• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Closed eye hallucinations

T

Topcat

(Not hypnagogic)
As long as I can remember I've done that thing where you close your eyes in a dark room, relax, and experience visual colours, fractals. Thinking about it, I also used to lay as still as I could and relax myself so much I became sort of numb and felt kind of floaty, I think I was bored a lot as a kid.
Anyway fast forward to now.
Sometimes I close my eyes, and I'm not trying to see anything, but within seconds it starts like a white light making what I'm 'looking at' appear brighter (I open my eyes usually thinking a light must've come on, but hasn't) and like a wide open space. Then pictures, scenes, appear, sometimes moving things and I can 'feel' the movement, and I can watch it like it's in front of me and I'm there.
Sometimes it's not so clear, images that keep morphing, I had an eagle flying in slow motion but it changed to a heron.
Last night I was watching a village street, shops lit up at dusk, a bend going downhill in the road, sandy coloured stone buildings, but no people.
I've had scary images before which are not so nice, and when I open my eyes it's as if the image is still in the dark room for a moment, sometimes I'm not sure if my eyes are shut or open.

I just wondered what caused these things to occur, I don't think I'm incredibly relaxed, or my mind not necessarily overactive, it seems quite random, and I don't do it on purpose like the colours.

8anana

Not hallucinations. but probably the closest thing to a genuine hallucination people will get.

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

I don't know what causes it but I get it a lot too. I can remember being enchanted by it when I was a young child.

V

voyager

I get that sometimes, I close my eyes and I get real kaleidoscope images and then they fade away.

V

voyager

I get images a bit like this, but I see a lot of white in the background and slower movement.

V

volnash

I hallucinate with closed eyes aswell. Sometimes i see what seems like energy floating, ive seen zeus also, among others, i dont see this as any illness, neither does therapist. ☺

T

Topcat

No, I know its not illness. Just wondered why they came on so vivid sometimes. Not managed to pin it down.
Maybe a diary of things would help.
Anyway, no bedtime visuals last night, just long winded in depth dreams.

Subject_Zero

Subject_Zero

I think they are vivid because you have been practicing those since you were a little kid. Practice makes perfect as they say. And I wouldn't call them hallucination and definitely not something wrong. Human mind hides many, many secrets. There are some known oobe or lucid dreaming and you can you can see imagine through the closed eyes. I'd say it's pretty cool. Don't worry about the scary stuff just remember you're the master and you can (probably) make it whatever you want :)