• Safety Notice: This section on Psychiatric Drugs/Medications enables people to share their personal experiences of using such drugs/medications. Always seek the advice of your doctor, psychiatrist or other qualified health professional before making any changes to your medications or with any questions you may have regarding drugs/medications. In considering coming off psychiatric drugs it is very important that you are aware that most psychiatric drugs can cause withdrawal reactions, sometimes including life-threatening emotional and physical withdrawal problems. In short, it is not only dangerous to start taking psychiatric drugs, it can also be dangerous to stop them. Withdrawal from psychiatric drugs should only be done carefully under experienced clinical supervision.

clozapine to zyprexa

V

Viktoria

I'm going from clozapine 750mg to zyprexa 10/15mg
Anyone know how long it takes for zyprexa to 'work'?

C

Christobel

I was put on Zyprexa (Olanzapine) 5 mg when I recently had a relapse of my schizoaffective disorder. I found it was very fast acting. It was not prescribed for psychosis but for its mood stabilising properties. I am now taking 2.5 mg and it is still working very well. Hope this helps.

Weeping Willow

Weeping Willow

It works within the hour for certain symptoms. For me, when depressed it lifts me within about five days. If manic, within the hour i am coming down.

You should lose weight on Zyprexa/Olanzapine. It is a very good medication in that there are very few side effects compared to others. I was on 10mg and then came down to 5mg which was enough for me. Maybe you should start at 10mg and then go up if needed. Why oh why do they always put you on the highest dose? I like to work my way up, seeing how i feel.

A CPN once told me that it was only over 10mg where you start to gain weight. That didn't seem right from my experience, but i think there is some change which happens when you go over 10mg so better to stay at 10mg if you can, in terms of weight gain. I wonder if it is above 10mg where it affects you metabolically?

Last edited:
V

Viktoria

How do you mean you should lose weight? It is known to make you gain weight als far as I know?
Are you saying they are putting me on high doses? I have fast metabolism meaning I need high doses to get the desired result.

For me it is prescribed to get rid of psychosis (apparently) does anyone know how long it takes to work for that?

V

Viktoria

Also I'm scared of coming off the clozapine :low:

C

Christobel

I've been on Zyprexa for five weeks now, and haven't gained any weight.

V

Viktoria

That's good to know, thanks. Are you also not more hungry than you used to be?
I was on zyprexa before and gained nearly four stone.

V

Viktoria

Also I'm quite scared of quitting clozapine

V

Viktoria

Can they be taken in combination does anyone know?

C

Christobel

That's good to know, thanks. Are you also not more hungry than you used to be?
I was on zyprexa before and gained nearly four stone.
My psychiatrist also told me that weight gain only happens at doses over 10 mg which backs up what Weeping Willow was saying. I haven't found that I've felt hungry, but always enjoy my food when I've cooked it.

Weeping Willow

Weeping Willow

How do you mean you should lose weight? It is known to make you gain weight als far as I know?
Are you saying they are putting me on high doses? I have fast metabolism meaning I need high doses to get the desired result.

For me it is prescribed to get rid of psychosis (apparently) does anyone know how long it takes to work for that?
I thought it was depression? Psychosis took one month.

Your current medication I believe is more weight gaining from what I have heard during admissions.

I don't know your required dose but feel those higher doses are for Schizoaffective and the like. Regardless, start at 15mg and you are in another category in terms of weight gain I was told by crisis lot.

Why can't you have the weight neutral ones like Aripiprazole? Amisulpride is better for weight gain and given to some with severe psychosis. Risperidone and Quetiapine less weight gaining surely. I don't know why the weight gaining meds unless it is a side effect issue but weight gain brings other health problems to many.

V

Viktoria

It's not for depression. It's against hearing voices in my case. I've had risperdal and Prozac they didn't help.
Im scared if I quit clozapine that my paranoia will return. I'll probably take 10 or 15 mg zyprexa.

Weeping Willow

Weeping Willow

It's up to you but a friend of mine has schizoaffective and she was put on 10mg and she was completely out of touch with reality and very manic. I have a fast metabolism too and i was ok on 7.5 mg for a long time. It is up to you but i would start at 10mg and give it a week before you decide. If you are not overweight then maybe it doesn't matter to you. I hated being overweight.

V

Viktoria

I'v been on zyprexa before, I think at 15mg. I'm not overweight but I have gained nearly four stone using medication. So I really want to lose that weight again which is gonna be tricky.

Weeping Willow

Weeping Willow

It's possible to lose weight or at least not let yourself gain much more, it's just that over 10mg thing. Maybe speak to your pdoc about it to find out if it is an issue. It is better to be overweight than paranoid though.

Poppy12

Poppy12

I was put on 10mg and put on 3.5 stone and the hunger I felt was insatiable. However much I ate it was never enough - awful. However that side effect does wear off in time. I've been on it several years now and I've lost 2.5 stone and that's on 20mg a day for the last five years (prior to that 10mg). It is VERY effective at controlling psychosis though and worked within a few days for me. So there are distinct pros and cons to consider.

V

Viktoria

Psychiatrist is on annual leave this week meaning I have to stay longer FFS :low:

V

Viktoria

Tomorrow the GP is working so fingers crossed that he can prescribe Zyprexa for me as it has been discussed previously in a meeting so he knows it is meant to be started. That way I can be discharged sooner than if I have to wait to speak to my psychiatrist Monday or even Wednesday next week.