• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Coffee Jitters or Hypomnia?

S

Something Is Wrong

A few months ago when I drank coffee I thought I got the coffee jitters but now that I think about it I don't think that was it. When I drank coffee I suddenly got A LOT of energy. I couldn't sit still, I was constantly fidgeting, I wanted to run like the wind, I wanted to laugh, I excitedly wanted to scream in people's face, I was feeling really happy etc. I was fidgeting so much I was basically falling off my chair. I just felt so so hyper and excited like never before. But the thing was that I was sitting in the library at that time so I really had to control myself.

I told my mom about this incident and she doesn't think it was the coffee jitters. Was that hypomania? This only lasted a few hours although it was fun while it lasted. But the thing was that since I was so fidgety I didn't get any work done (people have said when you're hypomanic you become really productive so I'm not sure).

I also heard that caffeine may trigger hypomania although I drink coffee quite a bit (not everyday though, I usually drink it like maybe once or twice a week because I don't want to get addicted to it). I only drank a medium cup though (not a lot).

Thoughts?

P.S. I don't have a diagnosis as of yet.

Last edited:
JennyWren32

JennyWren32

Hey. Truth is,while under the influence of caffeine there is no definite answer. I guess the only way to know this is if this happens in the absence of any caffeine or other stimulants. You say you're as yet undiagnosed,how far into that process are you?

S

Something Is Wrong

The process hasn't started yet because I haven't even made my way to the psychiatrist as of yet because I don't have the money (I don't have a job yet or anything so...). But I suspect that I may have Recurrent Brief Depression (RBD) (Understanding Recurrent Brief Depression - ) because the symptoms are just like mine, but then again I am no doctor.

The other time I felt hyper was a few hours AFTER i drank coffee (i felt hyper 2-3 hours after it) although it wasn't as severe as that day but I was still felt like bouncing around (too bad I was in the car).

G

Golden

When manic coffee makes me more manic. It's within ten minutes I believe. Just don't drink coffee if it does that to you. Mania and hypomania are not fun. In the early days you get excited but as the years go by it's horrid. I hate it now. Having bipolar is a nightmare that never ends. Don't take antidepressants.

Frost

Frost

If you're prone to hypomanic episodes, it stands to reason that caffeine (being a stimulant) could worsen/trigger them [citation needed]. With that said, if it's only lasting a few hours (half life of caffeine is what, 6 hours?) and all that's happening is you're getting really jittery, that sounds like it's just the effects of the caffeine.

JennyWren32

JennyWren32

Seems to me like a simple case of coffee making you jittery. What Frost says is on the nose,jittery for a few hours is not mania. God,if only! You know it's also possible that you're especially sensitive to caffeine? Try not to self diagnose. My symptoms, on the surface, fit about 6 MH disorders so you may unnecessarily scare yourself. Go to the doc and see if you can at least get referred to a psychologist for free. Where are you from?

C

coffeegeek

I love coffee as it is a stimulator of the brain. For me it is not a mania, just a habit. I don't know about hypomania, who can explain what does this mean?