Cigarettes

Lunus

Lunus

Well the gum has not been working for me as I have been using copious amounts of the gum - and not gradually coming off it. I also have been chewing all the time, like non stop. I never do not have a piece in my mouth. On the packets it says you can use it at the same time as smoking, to help you reduce how much you smoke. So that's often what I've been doing, justifying I can still smoke and chew at the same time, so long as I'm smoking less it's fine.
But now I'm pretty much decided this can't go on much longer.
It's now been maybe been 16 hours since I've had any nicotine in my body and I have got a huge BUZZZZZ in my brain.
How typical is this for a BPD sufferer. I’ve tried giving up and chewing the gum but like you I did it non stop lol. All I got was a sore jaw and I lost two teeth 🙈

Mayfair

Mayfair

Admin
I'm not in with these gums and patches stuff.

To get rid of the addiction you have to cut it out. Stopping nicotine isn't harmful at all (like alcohol can be).

It's not pleasant few days. I always found first week really tough, but then it gets to point after a couple of weeks and you'll be completely clear of it and not crave.

The next bit is the most important part. You have to abstain completely forever. Not one ever again. Easy part done - that's the point I've been so often.

The reason I smoke, even after completely ridding myself years ago... I stupidly had one, and slowly back on it again. Nicotine is one of the most addictive drugs known to us. Having other nicotine products just means it goes on for ever. (however, saying that, nicotine isn't harmful so anything that doesn't involve smoking it with cigs is better than nowt)

I agree with early poster, that if struggling and doing a lot of things at once, this won't be easy at all. Watch any heroin addict programme on tv, and all the ex's still smoke. That tells you something!

G

Girl interupted

Thank you for your advice. You are so sweet. You know me so well lol. I did indeed hit the said ‘bump’ after embarking on Radical Acceptance too early and indeed turned to my two remaining self destructive coping mechanisms..big time! The two I have left are cigarettes and cannabis. Here’s the thing, whilst cannabis leaves me with this risk of paranoia and smoking is on the face of it quite passive, it’s slightly different for me. That’s because my life of abusing my body is coming back to haunt me and I have been diagnosed with lung disease. It’s not progressive thank f*ck but it will be if I continue. So I’ve been stuck between a rock and a hard place, having smoking as a coping mechanism that I couldn’t stop whilst knowing it will eventually kill me if I continue, therefore increasing my suffering.
My creative solution, cook all my cannabis so I can’t smoke joints and making into fudge. (eating was another comfort) so I actually have two coping mechanisms rolled into one lol.
I am going to slow down on the recovery though..I’m totally exhausted. Thank you so much for your concern. 😘
First, big hug.

Second, have you looked into vaping?

Third, be kind to yourself. You should be proud of the progress you’ve made. It’s remarkable and inspiring. But don’t beat yourself up if you stumble back a few. That’s perfectly normal.

Slow and steady wins the race. You have a lifetime of heartache you need to process. Take it in bite sized pieces.

G

Girl interupted

If food gives you comfort, that’s ok too. You can always lose the weight when you feel more secure.

D

dewey

How typical is this for a BPD sufferer. I’ve tried giving up and chewing the gum but like you I did it non stop lol. All I got was a sore jaw and I lost two teeth 🙈
Yeah the gums are ridiculous :/
Sorry you lost 2 teeth :(

D

dewey

I'm not in with these gums and patches stuff.

To get rid of the addiction you have to cut it out. Stopping nicotine isn't harmful at all (like alcohol can be).

It's not pleasant few days. I always found first week really tough, but then it gets to point after a couple of weeks and you'll be completely clear of it and not crave.

The next bit is the most important part. You have to abstain completely forever. Not one ever again. Easy part done - that's the point I've been so often.

The reason I smoke, even after completely ridding myself years ago... I stupidly had one, and slowly back on it again. Nicotine is one of the most addictive drugs known to us. Having other nicotine products just means it goes on for ever. (however, saying that, nicotine isn't harmful so anything that doesn't involve smoking it with cigs is better than nowt)

I agree with early poster, that if struggling and doing a lot of things at once, this won't be easy at all. Watch any heroin addict programme on tv, and all the ex's still smoke. That tells you something!
Really into this completely cutting it out thing.

So you're saying cravings pretty much disappear after a couple weeks?

The main problem with cravings is lack of concentration, cravings interfering with the ability to 'do tasks'. That's the bit which sucks.

If i can get over this in a couple of weeks, I will ride it out

Screechout

Screechout

Good luck and well done for all the progress you've made already, should be so proud of yourself!!

Mayfair

Mayfair

Admin
Really into this completely cutting it out thing.

So you're saying cravings pretty much disappear after a couple weeks?

The main problem with cravings is lack of concentration, cravings interfering with the ability to 'do tasks'. That's the bit which sucks.

If i can get over this in a couple of weeks, I will ride it out
bold: ok, that's positive, I'll add a bit more

I'm telling it as it is @dewey - though importantly - it's MY experience, and not one fits all. (heavy smoker for 30 years) - a few quits, but last one, I absolutely nailed it. In 2 weeks I'd actually thrown out lighters / ashtrays etc, secret stashes in case run out etc. and if I smelt smokers, it make me sick :LOL:

My advice is avoid most advice. It's shit.

'don't go to places where you normally smoke like pubs / clubs type thing' - forget this crap. Once about 3 days in, go to pubs clubs / or places where you smoke

In reality. The first day, I didn't find difficult at all. Second day, you certainly notice it, and think about it a lot. This type of thing you need to do, the things you normally do, but have something to distract you.

1st distraction is this for me. You DON'T need to smoke. There is no benfit at all, and I lasted my first 15 years without it, or ever feeling the need to do it. So this is where you need to get to.

Let's not beat around the bush, this isn't easy. I think you have to commit to about 3 days - 1 week to rid the cravings out. Nicotine doesn't sit in system for long, so addictive as it is, it's also just a few days needed.

You have to get to grips with the fact that you are addicted to a drug far more addictive than something like heroin, so you can't get cocky.

Heroin addicts who get a few months prison, and no choice but to abstain, and come out and first thing they look for.

-

bit of a waffle I'm afraid as in a rush,

I'm telling you, if you go through the few days, it's gonna be rough, and if other problems at moment, I don't think you'll succeed unless absolutely sorted that you want this shit out of your body.

2 weeks of abstinence for me, and it's gone. However, you have to continue abstaining even if tempted. It's always going to be there because you've probably done it for a long time. Most have,

I wasn't bothered at all by my abstain. I liked it. I felt a lot better.

I started again, partly by the fact that I couldn't find 1, so bought a pack (more SH than temptation tbh). 1st one made me sick. but soon back on again.

eugh, so stupid. wish I could replay that night again.

Parayana

Parayana

I smoke loads, I sit in front of the screen chuffing fags and drinking coffee. I smoke less when I am at my GFs as I have to go outside there.

Lunus

Lunus

I smoke loads, I sit in front of the screen chuffing fags and drinking coffee. I smoke less when I am at my GFs as I have to go outside there.
I had to cut out the coffee as it stimulated the brain too much and made me hyper. Best not to have caffeine after 15.00, so I’m told.

Parayana

Parayana

Ah Lunus, I'm totally addicted to both, I'm so sedated off meds I need caffeine to function, makes my sleep patterns erratic though - I'm often up until the early hours ganking Americans and other exotic creatures on Xbox live.

D

dewey

bold: ok, that's positive, I'll add a bit more

I'm telling it as it is @dewey - though importantly - it's MY experience, and not one fits all. (heavy smoker for 30 years) - a few quits, but last one, I absolutely nailed it. In 2 weeks I'd actually thrown out lighters / ashtrays etc, secret stashes in case run out etc. and if I smelt smokers, it make me sick :LOL:

My advice is avoid most advice. It's shit.

'don't go to places where you normally smoke like pubs / clubs type thing' - forget this crap. Once about 3 days in, go to pubs clubs / or places where you smoke

In reality. The first day, I didn't find difficult at all. Second day, you certainly notice it, and think about it a lot. This type of thing you need to do, the things you normally do, but have something to distract you.

1st distraction is this for me. You DON'T need to smoke. There is no benfit at all, and I lasted my first 15 years without it, or ever feeling the need to do it. So this is where you need to get to.

Let's not beat around the bush, this isn't easy. I think you have to commit to about 3 days - 1 week to rid the cravings out. Nicotine doesn't sit in system for long, so addictive as it is, it's also just a few days needed.

You have to get to grips with the fact that you are addicted to a drug far more addictive than something like heroin, so you can't get cocky.

Heroin addicts who get a few months prison, and no choice but to abstain, and come out and first thing they look for.

-

bit of a waffle I'm afraid as in a rush,

I'm telling you, if you go through the few days, it's gonna be rough, and if other problems at moment, I don't think you'll succeed unless absolutely sorted that you want this shit out of your body.

2 weeks of abstinence for me, and it's gone. However, you have to continue abstaining even if tempted. It's always going to be there because you've probably done it for a long time. Most have,

I wasn't bothered at all by my abstain. I liked it. I felt a lot better.

I started again, partly by the fact that I couldn't find 1, so bought a pack (more SH than temptation tbh). 1st one made me sick. but soon back on again.

eugh, so stupid. wish I could replay that night again.
Thank you for this

Lunus

Lunus

Ah Lunus, I'm totally addicted to both, I'm so sedated off meds I need caffeine to function, makes my sleep patterns erratic though - I'm often up until the early hours ganking Americans and other exotic creatures on Xbox live.
I completely understand. I went all day without having a cigarette and at midnight decided to smoke four. Better then over thirty I was smoking, better than the seven I’d already cut down to but in my black and white view an abject failure.
I’ll try again today. :low:

Parayana

Parayana

I smoke about thirty a day, noe I'm not claiming PIP I will have to cut down.

Parayana

Parayana

I've met people who could give up heroin but couldn't give up smoking so don't beat yourself up about it Lunus.

Parayana

Parayana

I've just gone an hour between smokes which is the best I've done in a while so that's something positive.

L

Lunar Lady

Guys - well done! :hug: I'll be joining you shortly.

I'm weaning myself off cigarettes too but working towards July 8th as my quit date.

I'm keeping my cigarettes in a tin in the kitchen cupboard. Much of my smoking is almost unconscious because the packet and lighter are to hand. Having to walk out to the kitchen, retrieve the tin and replace it has made me far more aware of if I need a cigarette and it's reducing the amount I smoke.

I find it incredibly hard to stop and STAY a non-smoker. In the past, I've always tripped myself up a few months along the journey by persuading myself that I can just smoke ONE without rekindling the habit. Trouble is, to obtain that ONE cigarette, you have to buy a full pack...then my mental negotiations become "I'll just smoke this packet and no more."

I am a nicotine addict - smoking 'socially' or 'occasionally' is never going to be possible. The best I will ever be is a permanently abstaining smoker because I fall back into the habit so quickly.

Everybody is different, but for me, the mental preparation leading up to quitting is the most important aspect of stopping. I have to change so many behaviours associated with smoking to increase my chances of success. I've been in a committed, long term relationship with cigarettes for all of my adult life....and break ups are hard. :sorry:

I think this thread is great to support each other - particularly on tough days when a bit of encouragement here might stop you running to the newsagents to buy a packet!

This time, I'll be keeping a few loose cigarettes hidden around the house - if I AM going to have a wobble and relapse - there's no reason to buy a whole packet. I can retrieve a lone cigarette from its hiding place without falling back into patterns.

Honestly? I think its the fear of failure and disappointment when I screw up that keeps me smoking. This time, I'll accommodate my own nature and build-in a safety net.

Big hugs for you all :hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Lunus Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 33