Citalopram advice

L

LittleGizmo86

Hi guys,

I am new here and looking for advice regarding Citalopram. I have 2 questions regarding this so will break it down.

First: I was on Citalopram for about 9/10 months after a major depressive episode and found they helped and i really needed them. But eventually they seemed to stop my depression but only because i stopped feeling. Like completely. Not happy, not said, not angry... nothing.. ever. I also sweated A LOT. I thought i started the menopause early it was that bad. My sleep was also a mess. So i decided to stop them. One thing that concerned me was i didnt have much of an appetite... but wanted to drink alcohol. Like everyday. Like to the point i felt like i was developing an issue. Despite eating less food i put quite a bit of weight on which im guessing is the alcohol? I am 5 days without the meds after coming off slowly. I already have noticed an increase in appetite and don't really want alcohol. Has anybody else had these issues while on them? Especially the alcohol?

The second question is: i am currently having the withdrawal issues.. it is only day 4. I have started with vertigo whenever i move my head, as well as chills and sweats at the same time (like with the flu) and insomnia. If anyone has had these issues what did you find helped if anything? I know it will get easier as the days pass but just wondering if there is anything i can try to make it easier? I have so far found eating pasta makes me feel better which is weird.

Thank you :)

K

Kelly B

Citalopram is a medication where you must titrate down. Otherwise, withdrawal symptoms. It took me three weeks to come off of citalopram. I don’t know if you stopped cold turkey, but if you did it would probably explain your symptoms. Best wishes...hope you feel better soon.

L

LittleGizmo86

Citalopram is a medication where you must titrate down. Otherwise, withdrawal symptoms. It took me three weeks to come off of citalopram. I don’t know if you stopped cold turkey, but if you did it would probably explain your symptoms. Best wishes...hope you feel better soon.
Hiya thanks for the reply. I titrated over about 6 weeks so didn't expect to feel this rubbish. With hindsight if i would have known i would feel this bad anyway i would have just gone cold turkey 6 weeks ago instead... would have been ok by now lol

K

Kelly B

The alcohol will definitely pack on the pounds. I used to drink ALOT and although I wasn’t necessarily overweight I was close. (Except for the year I took olanzapine and gained 50lbs...definitely overweight). Anyway, I quit drinking a year and a half ago and light as a feather now. Physically, mentally, and emotionally I’m better off without the alcohol. This might sound like a stupid question, but are you sure you actually don’t have the early stages of menopause?

K

Kelly B

The alcohol will definitely pack on the pounds. I used to drink ALOT and although I wasn’t necessarily overweight I was close. (Except for the year I took olanzapine and gained 50lbs...definitely overweight). Anyway, I quit drinking a year and a half ago and light as a feather now. Physically, mentally, and emotionally I’m better off without the alcohol. This might sound like a stupid question, but are you sure you actually don’t have the early stages of menopause?
Some of the symptoms you listed sounds familiar. As for the sweating , what I did was put in a ceiling fan. 😋

L

LittleGizmo86

I had the blood test and apparently not. I am not convinced tbh but who am i to argue with a blood test lol.

L

LittleGizmo86

Some of the symptoms you listed sounds familiar. As for the sweating , what I did was put in a ceiling fan. 😋
OMG i would love a ceiling fan... but i live in a house share and not sure my house mates would approve ahaha 😂