• Safety Notice: This section on Psychiatric Drugs/Medications enables people to share their personal experiences of using such drugs/medications. Always seek the advice of your doctor, psychiatrist or other qualified health professional before making any changes to your medications or with any questions you may have regarding drugs/medications. In considering coming off psychiatric drugs it is very important that you are aware that most psychiatric drugs can cause withdrawal reactions, sometimes including life-threatening emotional and physical withdrawal problems. In short, it is not only dangerous to start taking psychiatric drugs, it can also be dangerous to stop them. Withdrawal from psychiatric drugs should only be done carefully under experienced clinical supervision.

Citalopram.

K

KShiz

Citalopram for anxiety?

Is anyone on this, and what dosage?

Im only on 10mg & am thinking of going back to my doctors I don't feel anything has changed greatly.

x

intelgal

intelgal

Founding Member
I have been on this drug for about 6 months and have found the effects have been overall beneficial. I initially started on 10mg and this has been increased a couple of times. Def worth a trip back to your GP and worth sticking with it.

K

KShiz

Ive probably been on it for over a year, at 10mg. It has helped, people noticed that I was happier in myself. However I am still struggling to go to social events, for example tonight i was meant to be going out with my friends.

And I just wonder if an increase in dosage may help? I havent really experienced any side effects with this.

x

Mitch

Mitch

I started off on 10mg of it for many months, then my GP doubled the dose to 20mg. But after many many many months, my anxiety & depression were still so very prevalent, I stopped taking them. My GP still prescribes them & I just put them in the cupboard.

My overall state I can honestly say, is the same whether taking them or not.

Peace X

intelgal

intelgal

Founding Member
I have been prescribed a few different anti depressents but this is the first time I have had it in collaboration with therepy. I personally feel that its this combination that has helped the most. I am not sure that anti d's work alone.
I just wish I had therepy years ago!

intel

S

SallyS

I have been taking 40mgs of Citalopram for approx 5 years now. Though for me it's called Celexa.

I had been suffering with social phobia, minor agoraphobia (couldn't go anywhere without my husband) and panic attacks. Prior to that I had issues with depression for several years.

It took going to a proper psychiatrist who specialized in depression medications, we tried a few things and settled on the celexa. It's helped me enough that I returned to work and am now working full time in a large office.

It worked for me and is still working, obviously. But now I am scared to go off it. I'm working with a homeopath to find a natural, safe solution. A learning process.

E

elpi111

I started on Prozac for depression and then was taken off it (due to spasms!) and started on Citalopram. I took it for six months at 20mg. It must have helped, in terms of calming down the extreme anxiety I was suffering. However, from what I understand it is VERY IMPORTANT to give any medication at least four weeks to see if it works. It can take up to 3 weeks for the effects to kick in.

If you feel that Citalopram isn't working PLEASE go back to your doctor and tell them. I agree that anyone's best bet is taking the medication WITH a talking therapy. I may have come off it too quickly but I have been feeling 'good enough' for long enough I feel to justify stopping the pills. The fact that I still see a therapist is probably helping me too.

Please note that these pills are not addictive. I have always hated taking any kind of medication but sometimes we just need something to try and balance us enough to help ourselves. Good luck with it all and take care...elpi.xx

S

Sall1

Founding Member
I've been on Citalopram for several months now at 40mg. The GP was going to up my dose to 60mg for depression and anxiety as I found that she had to prescribe me diazepam aswell for the anxiety.

Anyway it did work for me but I got sick of taking it so I stopped suddenly 8 days ago - 40mg to nothing overnight! Not a good idea as the withdrawals are not good.

Citalopram does work for people as it did do for me.

My problem was psychological rather than physical regarding tking it - I just felt a lack of control in how my dose was upped a lot and felt really sleepy as the doses crept up. I had to take control against medical advice.

I'm not advocating stopping meds against medical advice - all i'm saying is that the drug works but everyone is different.:hug:

bluenomore

bluenomore

I've been on Citalopram for about 8 months. Started on 20mg and increased to 40mg 4 months ago. I was prescribed because of depression and anxiety. The depression has lifted very slightly but if anything, the anxiety has got worse.

I had been given hydroxine (spelling?) an anti-histamine, which worked in that I would get tired and fall asleep, thus relieving the symptoms. This was supposed to only be a short-term thing and I ran out a long time ago. I was on Alprazolam / Diazepan prior to that but was gradually weened off those because of addiction problems.

Now, I've resorted to alcohol to take the edge off. Working atm but I realise it's not a viable solution.

stargazer

stargazer

Essex but sunny florida would be nice!!!!!!!!!!
citalopram

i've had deppression for over 11yrs:eek: i was perscribed citalopram about 6months ago 10mg that done almost nothing:confused: so upped to 20mg it has helped but cirtainly not cured me,im so angry so much it drains me, funny i changed my profile tonight and while doing so i started crying??:cry: is it really helping? i believe so but you have to work so hard to control this ilness meds are only part of the healing proccess many other things need to be applyed, does anyone know what the other things are???:help:

Wynn

Wynn

Mindfulness is the one thing I have found that really works.

S

saffron

o was first put on that and it made me tens times worse, could not control my emotions and made things that had been worrying me seem twice as worse, Igot to the point that I took the lot in the end in a bid to end it, did not work, obviously, aparentey a mate turned up and I went off my head httin and screaming about stuff. I couldnot remember a thing abut it. I though, hang on this is not right, stopped it and felt the difference straight away, I went back to my gp and said what happened and he said it was too strong and put me on something else.
and yes I think meds are given, not as a cure or as a one and only step to normality, but to put you in the frame of mind where you can then help yourself, if it does not give you this then it is the wrong drug for you, my opinion that is. just think of how many people say they have been on the same mmed for years but still it does not help in apositive way.
even though sometimes I think we are intune with ourselves, we know there is something not right, we know our thoughts and feelings are haveing a negative reaction on life, but still we do not look deep enough, we are only exploring the surface.
when we can really look deep into ourselves and exept ourselves a it better can we really look at what we need to help ourselves. cos only we can know that.
What do we/you/I want in life?
why, when we feel something, can we not express, control it or acknowledge it?

I read a bbit of a book today that was really thought provoking, one part was this,

What you can do to minimise the part emotional pain plays in your life, without bricking up your heart, is to develop an emotional antennae for the people and situations that coud cause you trouble.

some people think fear is the opposite of love and certanly, fear is also a strong emotion, like love and hatred it has a gravitational pull. Unlike love and hatred the gravitational pull is inward, holding us small and leading us to run from and avoid what we fear.

I dont think there is one answer for everyone, But to help someone look and think in a happier and more positive way can sometimes be the best help out there, because it helps the person to stop fighting themselves. .

I try to find something around me that makes me feel happy, this lifts my mood and puts me in the position to rationalise my emotions instead of uncontrolling them, ok, it does not work all the time, ut hey Im human.

S:grouphug:

Lozzi_1004

Lozzi_1004

I was put on 20mg when my GP diagnosed me with depression... it sent me sky high!! I was manic for 3 months+ Eventually came down & the GP thought nothing of it so when I became depressed, prescribed me it AGAIN! Clever bunch of people :rolleyes:
It stopped my depression though, I can't complain at that :p and apart from the mania (who was to know I had bipolar!?) had no other side effects

schizolanza

schizolanza

I was on it for about 6 months .I think I was on 10mg.
I can't say that it helped very much.

Wynn

Wynn

Saffron - really wise words, that ring very true to my experience. Thanks, you have a great way of putting things.

What book were you reading, if you don't mind me asking?

S

saffron

thank you, the ook is called, 'everything iv ever learned about love' by Lesley Garner. it is a lovely and inspirational read and would recommend it to anyone.

hope you can find a copy
S

KP1

KP1

Founding Member
I was on citalopram on a high dose of 60mg for several months and tolearted it fairly well. I've since been on another ad and now am starting with escitalopram which is another version of it (sorry I don't know the science behind it) now on 10mg but I think it is stronger than citalopram. Time will tell with it now. I certainly don't think there the worse types of anti depressants. I am going to be taking it with a dose of lithium to augment it which I think makes it work better.

T

Terrier

Ive been on 20mg of citalopram for about 4 years....but i made the mistake of thinking they were not working so i used to stop taking them.

I didnt think they made a difference but my wife saw a vast improvment when i took them on a regular basis.

So that and recieving proper help at last, things are better....slow steps as always.

Terrier

S

saffron

KP i think that is cipralex the same as me, 10mg, put me on that when I went of head on the other. they are given in 10mg becasue it is equivilant to 40mg or ,say, prozac. but I think the way it works is different as I do not have a problem on these at all.
S