• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Combination of feeling down, anxious and irritable

L

Lozbot

Hi,
I've been struggling mentally for the last 6 months since starting a new job. I can't put my finger on exactly what is making me feel like this - combination of feeling way out of my depth, panicky about how the nature of the job is to constantly have discussions with people I've never met (due to covid and also the size of the company), feeling isolated when working from home (3 days per week) but then anxious about the days I'm in the office as I'm paranoid about not being busy enough. I've been looking for another job and have a few interviews lined up - but it's frustrating as I know the company I work for now is really good, there are lots of opportunities, great salary, perks etc, contributing to life changing medicines - also my friend helped me into the job which is also awkward .... but I feel so unhappy. I'm either bursting into tears in the day or snapping at family and my dog, or thrashing around, irritable and unable to sleep during the night. Not sure what I should do.... I'm not even sure what my exact question is but I suppose it's quite cathartic to write this out. I feel so bad as my husband's brother has got cancer so my problems are so meaningless in comparison so I feel terrible venting to him.

Z

Zoe1

hi Lozbot :welcome:

yes writing it down is very helpful

I hope you like the forum

:grouphug:🕯

M

Mav2126

I feel very connected to what you are talking about. I have what is on the outside a really good job with lots of good coworkers. But I have been feeling anxious, sad, and irritable in waves over the past couple of months. I will have good days and then several bad days where I feel incompetent and with not enough work to do and worried that someone will find out. Have you consider making medication changes? I had a medication change a week ago and most of my days were good - its just today I feel weak and sad. So the cycle starts all over again. Very frustrating.

L

Lozbot

I feel very connected to what you are talking about. I have what is on the outside a really good job with lots of good coworkers. But I have been feeling anxious, sad, and irritable in waves over the past couple of months. I will have good days and then several bad days where I feel incompetent and with not enough work to do and worried that someone will find out. Have you consider making medication changes? I had a medication change a week ago and most of my days were good - its just today I feel weak and sad. So the cycle starts all over again. Very frustrating.
Thanks for the reply and hope you're ok 🤗 I'm not taking any medication, not sure whether I should or not....something to think about..

HellRider

HellRider

Very much can relate, I knew going into my new job that I wasn't going to enjoy it. It was always meant to be a temporary thing. BUT I LOATHE IT! I act very much like you, feeling out of my depth, dreading talking to strangers which this job requires, and well my anxiety springs mostly from feeling trapped at this job. It offers wonderful benefits and can potentially allow me to get a better position. I try to tell myself this to no avail, just today I was lying down on the floor tear rolling down my eyes because I don't see my future. You're lucky to be looking for another job I feel so utterly empty of energy and drive that all I want to do is play video games/watch shows and put my head in the sand. All I can say is keep on looking for that other job, find a way to change industry all together, or try to make use of the benefits from your organisation to help you make a change...but it aint easy

L

Lozbot

Very much can relate, I knew going into my new job that I wasn't going to enjoy it. It was always meant to be a temporary thing. BUT I LOATHE IT! I act very much like you, feeling out of my depth, dreading talking to strangers which this job requires, and well my anxiety springs mostly from feeling trapped at this job. It offers wonderful benefits and can potentially allow me to get a better position. I try to tell myself this to no avail, just today I was lying down on the floor tear rolling down my eyes because I don't see my future. You're lucky to be looking for another job I feel so utterly empty of energy and drive that all I want to do is play video games/watch shows and put my head in the sand. All I can say is keep on looking for that other job, find a way to change industry all together, or try to make use of the benefits from your organisation to help you make a change...but it aint easy

L

Lozbot

Thank you. I hope things get better for you too. I've been similar where I've had no motivation to do anything but have forced myself to have a look at some job sites over the last week or so and try and find alternatives. I know it's hard but maybe you could try and set aside 10 minutes every day to look for something.... It sounds daft but some of the interviews I've had have given me a confidence boost as I felt like I could act like a "different" person....