Chronic migraine headches, please help!

Anon_21

Anon_21

Over the counter drugs Don't work and I'm worried about developing issues from taking so many over the years. My gp prescribed me imitrex which usually works (with side effects), and half the time the headache comes back next day.

They are odd headaches--tension migraines that occur on only one side of the base of my skull. It lasts for 2-3 days, I have one day off, then it reappears on the other side!!! My doc has never heard of that and I can't find anything online. I am in so much pain, and they make me sleepy and irritable.

Does this happen to anyone else, or do you have suggestions???

Passionflower

Passionflower

Since I have taken the med Pregabalin for anxiety, I have not had a migraine or any headaches for that matter. It might be coincidence but I don't think so as my migraines were severe lasting for 3 days or more and they couldn't disappear just like that for no reason.

Anon_21

Anon_21

Since I have taken the med Pregabalin for anxiety, I have not had a migraine or any headaches for that matter. It might be coincidence but I don't think so as my migraines were severe lasting for 3 days or more and they couldn't disappear just like that for no reason.
Thank you! I have not taken that med. Does it give you unpleasant side effects? I recently stopped my AD b/c of weight gain but will be going back for a checkup soon and might mention it.

Lexapro made my headaches worse so I thought stopping it might ease them but no such luck. :BLAH:

Passionflower

Passionflower

I haven't had any side effects that I have noticed.

S

stump

Is it possible that you're straining your neck in some way that is pinching your nerves and giving you the migraines? I used to suffer from headaches almost constantly until a doctor told me to read my books and laptop in a way that doesn't force me to bend my neck as much. Icy Hot, Bengay, Tiger Balm, etc. applied to the neck and shoulders usually help the days I slip back into my old habits.

Anon_21

Anon_21

Is it possible that you're straining your neck in some way that is pinching your nerves and giving you the migraines? I used to suffer from headaches almost constantly until a doctor told me to read my books and laptop in a way that doesn't force me to bend my neck as much. Icy Hot, Bengay, Tiger Balm, etc. applied to the neck and shoulders usually help the days I slip back into my old habits.
Yes, there are many days when I know exactly what has caused the strain. I used to think I was reacting to the pain on one side which caused strain on the other side and initiated another headache 3 days later, but even when the rx manages to get rid of it a second one still comes back. It's so weird.

Muscle relaxers haven't been effective enough and make me sleepy; I'll give the creams a shot, thanks!

N

natalie

I would highly recommend Migraleve Migraine Relief, mother takes for her and it's excellent, migraines for her never come back so quick.

Also, try taking Panadol Actifast painkiller, I take these for me, and they are excellent for normal h eadache, or tension headaches.

I wish you hopefully well.

Anon_21

Anon_21

I would highly recommend Migraleve Migraine Relief, mother takes for her and it's excellent, migraines for her never come back so quick.

Also, try taking Panadol Actifast painkiller, I take these for me, and they are excellent for normal h eadache, or tension headaches.

I wish you hopefully well.
Wonderful, thank you! I've never heard of those so will give that a shot as well:clap:

Chyna Pearl

Chyna Pearl

Do you get any signs before your migraine arrives? I get blurred vision, sounds hurt my head, nausea + vomiting and dizziness..I have been on all the meds. including getting Botox injections and nothing helps mine except strong painkillers..I have had them over 20 years., since I was 11 yrs. old...is frustrating cause I tried everything ever invented....

Anon_21

Anon_21

Most of mine are tension so any sign would be a tightness near my neck or shoulder (It's always just on one side first). Sometimes I can catch it in time with massage/stretching but alot of days I just wake up with it.

Several people in my family on both sides suffer chronic migraines too (though not tension I don't think). Guess it's just something else I'll always have to deal with :shrug:

E

Emptysilence

I have been a migraine sufferer since i was 10 years old. Im sorry your having troubles with your migraines. Have you tried preventatives like maxalt, imatrexes, also they have a proved botox for a migraine treatment. Do you see a neurologist? When I have a migraine I take my klonopin, bynadryl and hydrocodone, but that is after i have tried my maxilla. Another thing I have purchased was an Ice Cap. those are very helpful..

PM me anytime for help.

take care

Empty Silence

Anon_21

Anon_21

Hi, thanks for your response. I've never tried those preventatives you mentioned. I will have to look them up. Massage does help since it's triggered by muscle tension, and I wish I could afford going to a chiropractor again.

I'm on my third day of one now and bout ready to scream. But I know it is from sitting at my computer for hours a day lately. That's a major trigger. Prevention seems to be my best hope, but it's very hard to maintain. I'll be taking a muscle relaxer and script for it tonight. It didn't work on day one but should take care of it this far in...but the wild part is that I know it will come back on the other side of my neck/head after one day. So weird. And I'll have to continue working at my computer for the next couple of weeks so I will definitely be doing some more research on these suggestions. Thanks so much for the advice :)

Ah, just read your list better to look up and realized my prescription is some kind of immatrex. But it makes me tired and nauseous so wait til bedtime to take it, and by then the headache is too bad for med to work. :BLAH:

Last edited:
tiltawhirl

tiltawhirl

Bristol, TN/VA, USA (near mountains and 6 hours fr
Relpax worked for me. Mine were combo stress and hormones.
De-stressing my life and then menopause cured them.

But they used to get so bad my dr would give me injections of demerol!

Any caffeine habits that might be contributing? When I tapered off caffeine and went to sleepy time extra tea, I had much less free floating stress. Much more relaxed.

Anon_21

Anon_21

Relpax worked for me. Mine were combo stress and hormones.
De-stressing my life and then menopause cured them.

But they used to get so bad my dr would give me injections of demerol!

Any caffeine habits that might be contributing? When I tapered off caffeine and went to sleepy time extra tea, I had much less free floating stress. Much more relaxed.
I definitely always have free floating stress and don't exercise or stretch much, which I know would help. After realizing how badly caffeine was triggering my anxiety I've cut it way back, but can't seem to stop completely. I always give in at the next menstrual cycle. Hormones are the worst lol

I've never noticed a correlation between caffeine and headache though, unless I was trying to quit. Weather changes, too little sleep, water/food shortage, hormone cycles, poor posture, stress...so basically everything else lol

Thanks very much for the relpax suggestion, I will look that up too. I've never been to a neurologist, as Emptysilence mentioned, but an aunt of mine has, with no solutions, so maybe a lot of it is genetic? I'm pleased with the number of helpful suggestions, though, as my gp hasn't been overly helpful in that department!

tiltawhirl

tiltawhirl

Bristol, TN/VA, USA (near mountains and 6 hours fr
the caffeine thing was just to help reduce stress.

I am back on the caffeine train again now tho.

I was also given something to bring my blood pressure down on the 3-4 days before my period along with the relpax, which aborted the migraine as I felt them begin...but it did put me asleep for about 45 minutes.

But I was so relieved to have anything that helped as I had them so badly and so often.

Anon_21

Anon_21

Yeah, the imitrex stuff I take now might help more if I took it early enough. It's always a battle between dealing with a searing headache, or taking a nap so I don't throw up from the meds...

E

Emptysilence

I was on blood pressure medications, not for my BP but for my migraines. Ive also been on topamax and propanalol. Yeah the preventives are in effective if your in a full blown migraine. Migraines stink, hope you get better soon.