• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

cognitive analytic therapy: CAT

A

ann

hello! am new to this - newly diagnosed BPD. In her report psychologist suggested CAT - anyone experienced this or has views on it?!?!
thanks muchly

S

*Sapphire*

Hi Ann

And :welcome: to the forum.

I haven't been on CAT but I have heard a bit about it.

Here is a wiki link if you haven't already read up on it. There is alot about it on the web.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_analytic_therapy

I personally think different approaches help different people. So it is worth a try.

I had psychotherapy and CBT. And although they helped for a while I still struggled with my BPD. One treatment that has helped me lots is DBT. So if you don't find CAT helpful then keep trying at other treatments offered if there are.

My one personal reservation about CAT is wikis statement that it is ...

'Cognitive analytic therapy (CAT) was developed by Anthony Ryle. This brief therapy was developed in the context of the National Health Service in the United Kingdom with the aim of providing effective and affordable psychological treatment which could be realistically provided in a resource constrained National Health Service.'

It's the fact that it appears to be a therapy designed around a budget rather than the patient that doesn't sit well with me. However it does say it is effective so it is worth a try.

I don't know for me BPD was my life, I needed something more interactive, practical, long term and helpful when struggling with real life issues. DBT gave me that which other therapies didn't.

But then again that could be down to me at that time, the therapists I had, or even the styles they used. And simply just being at the right time and place to take it all in and make some real changes, who knows.

I wish you all the best with it all. Do let us know how it goes :)

A

ann

CAT

thanks sapphire. that was rather my impression too when I saw a reference to it as brief.. yet the NICE guidelines state that treatment shd be at least a year!
I allegedly had some DBT style input some years ago - 6 sessions with a psychologist talking to me about mindfulness etc. at the time I told her i didn't feel able to apply any of it - and her response was - well maybe you will at some point.

i was aware that I needed more support than just that. I hadn't been diagnosed at that stage.

am having very brilliant art therapy - have been having since January - weekly 1:1. As I talk a lot and then a lot more - and always about me!! yet without accessing my feelings - I find art therapy excellent as it bypasses the wordy bit and goes straight for the emotions jugular!
best wishes
Ann

S

*Sapphire*

Hi ann

The DBT I had was based around attending a group for the afternoon once a week and one therapy appointment once a week. Plus I had access to a mobile number I could ring out of hours within agreed terms and time periods arranged with my one on one therapist. My therapist also let me email and text her, but every therapist is different with what contact they allow. This is the usual way for DBT to be done. Plus I filled out two cards every day which would act as a record and reminder of what skills I had practiced and when as well as any 'behaviors' I had used.

I think without this set up DBT can be very difficult to absorb and apply in your daily life. For me it would have been impossible. It might be worth asking if there is now a group being run in your area as your last experience was years ago and not of the usual set up of the treatment.

This is of course if you don't find the CAT helpful and if you want to.

I hope you find the CAT helpful, let us know how it goes.

Take care.

S

starfish

dolores

i am still none the wiser would anyone like to explain?

A

ann

CAT

thanks, sapphire - but have just heard from my CPN that there is NO service for personality disorders in Cornwall - no CAT or DBT. Wonderful. My psychologist apparently put it in my report to add to the clamour for a service. Grrrrr...

S

*Sapphire*

That is terrible ann. I am glad that she added it to try and get the service there though. It really is a post code lottery with regards to treatment in the country. It is so wrong.

O

onwardsandupwards

I am currently having CAT. I have around six sessions left. Have recently done a mini review of progress with therapist and have achieved a lot. My problem/problems were all to do with intimate relationships. Have had bad experiences and wouldnt trust anyone. Controlling behaviour, low self esteem, self blaming etc. I have found that its really helped me. I still have some issues to sort but its not over yet so have to wait and see :) Gives you the opportunity to describe how you have been feeling/ you views on things and general life etc and your experiences and see how things that have happened in the past may have affected your future. I find its helped me to be more open minded. I was also given the task of writing a letter as though I was writing it to a friend...however it is to myself. We are all self critical so In the letter you try to be understanding towards yourself and through doing it learn to "give yourself a break" at times. This is one of the things that has helped me brilliantly. Good luck!