and improv play for an hour or two.

Sometimes my themes are a bit too repetitive, and my left-hand base line variations are too limited. I try to challenge myself to break them and vary more. Because my random improv sessions involve lots of repetition and experimentation and mistakes, they can sometimes be grating for my family to listen to when I'm playing on a live piano (as opposed to with headphones). However, when I put in some effort to 'perform' an improv theme variation i've explored before, I can make fewer mistakes, and friends often compliment me. My kids like to hear me play. My wife says most of my music is too sad for her, and I get it... sometimes I notice echos of somber riffs that sound like the old-boy soundtrack or westworld opening theme. Lately I'm making an effort to create some brighter themes.

That said, my playing isn't "composed" or made to be listened to... it's just what happens when I sit down at a piano and push the keys. One phrase leads to the next and the next and the music goes where it goes.

I've always wanted produce an album of more organized and produced songs, but I've never found the motivation or method. Just in the last two years I have started to record my sessions to capture the ideas, so one day I might. And to send them to my mother, because she always talked about enjoying when i played as a child.

This morning I skimmed through ~60 improv session recordings, titled some of them, and picked out these that have more structure, either because they are elements i've played with before, or because I just was particularly inspired in that session. There are still stumbles and abrupt transitions, as this is improved on the spot.

Last edited by a moderator:
B

BipolarCoder

..okay.. the edited out the links to my songs, which makes a bunch of the text in that message irrelevant, but i can't edit or delete the message. bizarre.

UpnDwn1978

UpnDwn1978

There's so many amazingly talented people here :)

My current creative passion is building a miniature subway station. Another project I'll probably never finish, but at least it scratches my creative itch at the moment.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Bipolar Forum 1
GuitarKidd Bipolar Forum 7
Julzeebub Bipolar Forum 3
Wandering2 Bipolar Forum 8
K Bipolar Forum 5