Cigarettes

Lunus

Lunus

Guys - well done! :hug: I'll be joining you shortly.

I'm weaning myself off cigarettes too but working towards July 8th as my quit date.

I'm keeping my cigarettes in a tin in the kitchen cupboard. Much of my smoking is almost unconscious because the packet and lighter are to hand. Having to walk out to the kitchen, retrieve the tin and replace it has made me far more aware of if I need a cigarette and it's reducing the amount I smoke.

I find it incredibly hard to stop and STAY a non-smoker. In the past, I've always tripped myself up a few months along the journey by persuading myself that I can just smoke ONE without rekindling the habit. Trouble is, to obtain that ONE cigarette, you have to buy a full pack...then my mental negotiations become "I'll just smoke this packet and no more."

I am a nicotine addict - smoking 'socially' or 'occasionally' is never going to be possible. The best I will ever be is a permanently abstaining smoker because I fall back into the habit so quickly.

Everybody is different, but for me, the mental preparation leading up to quitting is the most important aspect of stopping. I have to change so many behaviours associated with smoking to increase my chances of success. I've been in a committed, long term relationship with cigarettes for all of my adult life....and break ups are hard. :sorry:

I think this thread is great to support each other - particularly on tough days when a bit of encouragement here might stop you running to the newsagents to buy a packet!

This time, I'll be keeping a few loose cigarettes hidden around the house - if I AM going to have a wobble and relapse - there's no reason to buy a whole packet. I can retrieve a lone cigarette from its hiding place without falling back into patterns.

Honestly? I think its the fear of failure and disappointment when I screw up that keeps me smoking. This time, I'll accommodate my own nature and build-in a safety net.

Big hugs for you all :hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug:
Thank you for that it is really helpful. I think you’re spot on with the fear of failure. I smoked yesterday and I beat myself up today with frustration and anger. We’ll get there eventually.

Lunus

Lunus

Thank you for that it is really helpful. I think you’re spot on with the fear of failure. I smoked yesterday and I beat myself up today with frustration and anger. We’ll get there eventually.
I smoked another 5 cigarettes today. For once I’m not going to beat myself up because I’ve realised the reason. I have to do a Timeline for my Psychologist and I realise I’ve been ruminating over it so feel highly stressed. I’m going to get the f*cking thing done tomorrow and once complete I’m going to give it a real go to stop

Parayana

Parayana

Part of the problem with SZ is that smoking boosts some of the neurotransmitters supressed by anti-psychotics so the brains natural tendency towards homeostasis makes it smoke like a chimney. The old smoke rooms on wards were always full of people chuffing away,

Lunus

Lunus

Smoked my last six cigarettes. I feel like I’m now ready to stop smoking completely. Time will tell.

L

Lunar Lady

Smoked my last six cigarettes. I feel like I’m now ready to stop smoking completely. Time will tell.
You're doing a great deal of emotional work right now, Lunus. There are going to be more exercises like the timeline that will send you back to dark places. Rather than feel you are 'failing' if you crave the support of a cigarette - perhaps give yourself permission beforehand to smoke a limited amount. You can move forward with your no smoking resolution with the caveat that you will permit yourself no more than 5 in an emotional emergency.

I'm not trying to discourage you - I just think that there will be some demanding and turbulent times ahead with therapy and your self-esteem doesn't need to be eroded by feeling you have 'failed' if you need a cigarette. If you plan ahead and permit yourself an emergency quota, you will be meeting your own, kinder expectations.

If you can picture a line graph (or even draw one) of your smoking - all you should worry about is that the line is moving on an overall decline. I think in terms of weeks rather than days. If you habitually smoke 20 a day, then any week when you have smoked less than 140 cigarettes is a WIN and an improvement. If you beat yourself up for a relapse and smoking eight cigarettes on one particularly bad day - you are robbing yourself of the achievement of not smoking the usual 132....sometimes, all or nothing thinking just inhibits our progress.

Wishing you luck and sending lots of love your way xxxx

Lunus

Lunus

You're doing a great deal of emotional work right now, Lunus. There are going to be more exercises like the timeline that will send you back to dark places. Rather than feel you are 'failing' if you crave the support of a cigarette - perhaps give yourself permission beforehand to smoke a limited amount. You can move forward with your no smoking resolution with the caveat that you will permit yourself no more than 5 in an emotional emergency.

I'm not trying to discourage you - I just think that there will be some demanding and turbulent times ahead with therapy and your self-esteem doesn't need to be eroded by feeling you have 'failed' if you need a cigarette. If you plan ahead and permit yourself an emergency quota, you will be meeting your own, kinder expectations.

If you can picture a line graph (or even draw one) of your smoking - all you should worry about is that the line is moving on an overall decline. I think in terms of weeks rather than days. If you habitually smoke 20 a day, then any week when you have smoked less than 140 cigarettes is a WIN and an improvement. If you beat yourself up for a relapse and smoking eight cigarettes on one particularly bad day - you are robbing yourself of the achievement of not smoking the usual 132....sometimes, all or nothing thinking just inhibits our progress.

Wishing you luck and sending lots of love your way xxxx
Thank you so much. I will and have taken your advice. I gave myself permission to smoke yesterday and today whilst doing my timeline and should the need arise will do so again. You are so helpful to me and I really appreciate your kindness and advice. 😘

Mayfair

Mayfair

Admin
Thank you so much. I will and have taken your advice. I gave myself permission to smoke yesterday and today whilst doing my timeline and should the need arise will do so again. You are so helpful to me and I really appreciate your kindness and advice. 😘
I once had a long spell (a few months) where I easily just refrained from smoking all day, but had 1 last thing in the evening. (used to get a huge head rush!) this way, I got through the pangs because I wasn't thinking 'I can never smoke again in my life' which always prior to that would make me give in.

Lunus

Lunus

I once had a long spell (a few months) where I easily just refrained from smoking all day, but had 1 last thing in the evening. (used to get a huge head rush!) this way, I got through the pangs because I wasn't thinking 'I can never smoke again in my life' which always prior to that would make me give in.
Thank you for your advice.

W

white-witch

I forgot I had started this thread 10 years ago? I have since moved to a lovely little seaside town and love my little bungalow and so things are good. Still on the Lithium and will never let go of that. I have tried to stop a few times now and got off to a bad start when I consulted one of the local health trainers(NHS) to stop smoking and he said I had to 'stop within 24 hours' - no way could I do that. I have cut down considerably though and I have a few vape pens and tanks, although I have been warned of 'popcorn lung'. So do use them but alongside the cigs. I have heard that it is easier to come off heroin than to stop smoking, I do not know how true that is. I am no longer on 2 packs a day and to me that is progress. I now have a heart condition and I asked the consultant if it was caused by smoking and he said 'Not at all it is nothing to with smoking' I guess I was hoping he would say it was and I would need to give up. My son stopped smoking though when he saw me in the coronary unit, so I was please about that. I have been feeling my breathing is becoming compromised and I do not like that, however I am on tramadol for severe pain and one of the side-effects is around breathing. I still want to stop but I am so into smoking, I enjoy it, that I am torn. I once stopped for a year, long ago and I felt so well and far less anxious. Now with osteoarthritis in every joint and needing TKR and not going out much, due to the pain of walking. I spend time on my own with my two little dogs. I read on my laptop or go on FB and I hold a cig often and I never have fully inhaled but I have cigs burning down because it is just the 'ritual' I am so use to. The NHS trust expect you to stop smoking before an operation and I need 5 ops and I am going to say I have stopped. If they (the consultants) had sorted some of the issues out several years ago I would not be in such extreme pain and being trapped at home. I am going to try and stop but need to think of the way that will give me the best chance of success. x

Lunus

Lunus

I forgot I had started this thread 10 years ago? I have since moved to a lovely little seaside town and love my little bungalow and so things are good. Still on the Lithium and will never let go of that. I have tried to stop a few times now and got off to a bad start when I consulted one of the local health trainers(NHS) to stop smoking and he said I had to 'stop within 24 hours' - no way could I do that. I have cut down considerably though and I have a few vape pens and tanks, although I have been warned of 'popcorn lung'. So do use them but alongside the cigs. I have heard that it is easier to come off heroin than to stop smoking, I do not know how true that is. I am no longer on 2 packs a day and to me that is progress. I now have a heart condition and I asked the consultant if it was caused by smoking and he said 'Not at all it is nothing to with smoking' I guess I was hoping he would say it was and I would need to give up. My son stopped smoking though when he saw me in the coronary unit, so I was please about that. I have been feeling my breathing is becoming compromised and I do not like that, however I am on tramadol for severe pain and one of the side-effects is around breathing. I still want to stop but I am so into smoking, I enjoy it, that I am torn. I once stopped for a year, long ago and I felt so well and far less anxious. Now with osteoarthritis in every joint and needing TKR and not going out much, due to the pain of walking. I spend time on my own with my two little dogs. I read on my laptop or go on FB and I hold a cig often and I never have fully inhaled but I have cigs burning down because it is just the 'ritual' I am so use to. The NHS trust expect you to stop smoking before an operation and I need 5 ops and I am going to say I have stopped. If they (the consultants) had sorted some of the issues out several years ago I would not be in such extreme pain and being trapped at home. I am going to try and stop but need to think of the way that will give me the best chance of success. x
Once you have adopted smoking as a coping mechanism to temporary relief your emotional pain, even when you have accepted that pain the habit is tremendously difficult to stop, especially if you’re driven by urges. My therapist has recommended that when I have an urge to smoke, just focus on a single object for 5 minutes. If you still have the urge, try another 5 minutes in which the urge may have passed. If you continue to have the urge, then smoke. Be kind to yourself and be happy you’ve reduced from how many you used to smoke.

W

white-witch

Thanks Lunus. You are right I do sometime have an urge to smoke, most times the pack and lighter are by my side and I know I do, at times, just automatically get a cig and light it. I am glad I am down from the very many that I use to smoke. When I stopped for the year in 1992 I was in demanding career and studying at uni also and I decided I wanted to stop and bought a book and read that. It suggested the mantra 'I have the right to smoke but I choose not to' and that made sense back then. I also bought some nicotine patches and you signed up by post and every month I would receive a letter, giving tips if struggling and also a sticker to put in the book the had sent. It worked and I loved not smoking, not having to find my cigs and lighter when going out the house and not having the panic feeling of 'Have I get enough cigs' and needed to go buy some, It was freedom. I have patches here from my GP and I keep looking at them and wondering why can I not do it now? So many excuses are in my head. I am in extreme physical pain, I have put 5 stone on since 1992, due to meds and not being so mobile. I have joined a water resistance class to build up my muscles for the ops I need and the trainer said she is happy to work with me on stopping smoking. I just keep wondering (excuse!) if I wait for my knee replacements to be done, I may get out walking more and shift some weight, because if I stop now and put weight on, they will not do the operation even. I have 101 excuses to keep smoking and I had one, my compromised breathing to stop but now find out that could well be the meds for pain that I take. Mentally I am stable on Lithium. Physically, I am not good and in severe pain and excruciating pain when I walk more that 5 minutes. I am suppose to be a certain BMI for my knee replacements and I am just within that, they would not do them when I was in that range before because they said I was 'too young' I am not nearly 63 and so do not think I am 'too young' and I want no more ops to remove pieces of bone from my knees. I am hoping to get on to the CBD, which my GP knows zero about and yet our governemnt passed it for use for severe pain recently, but he left it to my to ring the CCG about prescribing - typical. It is his job to do that but now it is mine. I have had some good GP's and a few who have nearly killed me, so trust few. I am blabbing on here and so I will keep popping on to the thread for ideas and tips and I will try to not feel the 'Whats the point I have no life', but that is not true. I have my son and his family and I have my 2 little dogs who love and need me and when I get my bionic knees I may be able to take them for walks myself, once again and down to the beach. I need to focus on the positives or I will be like my granddad was still smoking at 89. The cost also at £8.65 for the cheapest and what I could do with that money. x

Lunus

Lunus

Thanks Lunus. You are right I do sometime have an urge to smoke, most times the pack and lighter are by my side and I know I do, at times, just automatically get a cig and light it. I am glad I am down from the very many that I use to smoke. When I stopped for the year in 1992 I was in demanding career and studying at uni also and I decided I wanted to stop and bought a book and read that. It suggested the mantra 'I have the right to smoke but I choose not to' and that made sense back then. I also bought some nicotine patches and you signed up by post and every month I would receive a letter, giving tips if struggling and also a sticker to put in the book the had sent. It worked and I loved not smoking, not having to find my cigs and lighter when going out the house and not having the panic feeling of 'Have I get enough cigs' and needed to go buy some, It was freedom. I have patches here from my GP and I keep looking at them and wondering why can I not do it now? So many excuses are in my head. I am in extreme physical pain, I have put 5 stone on since 1992, due to meds and not being so mobile. I have joined a water resistance class to build up my muscles for the ops I need and the trainer said she is happy to work with me on stopping smoking. I just keep wondering (excuse!) if I wait for my knee replacements to be done, I may get out walking more and shift some weight, because if I stop now and put weight on, they will not do the operation even. I have 101 excuses to keep smoking and I had one, my compromised breathing to stop but now find out that could well be the meds for pain that I take. Mentally I am stable on Lithium. Physically, I am not good and in severe pain and excruciating pain when I walk more that 5 minutes. I am suppose to be a certain BMI for my knee replacements and I am just within that, they would not do them when I was in that range before because they said I was 'too young' I am not nearly 63 and so do not think I am 'too young' and I want no more ops to remove pieces of bone from my knees. I am hoping to get on to the CBD, which my GP knows zero about and yet our governemnt passed it for use for severe pain recently, but he left it to my to ring the CCG about prescribing - typical. It is his job to do that but now it is mine. I have had some good GP's and a few who have nearly killed me, so trust few. I am blabbing on here and so I will keep popping on to the thread for ideas and tips and I will try to not feel the 'Whats the point I have no life', but that is not true. I have my son and his family and I have my 2 little dogs who love and need me and when I get my bionic knees I may be able to take them for walks myself, once again and down to the beach. I need to focus on the positives or I will be like my granddad was still smoking at 89. The cost also at £8.65 for the cheapest and what I could do with that money. x
Stay strong my friend, we can only do our best. One day soon perhaps the urge for you and I to smoke will dissipate and we’ll become healthier. There are a lot of positives in your life, you’ll do it when you’re ready. 🤗

L

Lunar Lady

Been up since 5 am....now nearly 2 pm and considering my second cigarette :innocent:

sadpunchingbag

sadpunchingbag

good shit dude its good hearing about someone facing there demons on this forum not just complaining :hug:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Lunus Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 33