• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

clozapine?

Y

yours truly

Hi all, over the past 5 years Ive been on Olanzapine, respirdol and now seroquel ( sorry for the bad grammar)

But for the last couple of years my social worker, GP and psychiatrist are trying to push me onto clozapine

But im very apprehensive of it, because of the weekly blood tests. and dangerous side effects that come with it.

Im quite comfortable on the seroquel, because it sedates me and i feel quite numb on it.

Anyone tried Clozapine? was it better than the others? can my doctor force me onto it if I dont want to?

many thanks

skitzware

skitzware

Founding Member
Actually thats wrong, as of new legislation the Gov brought in last month.

Your doctor can order a CTO (Community Treatment Order) if you do not take the prescribed meds. They can force entry (as I understand), into your home and force you to take the meds.

If you still don't comply, they can section you to Hospital.

More info here: http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/ld200607/ldbills/001/07001.15-19.html

D

Danage

Actually thats wrong, as of new legislation the Gov brought in last month.

Your doctor can order a CTO (Community Treatment Order) if you do not take the prescribed meds. They can force entry (as I understand), into your home and force you to take the meds.

If you still don't comply, they can section you to Hospital.

More info here: http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/ld200607/ldbills/001/07001.15-19.html
I wasn't questioning that they can't force you to take medication, for Home Treatment could force me to take it if needs be, and if I still refused then I would be hospitalised of course. Am I right in saying that they can't make you take a new medication if the old one is working though?

skitzware

skitzware

Founding Member
By my understanding of the act. Your doctor can force this on you even if you think that the side effects are too detrimental. So by that I would imagine that
if your doctor deems it necessary, then yes they can force meds onto you.

I like how the act got in by the backdoor (so to speak), and no fanfair was raised. I've read a few sites where they say its an infringement of our liberties & that a terminally ill person can refuse meds yet someone with mental health problems can not.

D

Danage

By my understanding of the act. Your doctor can force this on you even if you think that the side effects are too detrimental. So by that I would imagine that
if your doctor deems it necessary, then yes they can force meds onto you.
Even if the ones you currently take work?

I like how the act got in by the backdoor (so to speak), and no fanfair was raised. I've read a few sites where they say its an infringement of our liberties & that a terminally ill person can refuse meds yet someone with mental health problems can not.
Interesting. I can see why terminally ill people might refuse to take medication.

S

schizolanza

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Hi Yours Truly. I can see why you dont want to take clozapine,I certainly wouldn't want to take such a dangerous medication either.
It seems a bit strange that they want to change your meds when you are doing so well on seroquel.

T

Twylight

It would be good to stay on Seroquel

I think clozapine is a good drug if your young and fit

They check your blood as there can be issues with white blood Cells

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
Clozapine, with the regular bloood tests you get continual support as a sort of side efect, am i cynical thinking that may be a reason why it's as effective

Me i've just been put on standard cpa which means i'll only be seen by the shrink in outpatients, the support worker i had also seems to be disapearing

May end up with my total contact once every 6 months with psychiatrist

Y

yours truly

thanks for your replies

i dont know why they keep pushing me towards clozapine. every time i refuse, they say well maybe you'll change your mind in 3 months. but i wont

i sometimes feel they want me on that stuff just so i die quickly and not be a burden on society. i know i shouldnt think that way, but it bothers me

anyway, i appreciate your comments as always

kind regards

D

Danage

thanks for your replies

i dont know why they keep pushing me towards clozapine. every time i refuse, they say well maybe you'll change your mind in 3 months. but i wont

i sometimes feel they want me on that stuff just so i die quickly and not be a burden on society. i know i shouldnt think that way, but it bothers me

anyway, i appreciate your comments as always

kind regards
I'm sure that's not how it is. Maybe they think you'll be better on clozapine. Have you asked them why they want you on it?