• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Christmas Pressure

prairiechick

prairiechick

ACCOUNT CLOSED
ARRRRRRRRRRRRRGH! My mom knows I've become a raw vegan, and now she's asking me if I want to do some Christmas baking. The Christmas crazies are beginning again. She feels like she has to have a ton of cookies and pies for people to eat non-fucking-stop, and for years we've all been telling her we don't need to have all that food around. No one else is putting pressure on her but herself. I so want Christmas to be OVER, DONE, FINISHED. I hate Christmas with my mom. I wish I could just sleep straight through Christmas and not wake up until January. I've carried my mom's stress since my teen years, and I'm sick of it. And to add to all of this, between Christmas shopping and getting my computer fixed, I've got less than $30 in the bank to carry me through to January.

L

lovagemuffin

im feeling it to got a family function to go to 3 girls 3 kids 3 husbands 8 dogs and no more room lol stressed out to the max right now.:loveshower:

L

lovagemuffin

and my sister isn't texting me back with a time shes picking me up ahhhhhh!

prairiechick

prairiechick

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Why does our culture have to go so fucking crazy over Christmas????????? Seriously. Everyone is stressed about Christmas, but we all do it to ourselves year after year after year. WHY????????? Why do we all stress ourselves out about Christmas get-togethers and having everything look like Martha Stewart spent a week in your home? We've turned Christmas into pure MADNESS. If I still lived in Winnipeg I could just say sorry, I'm staying here this year. Not doing Christmas this year. But no, I moved back to BC to be closer to family, and right now I'm wondering why I did this to myself.

prairiechick

prairiechick

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Maybe I should just bake the damn cookies and keep the peace. If I had enough money I'd do some raw vegan version of cookies or tarts.

L

lovagemuffin

I do not know if it was me id say look mum ill buy some food but I really don't want to make it.
she can make it if she likes then you don't have to.
I always buy so much food why???????????? I never eat most ofit.

prairiechick

prairiechick

ACCOUNT CLOSED
ARRRRRRRRRRRGH! As if things aren't crazy enough, now my youngest sister is saying that she has other things planned for the 28th, which is when we were going to do our big family Christmas. WTF! My other sister and brother-in-law are only here for a short time, and we were planning around their schedule, and now my youngest sister is messing it up. I just want to say SCREW IT! I used to be accused of being "anti-family" by my youngest sister. Now look who's being anti-family. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

prairiechick

prairiechick

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I'm stressed because my mom has told me that she is not doing well right now, and I feel like if I don't step up it will be my fault if she falls apart. I'm already doing a couple of dishes for Christmas Day, and a couple of salads and pork tenderloin with wild blueberry sauce for the 28th, so it's not like I'm putting everything on my mom's shoulders. :panic::panic::panic::panic::panic::panic::panic::panic::panic::panic::panic::panic::panic:

M

Mastiff mom

Christmas is driving me.nuts,too! My husband is very rigid about sending out 50 Christmas cards, baking a dozen types of cookies to give to neighbors and fatten us up, my house looks like a Christmas store!

U

unit5

Why don't you just ignore Christmas? Christmas is just consumerism gone insane. I don't give out gifts and I don't accept gifts; I don't send out nor do I accept Christmas cards. I don't go Christmas shopping and I don't eat Christmas dinners.
The amount of stress people put themselves through is puzzling to me because it's easy to just refuse to celebrate this ludicrous religious/consumerist orgy of greed.

Just say "no" to Christmas and save yourselves a lot of anxiety and grief. I plan on doing my laundry on December 25th and relaxing with a good book, maybe watch a movie and have a nap.

D

Desna

Why don't you just ignore Christmas? Christmas is just consumerism gone insane. I don't give out gifts and I don't accept gifts; I don't send out nor do I accept Christmas cards. I don't go Christmas shopping and I don't eat Christmas dinners.
The amount of stress people put themselves through is puzzling to me because it's easy to just refuse to celebrate this ludicrous religious/consumerist orgy of greed.

Just say "no" to Christmas and save yourselves a lot of anxiety and grief. I plan on doing my laundry on December 25th and relaxing with a good book, maybe watch a movie and have a nap.
I agree wholeheartedly, unit25. Christmas is a source of stress (and often debt) that we just don't need. The real meaning of Christmas was to be thankful and kind to our community. Me and my partner will be snuggling up watching films, eating delicious, non Christmassy food and going for a walk and feeding local wildlife. Business as usual for us :)

B

boondoggle

Oh boy, have I tried. But I have an overly controlling mother and I get called rude, selfish, inconsiderate, and more when I say I don't want to participate. It's less hassle just going, putting up with it and only being yelled at because I'm in a crappy mood.

Though I do only spend a bare minimum on gifts since her boyfriend just whines (rather rudely even when the gift giver is in his presence) about what he gets from people and my mom just returns everything you get her. I don't put much effort into it anymore.

prairiechick

prairiechick

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mostly I do it for my nieces and nephews. They would be so disappointed if I ditched my family for Christmas. Plus, it's one of the only times our whole family is together. We already do a toned down version, and draw names among the adults, so I only have my nieces and nephews to buy for, and one adult. It's more all the craziness around food and my mom's stress about having everyone at their place, but my parents are the only ones with a house big enough to have everyone, since my one sister and her family are from out of town. My mom has this compulsion to bake way more cookies and pies than we need, even though we've told her a thousand times that we don't have that expectation of her.

U

unit5

Oh boy, have I tried. But I have an overly controlling mother and I get called rude, selfish, inconsiderate, and more when I say I don't want to participate. It's less hassle just going, putting up with it and only being yelled at because I'm in a crappy mood.

Though I do only spend a bare minimum on gifts since her boyfriend just whines (rather rudely even when the gift giver is in his presence) about what he gets from people and my mom just returns everything you get her. I don't put much effort into it anymore.
I can relate to the sort of pressure you're under and you have my sympathy. Sometimes it's better to just go with the flow and look forward to the end of the day. My mother was a lot like your mother, from the sounds of it. Maybe you can just do the minimum and remember that it's only one day out of 365. Nine days from now it will be 2015 and that's that!

U

unit5

Mostly I do it for my nieces and nephews. They would be so disappointed if I ditched my family for Christmas. Plus, it's one of the only times our whole family is together. We already do a toned down version, and draw names among the adults, so I only have my nieces and nephews to buy for, and one adult. It's more all the craziness around food and my mom's stress about having everyone at their place, but my parents are the only ones with a house big enough to have everyone, since my one sister and her family are from out of town. My mom has this compulsion to bake way more cookies and pies than we need, even though we've told her a thousand times that we don't have that expectation of her.
Well, your nieces and nephews owe you one, in my opinion! As they get older hopefully you can tone it down more and more and maybe it'll eventually taper off to just a quiet family day. At any rate, I wish you luck!

I guess I've been free of Christmas for so many years that I get a bit smug in my attitude and I apoligise for that.