• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Citalopram advice

B

blackrainbow

I've just been prescribed 20mg Citalopram and have spent 2 days reading reviews getting myself worked up about not daring to take it. Scared it will make me worse and that I'll have a big panic attack and go to A&E or that there will be side effects even though I'm not in a good way I'm scared of making things worse. If you take it did you have side effects / how long did they last and also am I being stupid and should I just take it? Sorry struggling with what's best to do, thanks

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
Even if you take 1 tablet tonight, it won't mean that tomorrow you are addicted or anything like that.

I have been on antidepressants for 10 years now, and also mood stabilisers. I look exactly the same as i did 10 years ago, but with a few more wrinkles and grey hairs. I sleep well and am not in hospital with depression.

Antidepressants save lives and help people with depression to live better and happier lives.

You can try if for 1 week and then speak to your doctor about how it is going. If you hate it, i am sure it is easy to stop after only 7 days.

B

blackrainbow

Even if you take 1 tablet tonight, it won't mean that tomorrow you are addicted or anything like that.

I have been on antidepressants for 10 years now, and also mood stabilisers. I look exactly the same as i did 10 years ago, but with a few more wrinkles and grey hairs. I sleep well and am not in hospital with depression.

Antidepressants save lives and help people with depression to live better and happier lives.

You can try if for 1 week and then speak to your doctor about how it is going. If you hate it, i am sure it is easy to stop after only 7 days.
ok, thanks for that. Becoming addicted isn't a concern I just know a couple of friends who had bad experience when they started taking it and I can't stand disassociating and don't want a major panic attack (not that any of us do) but when you're this low it's taking all my strength just to carry on and can't face any more issues right now.

Mayflower7

Mayflower7

Hi,
Lots of people take anti-depressants and only get minimal side effects. I do understand your concerns however.
Could you phone your Gp and discuss it some more.
I hope you feel better very soon.
Do keep in touch with us.
Hugs

B

blackrainbow

Hi,
Lots of people take anti-depressants and only get minimal side effects. I do understand your concerns however.
Could you phone your Gp and discuss it some more.
I hope you feel better very soon.
Do keep in touch with us.
Hugs
Thank you for the support and advice. GP is calling Friday and if I haven't dared to take them I think he will be annoyed at me. I think I might ask for Propanolol instead as I don't get bad side effects with that and at least I dare to take it. I know I might not have bad side effects I think it's just the thought of them that's worrying me.

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
I understand it is worrying to start them, but if you start them, you can stop again if you don't like how it feels. I would give it one week.

I don't think your GP will be annoyed and i don't think you should worry about that anyway.

I have never heard anyone speak of the problems you describe as most side effects would be mild and physical like dizziness, urinary, nausea, headache, but all very mild and temporary problems that you might expect.

Citalopram is a very common antidepressant so taken by many many people.

B

blackrainbow

Thanks, I will re-read that page. I have been reading reviews of it obsessively so whilst they might not be that common it's not the common effects that concern me. I'm building up to taking it gradually so might dare to do it soon. Thanks for the help :)

Mayflower7

Mayflower7

Thank you for the support and advice. GP is calling Friday and if I haven't dared to take them I think he will be annoyed at me. I think I might ask for Propanolol instead as I don't get bad side effects with that and at least I dare to take it. I know I might not have bad side effects I think it's just the thought of them that's worrying me.
Your welcome, I don't think your Gp will be annoyed. Does the propanolol help ? That's good for anxiety.
It might be your GP recommends an anti-depressent. Maybe with more reassurance and support you might feel ready to try it or a different one if you'd feel happier with that.
Hugs

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
Thanks, I will re-read that page. I have been reading reviews of it obsessively so whilst they might not be that common it's not the common effects that concern me. I'm building up to taking it gradually so might dare to do it soon. Thanks for the help :)
Try to only read official websites for information. Too much information can also be a bad thing, sometimes we have to go forwards gently, think how we feel, go a little further, just one step at a time. Our bodies all react differently.

GhostOfLenin

GhostOfLenin

I've just been prescribed 20mg Citalopram and have spent 2 days reading reviews getting myself worked up about not daring to take it. Scared it will make me worse and that I'll have a big panic attack and go to A&E or that there will be side effects even though I'm not in a good way I'm scared of making things worse. If you take it did you have side effects / how long did they last and also am I being stupid and should I just take it? Sorry struggling with what's best to do, thanks
Ive been taking citalopram for years and never had any noticable side affects. If i stop taking it i do get weird withdrawal symtoms though but i find it does help.

Blooming

Blooming

I have never heard anyone speak of the problems you describe as most side effects would be mild and physical like dizziness, urinary, nausea, headache, but all very mild and temporary problems that you might expect.

Citalopram is a very common antidepressant so taken by many many people.
I second that, that the sideaffects are only in the beginning and that they are tolerable.
Citalopram has helped me so much that I can thank them for a better life. Of course I have to work on my coping mechanisms in my daily life as well, but Citralopram is the pill that makes the ground steady for me (to have a ground to stand upon when I work with myself).

The more one looks for side effects the worse they will be. The clue is to accept that there may come some small side effects for a short time and stay in that until one becomes better.

My side effects where an enormous tiredness and some problems with my balance (almost as if I was drunk). I am not intrested in if these effects are written down in the manual or not. We are all unique and so will the side- effects be as well. I started to use Citalopram three weeks before Christmans one year. I never spent time upon if I would be OK for Christmas or not. When Christmas came I was still tired, but OK enough to celebrate a wonderful Christmas time. :)

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
I've just had an increase in my antidepressant and mood stabiliser and i feel like my ears are blocked, a slight headache too. These problems go away in days usually. It is worrying starting something new.

Are they scored? A line down the middle of the tablet? If you can break them in half, to begin, that might make you more confident in taking one. It is your choice though, what you take or don't take. Not everyone wants to take them so be confident in your choice, it is your choice.

There is something called therapeutic dose though, which is 20mg for Citalopram i think, but you can start small. Check with your gp though.

Blooming

Blooming

It is your choice though, what you take or don't take. Not everyone wants to take them so be confident in your choice, it is your choice.
Of course it is Blackrainbow's choice to say yes or no to medication.

There are still people around that are afraid of taking antidepressants, some because they think that is to give in and not fight enough; others because they are afraid of the side effects (and don't understand that side effects usually are only for the first weeks). I think we owe them to explain what it is all about.

When I started to use Cipramil, we started at a low dose, and upped to 40 mg. I had contact with my GP as often as I needed it at that time. At 40 mg I had a panic attack. My GP ordered me to go down to 30 mg, which I stayed on for a long time. For now I am on 20 mg and are to stay on that because of the good effect. Many horror stories that we hear about medication may not be about side effects, but about a not often enough contact between doctor and patient.

What I am trying to say is that it was the good contact with my GP that "saved me". If that contact had not been there, I would probably have stopped taking the pill after the anxiety attack and never experienced the good long term effect on a lower dose.

We are all different, so it is not so that medication that fits one person fits all. To say yes to medication is to say yes to a try and trial process.

Blackrainbow was offered Propanolol (a beta blocker sometimes used for anxiety) as well. May be Propanolol is a good start ... ☺ For now she has got information to think about from "insiders" and probably know more than she did when she asked for our help. :hug:

Jam1990

Jam1990

I just started citalopram 2 weeks ago. I’m only on 10 mg but I haven’t had many negative side effects. I felt a little fuzzy for a few days but that’s about it. So far I haven’t noticed a huge change in my anxiety/depression but I’m also starting on a very tiny dose. I suspect that I will be moved up to 20 mg next time I see my doctor. Hope it goes well for you.