• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

college

M

MacDonald

im thinking about going back to college and looked at some sites and universities. I think the lay out for a lot of these sites are so shallow. They post picutres of geeky lokking freshmen students. A lot of students are 21 or older. It sends the wrong impression about the university. And why do all university accomodation have to be fursnished? Furniture is cheap and having your own bed or chair is nice. I wanted to study science but I can't findt any schools that have any interesting programs.

P

PortsmouthBFG

im thinking about going back to college and looked at some sites and universities. I think the lay out for a lot of these sites are so shallow. They post picutres of geeky lokking freshmen students. A lot of students are 21 or older. It sends the wrong impression about the university. And why do all university accomodation have to be fursnished? Furniture is cheap and having your own bed or chair is nice. I wanted to study science but I can't findt any schools that have any interesting programs.
Im 27 and im doing the exact same thing as you. Im going to do a year at college then 2-4 years at university studying software developing. I to noticed the prospectus's give off a very young geeky sometimes immature look. I suffer from Social anxiety and i really hope i dont get stuck with young silly kids. Dont want to start this and finish it before it ends.

I hope you manage to find somewhere you like macdonald let us know how you get on

DiagnosisBipolar2

DiagnosisBipolar2

You cannot judge an institution by it's website; that's just plain silly. Universities are packed with people in their 30's 40's and 50's nowadays, due to both the current economic climate and quite simply because in this day and age people do not always choose a career and stay in it for life as they did once upon a time.

The best way to choose a Uni is to look at the Universities that run the course you are interested in, make a short list, then visit them.

I wish you luck with your prospective course.

W

Watercolours

Although I’m not in the same country as you, I went back to college last September here in the UK to obtain an Access Diploma to allow me to get into University... I am loving returning back to college, it’s been great! There are a lot of older mature students on my course, I’m 32.

I’ve now got my place to start university this September! :)

My only real problem is I suffer with MH problems but my tutor was aware of this from the start, all was fine till an incident in December involving two other girls, it’s caused me some issues and social anxiety and making classes a little unbearable for me because I cannot stand to be around them!

Last edited:
L

Lil

I'm currently studying through "open universities". Basically I work full time and do a course part time off campus. I buy my study books, download the readings, have access to the participating universities libraries when i can get there as well a lot of their materials available in downloadable temporary ebooks and only. I am able to download lectures if i choose to my iPod and the university have forums set up for students and lecturers to correspond.

I find it a good option personally. Not sure if they have anything like that over there, but it does offer a lot of flexibility in regards to how far you live from campus's, work schedule (you can work full time, part time or not at all and just take on however many subjects a quarter you have the time for). It also gives you the option of easing into it - eg, taking one or two subjects the first quarter and then taking on 3 or 4 the next.

Good luck with finding a suitable uni and with your course! (y)

A

Alatariel

I think the idea behind the websites is that (and I'm generalizing here) a lot of the younger potential students need the college 'sold' to them for reasons other than a great curriculum, where as more mature potential students will look beyond the surface and make a decision based more on curriculum, reputation etc.