• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Come on then, what's your Bipolar creativity?

Bluebox11

Bluebox11

I write a lot. Do a lot of poems and write short very descriptive stories. I also do a lot of colouring and painting.

ara13

ara13

I'm a writer and filmmaker and I do photography and visual art as well. My creativity is all I've got going for me. lol.

My friends sometimes tell me I'm a "mad genius" which I am like, super offended by in one sense but I don't express it, it's hard to explain why that upsets me without getting into a deeper conversation about how I don't think we should romanticize mental illness and I know they mean no harm.

GaryC123

GaryC123

Together
By Gary Childress

What is there not to be depressed about?
Especially when you’re this stressed out
Over viruses and economies
And what may happen to you and me
And loved ones
And fellow humans
When all of this is done

What is going on?
Why is this happening?
Will we all make it through?

I don’t know whether to cross my fingers
Or pray
Or if it’s all in vain
But I’ll still try
Just the same
Because it seems like all we can do

And this could only be the beginning
Maybe we haven’t yet seen anything
Of how bad it can be
The territory
We’re getting into

But we try not to lose our humanity
To instead face all the uncertainty
And danger
With strength
And compassion
Not with fear, anger
Or inaction
And hopefully
With optimism
We’ll make it through this cataclysm

Together

Keesha

Keesha

Saxophone
Keyboards/vocals
Acrylic / water-colouring
Woodworking / woodcarving /turning /pyrography
Gardening
Baking
Jewelry making

Far too many hobbies to keep up with but life is rarely ever dull😁

manicmonday

manicmonday

I normally write romances but this last time I was manic I was on a psych ward so I just danced and sang (I'm not good at dancing or singing but I was living for myself and it didn't matter). I also decided I wanted to go to Oxford uni as a mature student so I started studying, though that was less easy on the ward.

F

Failing Heart

Well they say this is the good thing about bipolar so let's hear it; what's your best creative side?
Does anyone find they seem a bit stuck on this, maybe because they havent done any music lessons, paint classes etc, do you feel a bit 'stuck' but know the creativity is there somewhere? x
This is the only part I enjoy. I guess “enjoy” is the wrong word. I am always highly artistically creative but when I’m elevated the ideas are so fluid and flow through my mind so quickly that I can barely make sense of them. There are so many moving parts that it’s almost impossible to organize them. I can’t stop thinking furiously and the ideas and projects are like a cyclone in my brain. I also tend to want to start to wallpaper the kitchen at 11pm or redecorate my living room in a single day....these are not hypotheticals, haha.

F

Failing Heart

Saxophone
Keyboards/vocals
Acrylic / water-colouring
Woodworking / woodcarving /turning /pyrography
Gardening
Baking
Jewelry making

Far too many hobbies to keep up with but life is rarely ever dull😁
Your studio must look like mine! Many of the same mediums and more!

F

Failing Heart

I get creative with my cooking when I'm hypomanic, and several years ago I got really motivated to lose weight with Weight Watchers (before starting Quetiapine, which loaded back the pounds), and made up recipes (that I mostly didn't write down). I also have way more energy to exercise when hypomanic, but since coming off of citalopram 15 months ago I have tended to be more depressed than hypomanic (very, very depressed). That's changing a bit now that I am also on Wellbutrin and Trazodone, but still feel quite low energy. My poetic side comes out more when I am depressed, so I guess I get creativity on both ends.
I took Trazadone for a long time but it screwed up my short term memory permanently. It also made me really drowsy so it might not turn out the best if you struggle with energy levels. At least that was my experience. Good luck.

W

Williebillie

is it dull reading sober thats really interesting

W

Williebillie

[QUOTE="Failing Heart, post: 2047375, member: 895I hope you do better

GooseBerryCoco

GooseBerryCoco

Well they say this is the good thing about bipolar so let's hear it; what's your best creative side?
Does anyone find they seem a bit stuck on this, maybe because they havent done any music lessons, paint classes etc, do you feel a bit 'stuck' but know the creativity is there somewhere? x
yeah I really don’t get those creative strokes anymore . . i’m “ stuck “ . . i mean on a good day I’d have a lot of ideas , buh i just can’t go through with them . . i just feel empty it’s been that way for a while .

A

anonyman

I always want to write when i'm high, i want to write a book of some kind and this has been a theme for years now. That's about it though apart from my baking, i can create amazing meals but wouldn't want to do it professionally, too much pressure, i get joy from taking my time, it's therapeutic too.
I relate to this heavy. I love writing. But I’m not an avid reader. I’m not a baker, but I love cooking and I also wouldn’t want to do it professionally.

Zana

Zana

SilSten those a fantastic. The top one made me crack up and the mountain one is really great too.

I love to write when the mojo gets going, I've had this fantasy world inspired by Warcraft and ASOIAF that I've developed intermittently over the past decade. Written a bunch of shorts and a novel but never found an agent. Have probably 30 full-length novels worth of content all told. I love to pick a character and write about them, explore them, profile them and draw them.

I've also an affinity for poetry and drawing but I actually find it easier to write poetry whilst depressed as it's easier to convey the sorrow you feel at the time of feeling it. I get ideas about playing piano again or recording audio versions of my writings and combining them with music and drawings I've created, then combining it all on YouTube. Maybe one day!

Is there a section of the forum specifically for people to share their creative works?

God bless all!

Zana

Zana

Is there a section of the forum specifically for people to share their creative works?

God bless all!
After looking through this thread people post their own poems so here goes!

Lost

Why do I feel this way?
A question we all ask ourselves at times.
When we are content, we ask it less. When we are troubled, we ask it of others.
But sometimes we shroud the question in rhythms and rhymes,
Because sometimes we’re scared to ask it of our sisters and brothers.

Why do I feel this way?
The question hidden within is ‘Do others feel the same?’
In this state of mind is it normal to be?
The question hidden within is ‘Is there something wrong with me?’

Perhaps we all wish for something to be wrong,
That we might ignore the root cause which is complex and frightening.
Would we be anxious if it were not for such fear?
Would we be upset if the answers were always near?

Why do I feel this way? We ask this only when in turmoil.
And so we associate this turmoil with the asking of the question.
Then it becomes difficult to answer and we simmer then boil.
We must instead accept that the question is positive and keep searching for an answer.

If we stop asking, stop searching, only then we truly become lost,
Lost for eternity in that inevitable twilight.
Only the lost seek to feel fear when we perform our swan song,
As only the found will go gentle into that good night.