• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

• Safety Notice: This section on Psychiatric Drugs/Medications enables people to share their personal experiences of using such drugs/medications. Always seek the advice of your doctor, psychiatrist or other qualified health professional before making any changes to your medications or with any questions you may have regarding drugs/medications. In considering coming off psychiatric drugs it is very important that you are aware that most psychiatric drugs can cause withdrawal reactions, sometimes including life-threatening emotional and physical withdrawal problems. In short, it is not only dangerous to start taking psychiatric drugs, it can also be dangerous to stop them. Withdrawal from psychiatric drugs should only be done carefully under experienced clinical supervision.

Citalopram and suicidality

ScaredCat

ScaredCat

I started on Citalopram about 2 to 3 months before Christmas and since then my suicidal thoughts/urges seem to have got worse and worse to the extent I ODed about 3 weeks ago. I am now starting to wonder if it could be the medication making them so bad? Just wondering if this could be the case?

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I never found that with them sorry. :hug1:

W

Waverunner

I was told that it was common on this drug for suicidal thoughts to increase although I didn't experience this.

ScaredCat

ScaredCat

Thankyou

Just hope psych says it could do that when I see him on Wed. Wont be able to keep resisting.

S

schizolanza

ACCOUNT CLOSED
i didnt find citalopram particularly helpful.im now on venlafaxine.i had the suicide risk explained to me once.something vague about i cant remember exactly.i have been suicidal myself more than once.
i was led to believe that the risk increase was very small.
if you are having suicidal thoughts then you have my empathy since i also have this to deal with.
i believe there is a window of opportunity to get help and go to accident and emergency and tell them if you or your family believe you are at risk.you might get sectioned but that is better than a suicide.

S

schizolanza

ACCOUNT CLOSED
but suicidal thoughts are in my experience pretty common.its a balancing act for me between this and having real suicidal intent.

E

english rose

That is what happened to me. I was taken off them after 8 weeks. I don't react well to SSRI's
I tried to get a doctor to prescribe me anti-depressants that were not SSRIs - big fail, dr was obviously in the SSRI fan-club.

H

Helena1

Staff Member on Leave
I tried to get a doctor to prescribe me anti-depressants that were not SSRIs - big fail, dr was obviously in the SSRI fan-club.
how many SSRI's have you been on, usually they want you to be on at least 2 and i was on 4 before a non SSRI was offered.

MarlieeB

ACCOUNT CLOSED
how many SSRI's have you been on, usually they want you to be on at least 2 and i was on 4 before a non SSRI was offered.
I was one of the "lucky ones"

I've gone SSRI,SNRI,SSRI,SNRI and like I said before, I don't react well to SSRI's at all. I don't know if it was because of my extreme reactions I was offered them so early or not.

N

natasha244

When my Citalopram got increased to 30mg I felt so much worse emotionally and was very unsafe and all over the place, I got taken off it almost straight away when they realised how bad I was getting x