• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Chronic stress & depression a prediliction to psychiatric comorbidities as adult?

inmostleaf

inmostleaf

Chronic stress & depression a prediliction to psychiatric comorbidities as adult?

Hello,

I am new here. This is actually my first post, and hopefully this is the correct sub-forum to inquire about such a topic. I have been reading what I can for a long time now, and to be honest sometimes I'm not sure if what I'm reading is what I'm merely looking for.

So that's why I have come to writing this. To get a collective of objective opinions, insights, and even if anyone has something personally related that can add to this discussion.

My primary inquiry/question is the interest in how trauma and chronic stress as an early adolescent directly/indirectly affects development as an adult (I am 26 now)? I ask this because when I was 10 I lost a grandfather, at age 11 two cousins, at age 12 my mother, aunt (her sister), another cousin, and within a year after my father remarried to woman with 3 kids to add to myself and my two sisters. That situation in itself didn't help matters as my father wasn't around to help me and my sisters, and the fact my step-mom at the time was very old-school. She was very brash, authoritative, and just cold. To a point I believe she mentally and emotionally abused me and my sisters. She wasn't a very pleasant, nurturing woman. She just didn't have maternal instincts.

Anyway, if all of that weren't enough within 2-3 years after in immediate succession went a few other family members on my mother's side. My mother's side had a total of 10 children all from the same mother and father, and today there are only 2 left. All the rest have died from some form of cancer.

Over the course of the time from 13 to now/26 I have saw a host of professionals that have diagnosed me with Major Depression/Clinical, Generalized & Social Anxiety Disorder, Social Phobia, Bipolar I & II, Dysthymia/Atypical, Mixed-State Anxiety-Depression, and ADD-I.

My interest in my many diagnoses has led me to dig deeper into causes, and throughout reading I've come across interesting information.

Such as how the HPA-Axis can be permanently damaged due to the chronic stress/trauma and can result in either hypoactive pituitary or hyperactive pituitary which can lead to physiological problems and ultimately behavioral and emotional problems.

And from what I understand it's due an abnormality to the HPA axis having effects on many other systems.

So, if anyone has made if this far what do you think? Do you believe there be a specific implication to development in all aspects?

Also, I came across other possible developmental implication theories due to prolonged stress and trauma such as hemisphere hypo and hyper activity. In that the development of psychiatric comorbidities (as stated above) are greatly increased due to abnormal development of brain structure from early trauma, and chronic stress thereafter.

So, what does anyone think in regards to general impairment in social, mental, and emotional development?

Lastly, if it matters at all the other reason I'm writing this is to gain a better understanding not only for myself, but also for when I graduate and become a Social Worker. I have always thought that the whole point is if you deal with trials & tribulations yourself there are always people, especially the youth you can exert influences upon then maybe you can put these people in a mentality that will be beneficial to them later on. And that is the only hope I can possibly have.

Thank you for time and help. I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Take a break, have a Jazz

A

Apotheosis

Hi inmostleaf & :welcome: to the site

Simply & rationally; of course trauma & stress can lead to psychological problems; you only have to look at army personnel & people who see active service, to see the potential effect of high stress & trauma.

I do agree that there are causes & reasons for mental illness; & very often these causes are environmental.

We live in an age in which there are many conditions & individual circumstances in our lives which can lead to psychological upset. These are strange times.

I would reply more, but I have the washing up I need to get done & going out for a meal.

D

Dollit

So, what does anyone think in regards to general impairment in social, mental, and emotional development?
I'm a little surprised you asked this because the criteria for diagnosis of most mental health problems usually includes impairment in these categories. Poor mental health affects these and poor development in these areas can affect mental health but not always. There has to be other factors in place. There is no single cause.