• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

citalopram 10mg-any good?

S

sunny71

hi there
Doc said i have moderate dpression & social anxiety.She started me on 10mg citalopram,iv been on cipralex before so wondering if this drug is any good?
thanks
sunny71:)

S

sunny71

hi there
Doc said i have moderate dpression & social anxiety.She started me on 10mg citalopram,iv been on cipralex before so wondering if this drug is any good?
thanks
sunny71:)
iv been taking it for 5 days, only side effects so far is my muscles ache and they get jittery in bed.I feel calmer but not noticed much else-probably early days yet.

intelgal

intelgal

Founding Member
I swear by it.. side effect do lessen

S

sad_stuart

I have been on 20 mg for 5 years now.
It works most of the time, i am having a bad time on it at the moment.
1 piece of advice i have learned, is make sure you take it at almost the exact time of the every, and use it exactly as your doc has told ya. DO NOT mess about with it, it is a great drug if used properly.
Withdraws are bad when you try to come off it, i tried once, but couldnt cope off it

L

littlemiss436

I was on citalopram (20-30mg) for 14 months and didn't really have problems with it.
I was a bit insomniac to start off with but that passed fairly quickly.
I had few other side effects, none major.

When I came off it, I tapered very very slowly and had no problems at all this way.

Good luck :)

trombone_babe

trombone_babe

Yep I liked this one, been on anything between 20 and 60. It takes a good couple of weeks to kick in tho so hang in there. :) I only changed from this one cos the doc thinks I became resistant to it after quite a few years on it.

A

Anastassia Florine

That stuff is AMAZING for social anxiety! I was prescribed 20 mg, to go up to from 10 within 4 or 5 days of starting it. Within a half hour after I took that half tablet... my social anxiety was gone. This is 10 mg, given to a person who thought she was going to get shot in the street because she looked mentally handicapped and people would see that and decide to eliminate her for the betterment of society. It also made me GIDDY!!! And I had not only been prescribed this stuff for anxiety but also for a "very severe depression with features that were psychotic". So if this is your first time taking this shit, it WORKS. I went from Post Humiliation Stress Disorder from incidents in first and second grade and other embarrassing moments, to socializing with everyone.

However, the second, third and fourth times I took it I felt nothing, so see that you don't go off it if you think you'll need it again.

tH@l35

[email protected]

Does this medicine work for everybody? I mean has anybody experienced any negative influences from taking this? I dont mean side effects like nausea or dizziness, I'm talking about mania, severe depression, self harm?

Prince Buster

Prince Buster

I suffer from depression and anxiety also. 10mg up to 20mg after a few days. Have to agree with the above posters - it seems to be doing the trick after a couple of months.

It definitely helps you sleep. Don't drink alcohol though.

S

SmileyGirl

Has anyone been on 60mgs or higher? I'm currently on 60 and am wondering if the lack of 'talking therapies' where i live are making professionals give out higher doses. Something else to talk to the psychiatrist about next week!

Prince Buster

Prince Buster

My aunt was on 40 for depression. She was boozing with it too. Not a good idea I think. In my experience the two did not mix. Lecture over. ;)

S

SmileyGirl

Thanks PB, understood. And lecture taken on the chin.

Another night on the redbush then :tea:

Prince Buster

Prince Buster

ha! I am in the other place now.

M

mizunderstood

I was on 10mg cipralex for anxiety but when I came off Olanzapine this was swapped to 20mg cipramil as I was feeling depressed and anxious. My GP said the difference was neglegable. I think the citalopram are cheaper than the escitalopram and thats why she swapped it. I had no improvment and after a week or so I went back to the docs and he icreased it to 40mg. Ten days later I felt extremely suicidal and I was a emotional wreck. I will admit I was also drinking at this stage though. I went back on Olanzapine and continued with the citalopram and after a few days my depression lifted and I noticed I felt hyper. Im ok on it now though. I personally think cipralex are better than cipramil for anxiety states. Also If I miss a day by mistake, I feel really light headed/dizzy.