• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Citalopram anyone recommend anything else

Nirvana2991

Nirvana2991

Hey guys I'm on citalopram 20mg and feel it isnt doing much I have low levels of energy still,
Still have periods of low mood but upto works for my anxiety,

M

Mister_Fabulous formerly BetaMale

J

Johntron9999

Hey guys I'm on citalopram 20mg and feel it isnt doing much I have low levels of energy still,
I'd try 30mg. Max is 40. I bought a blender and now it's so much easier to eat healthy I made a kale, Banana, blueberry shake all fruits and vegetables from the grocery store and it noticebly helps me feel better. And I have severe gad..... Otherwise I might eat an apple or banana here and there which didn't really do much because it's hard to force feedburself whole foods but a blender makes it a breeze and you cram in so much nutrition for ur brain health

T

Toofguy

I'd try 30mg. Max is 40. I bought a blender and now it's so much easier to eat healthy I made a kale, Banana, blueberry shake all fruits and vegetables from the grocery store and it noticebly helps me feel better. And I have severe gad..... Otherwise I might eat an apple or banana here and there which didn't really do much because it's hard to force feedburself whole foods but a blender makes it a breeze and you cram in so much nutrition for ur brain health
When going up to 30 from 20 did you experience massive side effects like when getting on it initially?

I’m on 20 and now it feels like it’s not working. Not sure if it’s absorbing properly or that my underlying GAD if overworking the 20 mg limit. It feels like even at 20 for years my body is going through initial side effects even while keeping the dose at 20. SMH.

J

Johntron9999

When going up to 30 from 20 did you experience massive side effects like when getting on it initially?

I’m on 20 and now it feels like it’s not working. Not sure if it’s absorbing properly or that my underlying GAD if overworking the 20 mg limit. It feels like even at 20 for years my body is going through initial side effects even while keeping the dose at 20. SMH.
when i went to 30mg i didnt notice any side effects at all. your body will build tolerence i would say that 20mg is going to wear off at some point that might be happening... i would try 30 for atleast a weak and see what it does. if not i guess its phychiatrist time and trying a new method for treatment right. did 20mg help you at all?? like altogether has it worked somewhat?? and now its just losing its touch?

T

Toofguy

My main problem is insomnia. I’ve been on 20 of citalopram for 3 years now. Wonder if I got a bad batch. I talked to a pharmacist and he said to try another generic mfg. it’s working somewhat now and have been getting some of the original side effects even at 20. Will also switch to AM dosing. I did that about 2 months ago and found it worked for a little while.

E

Earl J

I am on 30mg for around 6 yrs, it works great for me. Once the winter is over and the evenings get longer and there’s more sunshine I tweak it down to 20mg, then in autumn with shorter days and dark long nights I bring it back up to 30mg. This works great for me. You should definitely take it in the mornings at regular times, if I want a lie in I set my alarm for the time I usually take it and then go back to sleep for my lie in. Also have a banana with your breakfast these have natural antidepressants and then try to drink two glasses of water this helps to flush the meds around your system. I take also take 75mg of Quetiapine and this gets me to sleep every night with no problem. Please let me know how you get on.

T

Toofguy

Will do.

Once at 30 , how long did it take to stabilize and have it work properly? 4-6 weeks?

I

isittrue

I take 40 mg and told my doctor always tired so he added 300 mg wellburin. Well not sleepy all the time now. Going to see if I get something different.

T

Toofguy

when i went to 30mg i didnt notice any side effects at all. your body will build tolerence i would say that 20mg is going to wear off at some point that might be happening... i would try 30 for atleast a weak and see what it does. if not i guess its phychiatrist time and trying a new method for treatment right. did 20mg help you at all?? like altogether has it worked somewhat?? and now its just losing its touch?
Hi
Yes 20 did work for the last 3 yrs. now it’s not working as well as it did. So yes I feel it’s losing it’s touch as you say. I can tell it’s working a little because I would have had numerous panic attacks already but I haven’t yet. But.., I feel like crap and can’t sleep so it’s adding accelerant to a smoldering fire.

Not sure if increasing dose means it’s going to always need to be that way forever. Moreover, I hope it’s not a sign of it eventually not working period for me. Ugh.

J

Johntron9999

Hi
Yes 20 did work for the last 3 yrs. now it’s not working as well as it did. So yes I feel it’s losing it’s touch as you say. I can tell it’s working a little because I would have had numerous panic attacks already but I haven’t yet. But.., I feel like crap and can’t sleep so it’s adding accelerant to a smoldering fire.

Not sure if increasing dose means it’s going to always need to be that way forever. Moreover, I hope it’s not a sign of it eventually not working period for me. Ugh.
You can go up to 40mg so try more and see if u get a bump. In the mean time try vegetables and diet, and fish oils and even some CBT or something. Exercise for sure. Just relying on SSRIs will not help form a stronger brain against depression so lifestyle choices should go with it

E

Earl J

I think my psych gave me good advice to drop to 20 for summer and up to 30 for winter that way my brain does not get used to the same amount. I also take Lamictal 200mg and Quetiapine 75mg. The way he explained it was Lamictal to keep me level, Citalopram to give me a lift and Quetiapine to help me sleep. Are you only on Citalopram ?

T

Toofguy

I think my psych gave me good advice to drop to 20 for summer and up to 30 for winter that way my brain does not get used to the same amount. I also take Lamictal 200mg and Quetiapine 75mg. The way he explained it was Lamictal to keep me level, Citalopram to give me a lift and Quetiapine to help me sleep. Are you only on Citalopram ?
Yes only on citalopram. I do workout but this quarantine has made me a bit different. Interestingly enough, when I’ve had depression/anxiety issues it had been in the spring and early summer. It may have something to do with the xtra sunlight.

P

PowerPup16

I have been on citalopram 30mg for a while now and it really helps. To reduce tiredness I am on zopiclone 3.75 mg x2