• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Citalopram

W

woolboy

Hi all,

I have been on Citalopram since February 2008 following a major panic attack episode. I was a regular dope smoker prior to this which waqs ultimately my downfall. My recovery was succesful and i had got to the stage where i felt i had fully recovered but my doctor told me i should continue to take the Citalopram just as a precautionary measure.

In recent months i have been getting episodes where i have felt on edge for a few days and have sometimes felt withdrawn. I researched the side effects of the drug and i seem to be displaying most of them.

I think i no longer need to take this drug as i feel great most of time appart from these short episodes. I think the drug is now having an adverse effect on me.

I would welcome any feedback

Thanks for any help you can give

D

Dollit

Talk to the doctor - you may be experiencing side effects but it may be something else. It's best to be on the safe side especially as this is a peer group forum mostly and none of us are qualified to make a judgement over the web - don't want to make things worse for you! Good luck and let us know how you get on.

A

Apotheosis

In recent months i have been getting episodes where i have felt on edge for a few days and have sometimes felt withdrawn. I researched the side effects of the drug and i seem to be displaying most of them.

I think i no longer need to take this drug as i feel great most of time appart from these short episodes. I think the drug is now having an adverse effect on me.
It could well be the case that this is true. Unfortunately all drugs have side effects, & psychiatric drugs are in a league of their own for having the potential for severe side effects. Also unfortunately; although Doctors & psychiatrists are often very good at prescribing us every drug under the sun; they are not so good at helping us off them, nor do they seem very educated on long term effects of drugs & withdrawal effects. Usually their only reference is a medical drug reference manual, which goes into no detail on withdrawal effect etc. I don't think it's right that Doctors prescribe such things without the expertise to help people withdraw from them. All their training virtually consists of prescribing.

From well over a decade of researching such matters; this is about the best article I have found in giving impartial & comprehensive information to those considering reduction & drug withdrawal. It is neither pro nor anti drugs -

http://www.freedom-center.org/freedom-center-icarus-project-publish-coming-psychiatric-drugs-guide

The article is free to download/view/or print off.

For a more pro active & critical, medically based look at the dangers of psychiatric drugs; there is this site -

http://www.breggin.com/

I accept having to take a low dose of one drug. It is the lesser of two Evils. Due to lack of services, accessible alternatives & a total lack of competent professional help in supported withdrawal, I plod on with taking it. Good luck with getting med free successfully. It is something I would love to be.

R

Roger Waldram

Dear Woolboy,
I thought I'd offer some comments to add to what's been said already. I'm a humanistic psychotherapist and have helped several clients come off medication, after discussion with their doctors.
Just as any medication will cause our body to adapt over a period, so we need to give our body the time to adapt to less medication. The general rule seems to be reduce by a tenth for a period of weeks, then another tenth & so on.
A couple of useful books are 'Pychiatric Drugs Explained' by David Healy', (a psychiatrist who covers 'withdrawal symptoms' & 'detoxification' in some depth) and 'Coming Off Psychiatric Drugs' ed. by Peter Lehmann, which is personal stories & advice from those who have 'come off' pretty heavy medication.
This is an excellent site www.comingoff.com (hoped that would create a link, but!).
Good support is essential as are good stress relief techniques. I hope this helps & good luck,
Roger

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Introduce Yourself 2