• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Chronic consistent phobia of my bad breath [serious - long post]

L

lonelyguy90

So since around July 2019 I've been having a difficult time with what I believe to be bad breath. When I mean bad I mean like halitosis; so bad that other people are smelling it across the room bad!

Now, to some, this is hilarious and funny. Its a bit of a taboo subject, but one that its very difficult to live with when you are the sufferer. So...objectively speaking; I have this bad taste in my mouth, like a foul taste. A bit like you have with morning breath, but this is literally all the time; within mins of brushing the taste is there. I don't remember the exact period of time when it changed, but I remember just coming to that realisation it tastes bad.

Anyhow...so, this all started when I attended a job interview. I was talking and the interviewer was in front of me and she sort of gawped and leaned away from me with this aghast look on her face. She then ended up hushing herself to the door way, and I turned [oblivious] and said my goodbyes and she sort of leaned away in disgust. Afterwards, it really played on my mind over and over, and I came to the conclusion I had bad breath...this was when I actually started to notice the taste in my mouth. I also noticed odd behaviours from other people in that job [which actually I got] like turning away, people rubbing noses, rubbing eyes, eyes watering, people sort of pulling faces, even smirking and laughing.

I witnessed a guy aggressively brushing his teeth in office bathroom one time. People would avoid me. I remember on commutes to work on busy mornings I would be face to face with commuters or pressed against the glass with no escape. I would feel the panic in the pit of my stomach, tight chested, and almost be in tears shaking. I used to be chronically late to work, as I'd have to hop on and off trams taking detours. On one occasion I heard a woman who got on the tram sat directly behind me and I think she was on phone or pretending to be: "oh my god...that is bad...really woah, he needs to go to the dentist my word - that is sooo bad"

I ended up been fired from that job in the October of that same year; because I ended up ringing in sick all the time, and not meeting targets due to been a recluse and not wanting to talk etc. Partner had left me in the August.

I was then jobless. Near homelessness. Moved back home with Mum. Now I'm in a new job but this problem still exists. I've been to two-three different dentists. Explained my concerns [I was almost not really taken seriously]...one the first occasion I was told if I was concerned about it, use mouth wash. I noticed these dentists opened the windows while I was in the chair. Second dentist denied anything could be smelled. She fitted a crown on a fractured tooth, this subsequently came out, but I believe there was a lot of decay there [so she botched the job - and contributed to it].

Third dentist, Said she couldn;t smell anything, but that it might be a food allergy, or it could be due to other 'local' causes, like acid reflux [which I have chronic history of]....I hate going to the dentist too as the nurses always laugh when I go in, and can overhear them chatting...heard the dentist last time say "your nose will fall off" went in and they was wearing biohazard suits/masks.

I've also been to two different doctors...

Honestly, I believe people are been polite and there is a problem. I can list numerous social incidents I've had with this, but its sooooo agonising. I can't do anything I used to be able to do. I am in psychotherapy right now, but its not helping. I am on medication which is useless. I have a GP appt for next week; I am hoping to be refered to CMHT because I can't cope with this and started to become suicidal over this.

I have no friends also, and feel a bit rejected by them too. The came to a BBQ and both left early because they said I didnt seem my usual self and said it was 'awkward'. I wasn't told this until afterwards. They said I came across as moody, and my mental health was the worst they'd ever seen it and I was 'rocking'.

I don't speak to them much since this, and my friend keeps rubbing it in that he has met this 'friend' in his world [a girl] who he works with and how they are walking to work together and doing things etc. I duno what to think or feel other than I've been abandoned by a lot of people in my life. This isn't even my whole life story just one part of it.

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
There is something called CB.. i cannot remember exactly, CB12? it is a mouth wash and very expensive in Boots. I am sure it is in other places and there are other good ones but i saw an advert on this once as a friend of mine has bad breath due to dental problems. She has since had all teeth removed on the top and has dentures.

It must be so difficult to cope with.

I am sure your GP or dentist can prescribe or suggest something. It is a medication condition after all.

I feel sad also for people with colostomy bags for similar reasons, it is very upsetting for them also and not much they can do about it but stay home. A family friend had one as he had crohns disease.

L

lonelyguy90

There is something called CB.. i cannot remember exactly, CB12? it is a mouth wash and very expensive in Boots. I am sure it is in other places and there are other good ones but i saw an advert on this once as a friend of mine has bad breath due to dental problems. She has since had all teeth removed on the top and has dentures.

It must be so difficult to cope with.

I am sure your GP or dentist can prescribe or suggest something. It is a medication condition after all.

I feel sad also for people with colostomy bags for similar reasons, it is very upsetting for them also and not much they can do about it but stay home. A family friend had one as he had crohns disease.
Yes I know which one you mean. I have tried various different mouthwashes, I floss, brush my tongue too....I tried one called Therabreath too, which was nearly twenty five pound a bottle...that didn't help I don't think.

It is difficult to cope with. Of course, I am on top of things now, but I feel like its a bit late. This is actually causing me a lot of mental health problems too [as it does affect my MH], and I think some professionals have been negligent too.

Nobody has prescribed anything. All they've said is to floss more. So I used those interdental picks you can use to floss. Its made virtually no difference.

Its frustrating because people look at me like i'm an absolute scruff and dirty, when I know I'm doing all I can. Its causing me a lot of rage, anger and frustration. I'm also becoming almost psychotic in a way, paranoid people can smell it when I'm sat in my house when they walk past the bay window....like its seriously impacting me. Surely if they find the dentist negligent or GP i can sue? If it turns out to be a real issue, and I did all I can?

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
I am sure you have tried everything, but i remember reading about chewing thyme? or was it parsley?

Bad breath if it is not dental, is it digestion?

I think if there is nothing you can do about it, the world will have to deal with it.

Some people look different, smell different and sound different, we all have to accept each other.

I

Ian Haines

Do you suspect that there are other areas of you that have a bad smell about them? How certain are you that this is a matter of only your breath having a disagreeable smell about it? Can you think of anything else that might be causing this response, in others? Has it happened fewer times since having to wear masks, in public?

Strawberry777

Strawberry777

So since around July 2019 I've been having a difficult time with what I believe to be bad breath. When I mean bad I mean like halitosis; so bad that other people are smelling it across the room bad!

Now, to some, this is hilarious and funny. Its a bit of a taboo subject, but one that its very difficult to live with when you are the sufferer. So...objectively speaking; I have this bad taste in my mouth, like a foul taste. A bit like you have with morning breath, but this is literally all the time; within mins of brushing the taste is there. I don't remember the exact period of time when it changed, but I remember just coming to that realisation it tastes bad.

Anyhow...so, this all started when I attended a job interview. I was talking and the interviewer was in front of me and she sort of gawped and leaned away from me with this aghast look on her face. She then ended up hushing herself to the door way, and I turned [oblivious] and said my goodbyes and she sort of leaned away in disgust. Afterwards, it really played on my mind over and over, and I came to the conclusion I had bad breath...this was when I actually started to notice the taste in my mouth. I also noticed odd behaviours from other people in that job [which actually I got] like turning away, people rubbing noses, rubbing eyes, eyes watering, people sort of pulling faces, even smirking and laughing.

I witnessed a guy aggressively brushing his teeth in office bathroom one time. People would avoid me. I remember on commutes to work on busy mornings I would be face to face with commuters or pressed against the glass with no escape. I would feel the panic in the pit of my stomach, tight chested, and almost be in tears shaking. I used to be chronically late to work, as I'd have to hop on and off trams taking detours. On one occasion I heard a woman who got on the tram sat directly behind me and I think she was on phone or pretending to be: "oh my god...that is bad...really woah, he needs to go to the dentist my word - that is sooo bad"

I ended up been fired from that job in the October of that same year; because I ended up ringing in sick all the time, and not meeting targets due to been a recluse and not wanting to talk etc. Partner had left me in the August.

I was then jobless. Near homelessness. Moved back home with Mum. Now I'm in a new job but this problem still exists. I've been to two-three different dentists. Explained my concerns [I was almost not really taken seriously]...one the first occasion I was told if I was concerned about it, use mouth wash. I noticed these dentists opened the windows while I was in the chair. Second dentist denied anything could be smelled. She fitted a crown on a fractured tooth, this subsequently came out, but I believe there was a lot of decay there [so she botched the job - and contributed to it].

Third dentist, Said she couldn;t smell anything, but that it might be a food allergy, or it could be due to other 'local' causes, like acid reflux [which I have chronic history of]....I hate going to the dentist too as the nurses always laugh when I go in, and can overhear them chatting...heard the dentist last time say "your nose will fall off" went in and they was wearing biohazard suits/masks.

I've also been to two different doctors...

Honestly, I believe people are been polite and there is a problem. I can list numerous social incidents I've had with this, but its sooooo agonising. I can't do anything I used to be able to do. I am in psychotherapy right now, but its not helping. I am on medication which is useless. I have a GP appt for next week; I am hoping to be refered to CMHT because I can't cope with this and started to become suicidal over this.

I have no friends also, and feel a bit rejected by them too. The came to a BBQ and both left early because they said I didnt seem my usual self and said it was 'awkward'. I wasn't told this until afterwards. They said I came across as moody, and my mental health was the worst they'd ever seen it and I was 'rocking'.

I don't speak to them much since this, and my friend keeps rubbing it in that he has met this 'friend' in his world [a girl] who he works with and how they are walking to work together and doing things etc. I duno what to think or feel other than I've been abandoned by a lot of people in my life. This isn't even my whole life story just one part of it.

Strawberry777

Strawberry777

Try parsley. It cleans the mouth of all scents

B

basil and oregano

If the tooth decay problem hasn't been fixed it's very likely to be the source. My father had a similar problem due to a dental abscess. Treating it did the trick.

K

Keesha

You might want to get tested for TMUA!
Trimethylaninuria. This might not sound helpful but try and realize that you aren’t alone. They didn’t make all those mouthwashes for you. There are plenty of people in the world with bad breath. I’m not meaning to belittle your situation. I’m trying to put it into perspective some. The people who poke fun are just plain rude.