• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

codeine

C

chloe

i was prescribed co codamol 30/500 for pain in my hips about 2months ago, since then i have become addicted to codeine, we had a rather large suply in the house as my partners brother-in-law was prescribed it for his ilness and was passing some of it on to us to take as pain killers when we needed it, but i am using it ever night now to sleep and cant sleep without it, im taking up to 8 pills at a time, i was diagnosed with depresion 3 weeks ago and am scared to mention this adiction to my gp as he may feel my depression is from this adiction which it isnt as i have suffered in silence with depression for over 6 years, i am on 100mg of sertraline now and although it hasnt started working at all i dont want my gp to stop the meds as they might start working for my depression, what should i do? :cry:

iffybob

iffybob

Hi

Do you still need them for pain relife ...?

2 things come to mind ...

1.. and prob the best all round, go to your GP be honest about the situation, and resolve it together .. this is probley the best option ... you cannot be treated correctly if they dont have the correct info to work with ...!

If you know you no longer need them

2. reduce the amount you are taking by say 1 pill per day a week at a time, till you are down to 1 pill a day, then 1/2 a day then quit .. ie a withdrawel and quit plan ...

Telling your GP is prob best .... boB ...

C

chloe

no i dont need them for pain any more, i fear about talking to my gp as i already feel that he doesnt understand how bad my depression is and if i tell him about this addiction he might think that this is coursing my depression which it isnt, i have been using codeine to help me to sleep at night, the depression was stopping me sleeping, and now i cant sleep without the codeine

iffybob

iffybob

Ok

Then that is what you need to tell your GP, I have/had drug habits, I explaine which came first, they either belive you or not, mine belives me cos he knows I am honest with him... and have known him over 20 years...

I still think the best option is '1' , go see your GP, be honest, sort it out between you as adults...

M

mad as a hatter

i agree u should go 2 ur gp and be honest with hm it won,t be doing ur stomach ne good taking that much tablets a day either

intelgal

intelgal

Founding Member
You MUST seek medical help as soon as possible. if you are taking 8 at a time this is an overdose. Although it is the codeine you could be addicted to it is the parcetamol that will cause damage. Parcetamol damage is lethal and very dangerous to your liver. Please seek help ASAP

Intel x