• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Cold Medicine Scares Me

M

Murasakibee

Well I'm not really sure this belongs in the OCD thread but, it is something I obsess over.

Every time my child gets a cold, I am afraid to give him cold medicine. For two reasons.

1) I am afraid to give him to much and make him sick. I have to check over and over before giving it to him, and even then I cant sleep while he sleeps because I am convinced I gave him too much.

2) I am afraid that it'll turn into a habit and even when he no longer is sick I'll just give him medicine, so I'll be drugging him to make him sleep and messing him up. Even though logically, that doesn't make any sense since it doesn't even help him fall asleep any faster or stay asleep longer. But I still am convinced of this, for some reason. So I keep a schedule on how often to give it to him, but then I still wonder if I am doing it to often even though his doctor okays it (once in the morning, Once in the afternoon, and once at night) and no more than 1.5 ml....if he's really bad I can give him another dose but no more than four times a day but I never do this because I am took afraid to make him sick.

His doctor requires me give him over the counter allergy medication and use a humidifier when he's sick due to his breathing issues. But it really, really bugs me and makes me think of myself as a bad mom.

But then, I think maybe I'm bad because even when he is really sick I only give him 3 doses, I never add in a fourth dose.

Sorry I really need to vent this out, my son is pretty sick right now (luckily not with covid-19)

Mayflower7

Mayflower7

Hi,
Please don't feel guilty, your not a bad mum.
I'm sorry your son has breathing issues, please do vent away.
Hugs

M

Murasakibee

Hi,
Hugs
The doctor has even tried to tell me to give him a higher dose now (2.5 ml) but it just seems too scary to do so and currently it seems to be working with just 1.5 ml.

M

Murasakibee

Hi,
Hugs
Also thank you for the kind words. I just worry so much and I know I shouldn't

Mayflower7

Mayflower7

Hi,
I'd go with what the dr says, they know what are safe doses.
However if you find the lower dose works and your happier giving that, go with that.
I'm sorry your scared, we are here for you.

M

Murasakibee

Hi,
I'd go with what the dr says, they know what are safe doses.
However if you find the lower dose works and your happier giving that, go with that.
I'm sorry your scared, we are here for you.
I might try to brave through it tonight and give him 2.5 ml because he struggles to breathe more at night. I really don't understand why it scares me so much since I am not very cautious with myself with medicine

Mayflower7

Mayflower7

I might try to brave through it tonight and give him 2.5 ml because he struggles to breathe more at night. I really don't understand why it scares me so much since I am not very cautious with myself with medicine
Good plan, I'm sure lots of parents have your fears.
Hugs

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 5