• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Citalopram .. Results or just side effects?

B

Barbie Doll

Has anybody been prescribed Citalopram for Depression/anxiety/ both?
I'm not feeling tons better like I hoped, or am I just expecting too much? Also the side effects aren't great. Feel a bit spaced out all the time and libido has nosedived. Don't get me wrong I would put up with it if they were actually helping significantly but not feeling a huge amount of difference. I'm only on 20mg which is apparently a low dose. Is it possible I just need the dose increased or have people found increasing the dose increases the side effects? Pretty new to the post diagnosis stuff... I just dealt with it myself for 15 years. Finally accepted it xx

C

cally75

Has anybody been prescribed Citalopram for Depression/anxiety/ both?
I'm not feeling tons better like I hoped, or am I just expecting too much? Also the side effects aren't great. Feel a bit spaced out all the time and libido has nosedived. Don't get me wrong I would put up with it if they were actually helping significantly but not feeling a huge amount of difference. I'm only on 20mg which is apparently a low dose. Is it possible I just need the dose increased or have people found increasing the dose increases the side effects? Pretty new to the post diagnosis stuff... I just dealt with it myself for 15 years. Finally accepted it xx
Hi!
Yeah, as with most things, you will feel spaced out for 3 or 4 weeks I know I did.
Bear with it, that will subside.

They do help. U gotta give it time!
I assume you've only been on them a few weeks?

B

Barbie Doll

Hi Cally, thanks for replying.
was on 10mg for a month or so and just gone up to 20mg a week ago. Will stick with it in hope!
Do you mind me asking what dosage you're on? X

C

cally75

Hi Cally, thanks for replying.
was on 10mg for a month or so and just gone up to 20mg a week ago. Will stick with it in hope!
Do you mind me asking what dosage you're on? X
I stopped taking them hun. Didn't feel they were helping.
Am on 40 mg mirtazapine now. They're all pretty much the same. I think everything u take will have side effects til your system gets used to it. The citalopram I was on 20mg. Most things will make u feel worse before u feel better. Just gotta give them a chance.
Hope that helps!

MarlieeB

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Me and Citalopram did not have a great relationship at all.

I was actually taken off them very quickly (to the point that my GP made me go cold turkey) because if I hadn't I wouldn't be here typing right now.

Also 40mg of Mirt? you sure you don't mean 45mg?

C

cally75

Me and Citalopram did not have a great relationship at all.

I was actually taken off them very quickly (to the point that my GP made me go cold turkey) because if I hadn't I wouldn't be here typing right now.

Also 40mg of Mirt? you sure you don't mean 45mg?
Sorry no 30 mg!

valleygirl

valleygirl

After I got through the first few weeks of drowsiness citalopram was very effective for me, and it helped me get through my last year of my BA. But I eventually had to have the dose increased to 40 mg, and I started to have hypomanic episodes, so I was put on Seroquel, but continued to have hypomania, so eventually had to come off citalopram.

B

Barbie Doll

Thanks for your comments everyone.. Seems I'll have to just stick with it for a while and see what happens xx

C

Caro5

I was on 10 for a long time. Stopped and not much difference. Recent noise five went back on started at 10 and no change so went up to 20 and it has helped me a lot. I am lucky in that I don't seem to get much side effects which is odd as loads of other meds I react to badly. Basically I am feeling more tired but I was so hyper and sleeping so badly before that feeling properly tired and sleeping tor more than 2 hours is great.

L

Ladylala

Hey I take citalopram for anxiety it has really helped! It has also helped my mood too! :) the only side effect I get is feeling sick.

B

Barbie Doll

Sorry Caro5 only just seen your post. Yeah the side effects do seem to subside with me if I persever long enough and I take them at the same time each day. I've had the odd cold sweat and had to stick my head between my legs as I feel like I'm gonna pass out but that's when I mess around with them, it passes after about a minute and it gives me a kick up the arse to take them properly!
Ladylala yeah it definitely helps my anxiety, I'm still a worrier but the butterflies for no reason don't happen so much. Also less sad for no reason so I'm definitely going to stick with them :) x

P

Plumage

Hi, hope you are getting used to side effects by now.

I've been taking citalopram for over fifteen years on and off... I don't cry for hours and hours now. My bouts of crying are quite short these days.

The first three to six weeks of starting are the worst, ever.

I've noticed that the first twelve weeks coming OFF them (reduced and managed) are relatively easy however there comes a crash after that and starting again can be hell all over again.

I take 40mg, daily, for the foreseeable future.

The only side effects that I notice are a metallic taste and dry mouth, plus little to no sexual function.

P

Plumage

Hi, hope you are getting used to side effects by now.

I've been taking citalopram for over fifteen years on and off... I don't cry for hours and hours now. My bouts of crying are quite short these days.

The first three to six weeks of starting are the worst, ever.

I've noticed that the first twelve weeks coming OFF them (reduced and managed) are relatively easy however there comes a crash after that and starting again can be hell all over again.

I take 40mg, daily, for the foreseeable future.

The only side effects that I notice are a metallic taste and dry mouth, plus little to no sexual function.

T

Thoth

Yeah, as with most things, you will feel spaced out for 3 or 4 weeks I know I did.
Bear with it, that will subside.
Weird, I never felt like that whenever I was on it. It is the most weakest drug I've ever had, did nothing for me, and I never really got any of the side-effects. 20mg is pretty standard to my knowledge, they don't like going up to 30mg because of serotonin syndrome although when I went 30mg for that temporary time it didn't do much for me. I was only on it for about 2 years, I was glad we moved onto something else.

My cousin has said she was on it for 5 months, and only at 10mg. She said she was high as a kite on it constantly.

C

cally75

Weird, I never felt like that whenever I was on it. It is the most weakest drug I've ever had, did nothing for me, and I never really got any of the side-effects. 20mg is pretty standard to my knowledge, they don't like going up to 30mg because of serotonin syndrome although when I went 30mg for that temporary time it didn't do much for me. I was only on it for about 2 years, I was glad we moved onto something else.

My cousin has said she was on it for 5 months, and only at 10mg. She said she was high as a kite on it constantly.
I know what u mean buddy! Still, better than the early amphetamine based ones I used to take..now they DID make u high. I was walking round all day grinning like an idiot & still managed to hold a job down!

What kind of meds do u have in Australia? Assume they're similar to uk ones?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K Anxiety Forum 3
S Anxiety Forum 1
M Anxiety Forum 4
M Anxiety Forum 5
L Anxiety Forum 1