• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Cognitive ability decays with age

shaky

shaky

I heard a fellow on the radio this morning bemoaning how his coginitive abilities, like memory and speed of thought and stuff - have declined markedly with age
He is still not 50 years old!!!

I thought, this is tosh. I don't feel my abilities are any less than they were twenty years ago, and I am OVER 50.
I think that some people are destined to have rapidly declining brains (like this fellow on the radio) and are probably doomed to early dementia
And some of us have naturally robust brains and are destined to be as brigtht as a new pin until the day we die. (Like Elmore Leonard and Doris Lessing)

So I'm not worried.
I shall keep doing my crosswords, and writing, and learning and dancing (a great way to keep your mind active).

Last edited:
Anime-Alchemy

Anime-Alchemy

I believe there are ways to reduce the decline. So if someone is predisposed to a sharp decline in cognitive abilities, even that person can turn that sharp decline into a gradual decline. Things like crosswords, meditation, playing chess, learning new skills, learning another language, etc. These things will help.

Toasted Crumpet

Toasted Crumpet

ACCOUNT CLOSED
mine are declining. I'm early 40s. I think it may be depression and long term isolation and unemployment. Am taking Magnesium Threonate which is meant to absorb the blood-brain barrier better than other types of magnesium.

Not sure it's working though. Maybe I am just stupid and it isn't cogntive decline after all:unsure:

SarahD

SarahD

Lk
mine are declining. I'm early 40s. I think it may be depression and long term isolation and unemployment. Am taking Magnesium Threonate which is meant to absorb the blood-brain barrier better than other types of magnesium.

Not sure it's working though. Maybe I am just stupid and it isn't cogntive decline after all:unsure:
Definitely you are not stupid. Seem very bright to me and very witty and funny.

Depression especially can make for foggy brain! In my experience. Then add all the other stresses that come with mental health and, as you say, isolation, it does take a toll. It is something I worry about. But at least I am not as thick As I was when over drugged up.

Anime-Alchemy

Anime-Alchemy

You guys are not thick or dumb. Also mental health brings with it, it's own problems. But you can overcome any decline due to mental health.

Toasted Crumpet

Toasted Crumpet

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Lk

Definitely you are not stupid. Seem very bright to me and very witty and funny.

Depression especially can make for foggy brain! In my experience. Then add all the other stresses that come with mental health and, as you say, isolation, it does take a toll. It is something I worry about. But at least I am not as thick As I was when over drugged up.
Candida also makes the brain foggy. I think it's cos I had too many antibiotics as a child. But don't have the willpower to go on the candida diet. I get terrible blackbird, though, and think it is probably in my gut as well.

F

firemonkee57

I've been living in dumbville for quite a while now.

F

firemonkee57

Nothing intelligent about that. Anyone with a relatively average mind could have found and posted those articles if they had wanted to.

F

firemonkee57

I guess that tells me what you think of me, thanks!! :shrug: I must be super stupid!!!

!
I have never thought you're stupid, far from it. You often have an interesting and thought provoking take on things.

D

Dottyone

The BT Engineer Man came today, I told him people often think people with Mental Health Issues are a bit slow and its quite annoying, I told him how intelligent some people are on here.

Obviously brain degeneration is bound to happen with age, thats a fact.

God knows if Mental Health Medication brings it on sooner, I often do silly things like pouring the milk in the sugar jar. :unsure:

PS : their some very intelligent people on here, I mean that in a nice way. :)

Last edited:
BillFish

BillFish

Make the most of it whilst you can, most of us here will probably face dementia, tea and cakes and full adult nappies in some crap old peoples home. My aunt is 73 and is spending our inheritance as quick as you can say "five bob", she's currently in Sri Lanka on on a 3 grand 3 week holiday, because she knows damn well she'll end up in a home and have to sell her house.

D

Dottyone

Good on your Aunt Bill, I hope she bloody enjoys her Holiday.

Ps, I wear Nappies now Bill ;)

F

firemonkee57

"Prudent people would have 2 homes. One to pay for future care and the other to bequeath."

This has been a party political broadcast by the Conservatives.