• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Claiming Incapacity with "undiagnosed" MH issue

IMANUST

IMANUST

Ive been out of work for 3 years now and on regular JSA benefits since, however Im wanting to get onto Incapacity as it offers me more freedom and understanding towards what I have.
The problem is I havent "officially" been diagnosed with what I believe is Bi-Polar, although I was verified as having depression by the Doctors in my early teens and had to visit a Psychiatrist when I was 16 for various issues.

Im also on Topiramate now (for Migraine control) which exaggerates my mood swings and has given me side effects of slurred speech, confusion, paranoia and the usual traits associated with this tablet.

Despite this my Doctor still treats me like a second-class ctizen when I first tried to claim for Incapacity for my Heart problems, he made me feel like a criminal and refused to give me another sick-note saying HE felt there was nothing wrong with me (he should try being sick 2 weeks every couple of months and constantly being fired from work because of it.) Would there be any way I could claim Incapacity benefit for my Bi-Polar without having to go through the Medical Practise? Would the Psychiatrist near to me be able to help?

DiagnosisBipolar2

DiagnosisBipolar2

If you are intending to claim ESA you will need a supportive GP. All claimants who are eligible for Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) will be in the Assessment Group for the first thirteen weeks of their claim. Eligibility for this group is based on having sick notes and either having paid enough national insurance contributions or passing a means test similar to the current test for income support.

If you find your GP unsupportive then change GP it is your right to do so!

With regards to getting a diagnosis you will need to ask your GP (or new one) to refer you to your local mental health team to carry out a full mental health screening.

S

shywolf

my incapacity claim is being reveiwed which means i might hav to travel on a bus to glasgow to explain why i cant work the thought of the journey alone fills me with dread i cant wait till its over dont know what ill do if i lose my benifits propably have to take more medication just to cope with having to actively seek work and be around others who think im so strange and weird:(

DiagnosisBipolar2

DiagnosisBipolar2

my incapacity claim is being reveiwed which means i might hav to travel on a bus to glasgow to explain why i cant work the thought of the journey alone fills me with dread i cant wait till its over dont know what ill do if i lose my benifits propably have to take more medication just to cope with having to actively seek work and be around others who think im so strange and weird:(
If you feel unable to travel there you can ask your GP to ask them for a home visit on your behalf. Do you have a good GP?

S

shywolf

i dont like to bother my gp with this as she has more important things to do:unsure:also my home is a mess and i dont like letting people in my house would rather travel than do that just imagine them laughing at me and telling people what a mess i live in

Last edited: