Collage Son having first manic episode

C

Collegemom

Hello! Looking for any insight to help. My 19 year old son is showing signs of being bipolar. He went to a psycholigist today and also his primary care provider. They both said he needs to go see a pyschiatrist although they did not diagnose him I feel that is what he will be diagnosed with. We have never been strong advocates of medication but from what I have read and heard from friends and those in the medical field that it will be an important part of him staying stable. Anyone have any good/bad experiences with medication. I know everyone responds differently but just wondering what your experiences have been with medication. Thanks for any input.

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
Hi there and welcome, only a psychiatrist can dx your son. And don’t be surprised if it takes a while before they decide if he does have a MH issue. Medication can be a life saver but it can take a few different attempts to find what is best for him and gives him the least side effects. Once he’s correctly medicated he should be able to cope with college