• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Citalopram 20mg

M

MYTIMEHASCOME

I know ssri have side effects and ive felt tired / lethargic / headache and my legs been pulsating ( in rhythm with my heart) an burning skin / tingling / numbness but the two side effects which are really bothering me is unable to get erection / aroused and blood when going to the toilet (no pain though) ive only been taking them a week! Also i dont get the physical triggers of being anxious (fight or flight feeling) but im still anxious - i dunno what im looking for but im due a catch up with gp tommorow and im seriouy contemplating coming off. Which reminds me who wud i go to if i wanna check downstairs my gps female i like her but uhmmm yeah cud be akward or is there someone else (bar me who does it) x

H

Helena1

Staff Member on Leave
i would defiantly tell her about the side effects, especially the blood one but i would try staying on them a bit longer as the side effects may go away in a few days or maybe go to 10mg i donno if you can get that but you are getting a lot of side effects so maybe you are extra sensitive to them.

M

MYTIMEHASCOME

i would defiantly tell her about the side effects, especially the blood one but i would try staying on them a bit longer as the side effects may go away in a few days or maybe go to 10mg i donno if you can get that but you are getting a lot of side effects so maybe you are extra sensitive to them.
Hmmm ill ask - the one that annoys me is the downstairs one :/ im really shy i know theyve heard it all before its still embarrasing though! I went to the toilet earlier and no blood so maybe just a one off lol

U know If u find a lump 'downstairs' who do u make an apptment with that for? If its a gp ill just leave it and hope for the best!!! Thanks for response helena1 - who knows
Maybe this citalopram
Will stop u having to do so much moderation of my suicide filled posts :rofl2: :hug:

H

Helena1

Staff Member on Leave
i dont think hoping for the best is the greatest idea, i would get an appt with a nurse and see what they say and hopefully they can sort it or say it is fine for you. :)

if it happens again with the blood you should defo tell the doc as it could be serious, i never heard of that happening before due to meds.

M

MYTIMEHASCOME

i dont think hoping for the best is the greatest idea, i would get an appt with a nurse and see what they say and hopefully they can sort it or say it is fine for you. :)

if it happens again with the blood you should defo tell the doc as it could be serious, i never heard of that happening before due to meds.
I know but somethinf as small as going to work makes me anxious let alone having some random woman examining my balls!! I mean dreaming about its one think but having it happen would be scary :rofl2: ive had it for like 4 months already anyway im sure if it was a bad lump id have been in pain or felt something - yeah will do - is it true that ssri are really bad for weight gain - i dont mind if its spread out i just dont want to be skinny with a kangaroo pouch :) x :hug:

bluemoon2

bluemoon2

I used to take citalopram at its highest dose 40mg. I was on it for three and a half years and it did me wonders for my anxiety but not for the depression side. I got a 'high' off them the first few weeks I was ever on them but those side effects sound a lot like the same ones I got on mirtizapine(?) I took them for one week after coming off the citalopram every night before bed and I could not even walk the next mornng and I was getting snappy with everyone.

I'm now on 25mg quieiapine which is pretty bad for weight gain the first few months but it works wonders for my anxiety but again not the low mood side so I'm looking at maybe combining it with a low dose of citalopram again - quite personally I've found antipsychotics to be better for anxiety because of their sedative effects whereas antidepressants can sometimes worsen it - but thats just from my experience.

Sparklypurplepaws

Sparklypurplepaws

I was on citaloprAm for a couple of years with no side effects.
I think you need to discuss all of your side effects and your lump with your gp. If you can't discuss it, why not write it down and hand it over?

H

Helena1

Staff Member on Leave
i think the only ad that is bad weight gain is the one that is called something like marizipan. i donno if that is an ssri or another type. i think the other ones are okay for weight gain.

you could ask and see if they have a male nurse if you cant write it down and give it to your gp.

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

ACCOUNT CLOSED
mirtazipine it helps me sleep. You still get anxious and horny too tho. Should say it did help, not anymore.

ScaredCat

ScaredCat

Citalopram can increase anxiety at first but then hopefully it will settle down. You can get it in 10mg cos i was started at that dose because i am very sensitive . Dont think will cause weight gain. Dont think you can make a judgement after a week of whether it will work or not. If you are still getting blood definitely tell your gp

M

MYTIMEHASCOME

i think the only ad that is bad weight gain is the one that is called something like marizipan. i donno if that is an ssri or another type. i think the other ones are okay for weight gain.

you could ask and see if they have a male nurse if you cant write it down and give it to your gp.
Marzipan isn't that what goes in cakes mmmmmmmm cake :)

Uhmmm i definetly dont want a guy cupping my wee willy winky lol :hug:

M

MYTIMEHASCOME

mirtazipine it helps me sleep. You still get anxious and horny too tho. Should say it did help, not anymore.
I dont want to be horny i just want to be able to get a boner and not feel like a cat whos had the snip lol x :hug:

M

MYTIMEHASCOME

I just got given another months worth of citalopram - how come I have to go for such regular reviews?

also I had the bravery to tell her I found a lump downstairs but wouldn't let her check she said I could go to a male doctor if i wanted and I said it's not who does it - it's just doing it full stop.

i wonder if taking two 20mg tablets a day rather than one would make me feel even more relaxed :)))))))))))))))))) and maybe next week i could take like 4 and go see her... thennnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn i'd have no problem with her doing the test.......... i shud imagine hmm X

H

Helena1

Staff Member on Leave
i think they like to see you a lot at the start of starting any meds, but then after you are on the right dose for bit it is like a lot longer inbetween seeing them.

don't increase your dose unless your gp tells you. you have only been on it a week and it needs like at least 4 weeks to see if it works for you and you dont want to increase the dose than fast as you body isn't used to it and you will likely get worsening of side effects.

am glad you told her about the lump.

C

cally75

Passing blood is maybe nothing serious pal. My pal had that & it was just internal he a haemarroids. As for the citadel ram, they did make me feel spaced out but it passed after a few weeks. That's normal apparently just try to bear with it. As for ur lump, get it checked out ASAP, as embarrassing as it is but best being on safe side bud