• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

close family member

• Thread starter Deleted member 94841
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 94841

a close family member got diagnosed with cancer yesterday. I feel in shock and haven't been able to concentrate on much since i found out. my head feels like it has an entire ocean inside it and my skull or eyes are going to pop under the pressure. I am very worried for her and for how it will affect the rest of the family. I hope everything will be ok.

Talina

Talina

Forum Safety Team
Cancer is a horrible disease, I hope your family member will be able to fight it and beat the cancer :hug:

JessisMe

JessisMe

Your family member is fortunate to have someone so concerned and caring in you. There are many successful treatments for cancer these days. Hopefully with the family’s loving support they will pull through. xo, j

R

RedYeti

Sorry to hear that Shosh. Cancers a bitch, especially when it’s someone close. All the best to you and your family 😊

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
It's a massive shock, but the good news is, it gets easier from here.

Once the news settles in for everyone, then you can focus on what treatment is chosen.

Then it is helping the person in between their treatments with physical care but so importantly, lots of fun, laughter, nice days out, presents and hugs.

Covid is a real pain at times like this, i really hope you manage to all see each other despite how careful you will all have to be if your loved one starts treatment.

I don't know if you have much money, but getting some flowers delivered i personally think is job number 1. It seemed to make my loved one feel so special and loved. A flower is such a beautiful thing too.

Getting out in the fresh air, to the beach or the park, it is so important. We all feel worse when we stay indoors or in our bedroom.

Huge numbers of people survive and live a full life. I have a close relative with it, and she is doing well, had the all clear. A friend is also doing well, diagnosed at the same time. Old colleagues from 15 years ago had it, they are still well. An old school friend's mum had it when i was a child and she is still doing well 30 plus years later.

There are some sad stories, but even with those special people, we had so much fun and love before they passed away. We all got through it because we had no choice. You have to just go with the flow.

D

Deleted member 94841

Tawny, thank you so much, that is such a kind and helpful reply.i really appreciate it

Mayflower7

Mayflower7

Hi Shosh,
Sorry to hear your sad news, lots of people can beat cancer these days.
She/he is lucky to have you in there life as support.
Please do use us for support.
Hugs

D

Deleted member 91323

Hello Shosh. I am very sorry to hear this. My thoughts are with you.

D

Deleted member 94841

Thank you everyone, I sent my mum flowers it was a really nice suggestion Tawny, thank you. They should arrive today or tomorrow. I really wish I could see her and give her a big hug though. I need to self isolate first though because she is already covid vulnerable, even before the new diagnosis. i'm not sure she will be happy for me to come see her because she is afraid of covid and it will be very difficult for me to get there without using public transport which is of course a risk. At least if i isolate then maybe it's an option. Though it gets complicated because I know she is worried about my MH getting worse and won't want me to not see my partner for support. But my partner cannot completely isolate, it is not possible for her. It is hard to work out what to do to be honest.

D

Deleted member 95745

I'm sorry to hear about this. I hope everything will get better for you and your family. Wishing you all the best and a lot of support. 🌻