• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Christmas food

G

george81

Hello all. I’m worried about how I will get through Christmas when there’s so much food around and I’m expected to eat a Christmas dinner and pretend I don’t have any worries about food and weight gain etc. Just want to appear normal but don’t know how to get round it with people watching what I do and don’t eat x stay safe all

Z

Zoe1

n yeah I tend to relax a bit on the dieting over Christmas
apart from when I'm on my own I can try to make up for it
with some proper food

they not able to make you a reduced portion ?

G

george81

hi there and thank you for your reply! I’ll be with my dad and he doesn’t know how much I am restricting, he’s commented on my appearance but he hasn’t got a clue what my diet is like. I’m trying to work out how to hide my methods from him whilst I stay with him over Christmas, even eating the Christmas dinner will take me way over what I’m allowed to eat so i guess I’ll have my work cut out when I get back home. I just don’t want him to clock on how bad my eating is and worry as I don’t want to put any more stress on him, this is my problem and is my only way of coping and I don’t want him to ask questions or wonder. I need to appear as normal as possible xx hugs to you

Z

Zoe1

hi George

not sure if you've had any professional help with this at all ?

I think you can get through this
if you don't feel you can eat your whole plateful
you could say something like
something yesterday didn't agree with you
is why you can't eat too much
try to change the subject and ask him something
about his life , his job, hobbies, any shared interests you have

or bring up a good memory of the family to share
if you have any of those ?

P

Purpleplum

Is it possible that you tell him that it's something you're working on but that you can't eat with him right now?

N

Noname416

I understand.

What I plan on doing is being mindful of what I eat during the week before Xmas and exercising. So that by Xmas I can relax and eat whatever I want. And remind myself that one day won’t hurt- you cannot gain weight just by one bad day.

I know, easier said then done.

G

george81

Thank you for all your suggestions everyone. I’m struggling at the moment with weight gain but without an obvious explanation, could be pre-menstrual fluid retention even though my periods are all over the place. I’m staying with my dad for a week over Christmas to keep him company and don’t want to give him any inkling I have an issue with eating. I haven’t had any help with this. I’m cutting down my medication as im
Wor

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
  • Safety Notice: Always seek the advice of your doctor, psychiatrist or other qualified health professional before making any changes to your medications or with any questions you may have regarding drugs/medications. In considering coming off psychiatric drugs it is very important that you are aware that most psychiatric drugs can cause withdrawal reactions, sometimes including life-threatening emotional and physical withdrawal problems. In short, it is not only dangerous to start taking psychiatric drugs, it can also be dangerous to stop them. Withdrawal from psychiatric drugs should only be done carefully under experienced clinical supervision.

G

george81

Sorry I didn’t mean to cause any trouble or offence, I am just very worried that the medication is causing emotional blunting, I can’t feel anything on them, I can’t even cry. I don’t know if it’s worse to feel crap
Or feel nothing at all. Am going to be very careful food wise in the next week to reduce the damage done by Christmas eating, I hope if I’m careful I won’t end up putting on loads of weight, I’m very worried about this. It feels like losing control or that I’m greedy, I feel I don’t deserve to eat properly, I deserve to feel bad. I need to feel like there’s at least one thing in my life that no one can tell me what to do , it’s all down to me. Also I feel like I deserve to feel the hunger pain. And I feel bad about my mom not being able to eat due to illness and I need to feel
How she did. Sorry all. Big hugs to you all, please stay safe x

Z

Zoe1

you need professional help with that George
its not true that you don't deserve to eat
( I have done this pattern myself actually )

and you need professional help to get the right meds
so that you don't feel blunted on them