• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Christmas anxiety 😥

J

Julie41

I’ve been in a pretty low mood & anxiety has risen it’s ugly head again
Leading up to Xmas was hard - too much to think of - think I’m coping but I’m obviously not - work myself silly trying to think of everything and everybody including family that have passed away
& also not being able to see my son & new Grandson who are not local to me
My sleep is awful - waking a lot & dreaming - no energy
Went to my eldest sons on Christmas Day - I woke up anxious - went but didn’t really want to - fixed smile on my face - left after a few hours - struggled with the noise & putting on a brave face was exhausting- got home & wanted to cry- l should have enjoyed being with my family but I didn’t - so many physical symptoms due to anxiety gets me so panicky l don’t know what to do with myself - keep asking myself “will l ever be in control of this” & will my life ever get better???
I also have health anxiety - even minor ailments are so serious to me
Here it is Boxing Day - awake at 5am - anxious !! Dozed on and off & just laid in bed as l didn’t want to get up to face anything - bit of a headache -sore eyes- I’ve been snuffly for a few days - palpitations & my mouth is sore so I’ve put 2 +2 together & come up with 200 that l have Covid !!!!
My sore mouth is more than likely from my inhaler - sore eyes are props from lack of sleep & so on
But I’m still anxious - dwelling - over thinking- definitely not enjoying my days - and really just want to lay in bed
That seems to be my safe place
Does anyone relate to some of this madness I’m going through
I would love to hear from you please

jajingna

jajingna

Hopefully this will soon pass. I dunno, seems like too many expectations are placed on holidays.

C

chow29

I’ve been in a pretty low mood & anxiety has risen it’s ugly head again
Leading up to Xmas was hard - too much to think of - think I’m coping but I’m obviously not - work myself silly trying to think of everything and everybody including family that have passed away
& also not being able to see my son & new Grandson who are not local to me
My sleep is awful - waking a lot & dreaming - no energy
Went to my eldest sons on Christmas Day - I woke up anxious - went but didn’t really want to - fixed smile on my face - left after a few hours - struggled with the noise & putting on a brave face was exhausting- got home & wanted to cry- l should have enjoyed being with my family but I didn’t - so many physical symptoms due to anxiety gets me so panicky l don’t know what to do with myself - keep asking myself “will l ever be in control of this” & will my life ever get better???
I also have health anxiety - even minor ailments are so serious to me
Here it is Boxing Day - awake at 5am - anxious !! Dozed on and off & just laid in bed as l didn’t want to get up to face anything - bit of a headache -sore eyes- I’ve been snuffly for a few days - palpitations & my mouth is sore so I’ve put 2 +2 together & come up with 200 that l have Covid !!!!
My sore mouth is more than likely from my inhaler - sore eyes are props from lack of sleep & so on
But I’m still anxious - dwelling - over thinking- definitely not enjoying my days - and really just want to lay in bed
That seems to be my safe place
Does anyone relate to some of this madness I’m going through
I would love to hear from you please
Hi Julie.
I’m sorry to hear you’re struggling still. Have you spoken with your family about how you’re feeling? Maybe that will help knowing, it takes the pressure off you feeling like you need to put on a brave face and be a certain way around them. I’m sure they’d be supportive no matter what. Christmas comes with a lot of expectations.. mostly that we put upon ourselves. But it can be such a hard time for a lot of people, especially if you’ve lost a loved one like you said you have.
This was my first Christmas without my grandad and I spent the whole of Christmas Eve crying and in a panic, and pretty much did the same thing last night. But we’re only human, and I’ve found it’s much harder in the long run trying to bottle feelings up or hide them, then it is to just let them out, have your moment (sometimes a very long moment 🙈) and then move past it for the time being, until you need to let it out again.
I know it’s easier said then done, but I have found to anxiety to be much more crippling when I’m not being honest with myself and how I’m feeling. I try so hard to fight against it, pushing my emotions away. And eventually it always catches op with me and hits me 10x harder.
It’s something that I’m still learning to do.. sit with my feelings and whatever uncomfortableness they bring and hope that they will pass soon.
My bed is also my safe place, whenever I’m having a bad day and feeling so anxious I just want to hurry up and climb into bed for some relief.. if that’s what you need to do today, tomorrow, or the next day.. allow yourself that time in your safe space 💕
Really hope that you feel better soon.. and reach out again on here whenever if not!

J

Julie41

Hopefully this will soon pass. I dunno, seems like too many expectations are placed on holidays.
You are right !! Everyone is supposed to be “happy” & to be honest that’s how everyone seems apart from me

J

Julie41

Hi Julie.
I’m sorry to hear you’re struggling still. Have you spoken with your family about how you’re feeling? Maybe that will help knowing, it takes the pressure off you feeling like you need to put on a brave face and be a certain way around them. I’m sure they’d be supportive no matter what. Christmas comes with a lot of expectations.. mostly that we put upon ourselves. But it can be such a hard time for a lot of people, especially if you’ve lost a loved one like you said you have.
This was my first Christmas without my grandad and I spent the whole of Christmas Eve crying and in a panic, and pretty much did the same thing last night. But we’re only human, and I’ve found it’s much harder in the long run trying to bottle feelings up or hide them, then it is to just let them out, have your moment (sometimes a very long moment 🙈) and then move past it for the time being, until you need to let it out again.
I know it’s easier said then done, but I have found to anxiety to be much more crippling when I’m not being honest with myself and how I’m feeling. I try so hard to fight against it, pushing my emotions away. And eventually it always catches op with me and hits me 10x harder.
It’s something that I’m still learning to do.. sit with my feelings and whatever uncomfortableness they bring and hope that they will pass soon.
My bed is also my safe place, whenever I’m having a bad day and feeling so anxious I just want to hurry up and climb into bed for some relief.. if that’s what you need to do today, tomorrow, or the next day.. allow yourself that time in your safe space 💕
Really hope that you feel better soon.. and reach out again on here whenever if not!
Hi 🙋‍♀️
Thank you for your reply - it made a lot of sense ❤ I find myself asking why l keep feeling like this - but if I delve into my feelings and pressure & expectations of myself I have then the answer
l’m doing it to myself !!!
Do you have any physical symptoms ie lightheaded- shaky- palpitations- scared which accompany anxiety??
My husband is sympathetic and l can talk to him but l feel like a broken record lately and it’s hard for someone to understand mental illness
My daughter & son just say chill out to me
I’m not great at positive thinking & have low self esteem & health anxiety very badly
I do think Christmas is hard for a lot of people with mental health

J

Jolly

Hi Julie.
Hi Julie. I feel for you. I was the same on Christmas Day but anxiety and dizziness got the better of me so could not wait for bed time and quiet. I have cried most of the day as husband wanted to go for a walk. My anxiety got the better of me and could not go. Hence I was apologising to him for my anxiety. I too have health anxiety which is truly awful. I do try the relaxation techniques which is hit and miss. I think the suggestion of an ice cube in each hand sounds a good idea and may try that when an attack comes on. I am also fed up with myself being in this state. As I am new to the site I would love to hear from anyone on how the cope as well. You take care Julie xx

J

Julie41

Hi Julie. I feel for you. I was the same on Christmas Day but anxiety and dizziness got the better of me so could not wait for bed time and quiet. I have cried most of the day as husband wanted to go for a walk. My anxiety got the better of me and could not go. Hence I was apologising to him for my anxiety. I too have health anxiety which is truly awful. I do try the relaxation techniques which is hit and miss. I think the suggestion of an ice cube in each hand sounds a good idea and may try that when an attack comes on. I am also fed up with myself being in this state. As I am new to the site I would love to hear from anyone on how the cope as well. You take care Julie xx
Thank you
I hope you get some relief very soon
It’s so debilitating- I too feel guilty when I’m not able to do things because my anxiety is too high- I feel a failure sometimes because l let it beat me
But honestly there are so many levels that anxiety
I can honestly say the best I’ve been in a year is 75% ok but once again I’m hovering around 30% now
Like you said the relaxation techniques are a bit hit & miss - l think it depends how severe the anxiety is
I’ve never heard about the ice cube in each hand - l suppose that would come under distraction techniques
Hoping you feel brighter ver soon x

J

Juliet4

Hello all I’m new here. I’ve been suffering from crippling anxiety on and off for some years now. Just before Christmas last year it hit me very badly. My father was ill and subsequently passed away during the first lockdown in April. I was off work by then and not coping at all. The anxiety so bad I was on increasing doses of Sertraline and another drug suggested by the mental health team. On top of this I was taking lorazepam to stop the panic attacks.
I was in such a mess I really thought I should be admitted to the mental health unit as I couldn’t control the anxiety at all.
my work referred me to a counsellor who supported me for months face to face when possible and over the phone.
I used the Breethe App for anxiety and learnt to meditate daily and well as using mindfulness.
I thought I was going mad. I thought it would never end. I had side effects from all the medications which made my anxiety even worse.
Through the summer I slowly improved and came off all the meds as they did little to help me really. I didn’t need the lorazepam as the weeks went by my anxiety settled.
I continued to meditate every day and used breathing techniques which helped.
Towards the end of November, almost a year later, it came back again. I noticed that I had started to worry about Xmas and Covid and not seeing family. The anxiety quickly took hold again despite me using all the techniques I’d learnt.
It got so bad again that my GP started me on Citalopram this time and gave me Lorazepam to take for the panic attacks.
I start feeling anxious from the minute I wake up and it just builds through the day until I can’t take the physical symptoms any longer. Then I have to take lorazepam to calm me down.
During the evenings I’ve noticed very bad heartburn and stomach churning with nausea. I’m wondering whether it’s the medication causing this? I’ve been on 20mgs of Citalopram for just under 2 weeks now. I’ve read that nausea and heartburn can be a common side effect with Citalopram?
I’m hoping this will pass? Has anyone else had similar?
Sorry it’s such a long post.

J

Julie41

Hello all I’m new here. I’ve been suffering from crippling anxiety on and off for some years now. Just before Christmas last year it hit me very badly. My father was ill and subsequently passed away during the first lockdown in April. I was off work by then and not coping at all. The anxiety so bad I was on increasing doses of Sertraline and another drug suggested by the mental health team. On top of this I was taking lorazepam to stop the panic attacks.
I was in such a mess I really thought I should be admitted to the mental health unit as I couldn’t control the anxiety at all.
my work referred me to a counsellor who supported me for months face to face when possible and over the phone.
I used the Breethe App for anxiety and learnt to meditate daily and well as using mindfulness.
I thought I was going mad. I thought it would never end. I had side effects from all the medications which made my anxiety even worse.
Through the summer I slowly improved and came off all the meds as they did little to help me really. I didn’t need the lorazepam as the weeks went by my anxiety settled.
Towards the end of November, almost a year later, it came back again. I noticed that I had started to worry about Xmas and Covid and not seeing family. The anxiety quickly took hold again despite me using all the techniques I’d learnt.
It got so bad again that my GP started me on Citalopram this time and gave me Lorazepam to take for the panic attacks.
I start feeling anxious from the minute I wake up and it just builds through the day until I can’t take the physical symptoms any longer. Then I have to take lorazepam to calm me down.
During the evenings I’ve noticed very bad heartburn and stomach churning with nausea. I’m wondering whether it’s the medication causing this? I’ve been on 20mgs of Citalopram for just under 2 weeks now. I’ve read that nausea and heartburn can be a common side effect with Citalopram?
Hi Juliet
I was coping ok until my father in law passed away last December - it hit me very hard as I helped care for him
In jan 2020 I became so unwell, like you l thought l was going mad & could not cope or even be on my own
My meds were increased to 30mg of Citalopram daily
I had been on 20mg for quite a few years due to anxiety but I’d never felt anxiety like this so I agreed to take the higher dose - the increase gave me side effects which heightened my anxiety to the Max - shakes- nausea- lightheaded- burning skin- palpitations etc ... but probably some of these can be attributed to anxiety
I had CBT by phone due to the pandemic
It does help when the anxiety is not too bad -
I’ve had ups & downs - steady for a few weeks then thinking too much or worrying/dwelling on health issues or whatever will send me down again.
It’s extremely hard to control
I still have nausea most days - only able to probably manage a small banana and water until the evening - I too think this could be anxiety or a side effect of Citalopram
Hoping you get some relief very soon x

A

Alexander Ypsilantis

Holidays are supposed to be wonderful, but for most of us they're very stressful. My wife and I have really cut-back on festivities, gifts, meals and the like. We're both above 65 and no longer have kids at home to increase the volume. Last year we really kept it simple and sent out for Chinese take-out for dinner! We had a blast eating that and watching the specials on TV. No such luck this year, my wife took the wrong step off a two-step descent into our breezeway and fell and broke a bone in her foot. That REALLY cut down on our plans. She has the foot bandaged up and in the plastic bootie-getting that taken care of during the pandemic lockdown wasn't much fun, but we managed it. But no dinner on Christmas day, I just baked some of her favorite muffins and she has to repose on the bed and stay off that foot for 3-4 weeks. Our 'holiday' was pretty much taking plates into the bedroom and laying side by side on the bed, watching Hallmark movies and the usual Christmas specials. I can do without the broken foot, but as far as simplifying things-we enjoy that much more than the old BIG family get-togethers! Keep it simple, that's how you have a stress free holiday and make real memories.

A

Alexander Ypsilantis

I think your meditation is a better way of controlling anxiety that any of those medications. I've been on Paxil for almost 25 years for depression, as I have a genetic predisposition towards Depressive thought. But Paxil really does nothing for Anxiety, the other side of the Depression coin. I don't think any of the SSRI's are good for anxiety. The only thing I have ever taken that takes the edge off of anxiety is Zanax or one of it's tranquilizer brethren, and they're habit forming long term and can have withdrawal issues in some people. But, I only take a real mild dose to help anxiety and then only on rare occasions. Meditation/Breathing Exercises are also a good approach, but you have to stay at them and keep practicing.

J

Jolly

Thank you
I hope you get some relief very soon
It’s so debilitating- I too feel guilty when I’m not able to do things because my anxiety is too high- I feel a failure sometimes because l let it beat me
But honestly there are so many levels that anxiety
I can honestly say the best I’ve been in a year is 75% ok but once again I’m hovering around 30% now
Like you said the relaxation techniques are a bit hit & miss - l think it depends how severe the anxiety is
I’ve never heard about the ice cube in each hand - l suppose that would come under distraction techniques
Hoping you feel brighter ver soon x
Hi Julie. Mine is about 80% and I am feeling agro phobic. I have a heart monitor on for five days and that is making me worse. Also I am finding it very hard to digest food so not eating much and I can’t afford to lose weight. I am waiting to see a counsellor soon to see if they can help. The worst part is I work in mental health and should know all the answers but they have gone out of my head. This is the first time I am seeing a counsellor as I do need help but will try the ice cubes if a really bad attack comes on. I do hope you feel better soon.
hi Juliet. So sorry to hear about your suffering. You may have read my first ever post. Yesterday was dreadful. I had a good cry and that seemed to help a bit as I was feeling sorry for myself then felt physically exhausted after that. I can’t wait to see my counsellor to chat (normally an introvert). Because I get so anxious at night I leave the television on all night so when I wake up I am distracted but hubby is not happy. He is expecting me to go out today so I am being positive or trying. I have not taken any medication as yet but was advised propranolol would be a good med to start on to help with palpitations and anxiety. I find it hard to get up on a morning and my tummy is all over the place. I hate being left alone in case I have an anxiety or panic attack. It really is debilitating. I was last like this over 30 years ago. I also have phobias which I avoid. I hide it from my children and then feel exhausted. The worst thing I did was buy a Fitbit as I am checking it all the time. I have been told to stop doing this or take it off. As you can see by the forum you are not alone. I am thinking of everyone who is suffering from this. Just because you can’t see it does not mean it is real. Write down your thoughts or post another on the forum which might help. Thinking of everyone. You are not alone. Xx

J

Jolly

Dear all. Today is not good. Feel dreadful. Anxiety through the roof with palpitations and on top of that I have vestibular problems and sinus. I do feel I am not coping at all today so thought I would post a note for some help in how to calm down and relax. I know I am not alone with this problem but not coping today. I don’t feel like anything to eat either as tummy is all over the place and shaking. Just looking for a little support to see if anyone else is on the same position. Xx

Talula67

Talula67

Hi Jolly

I'm sorry you are struggling today and just wanted to send you love and light through cyberspace.

Christmas and New Year can be draining and also exacerbates my anxiety on lots of different levels.

I woke up this morning feeling like spending the day at the park with my dog and ended up under the duvet full of anxiety and a racing brain.

I put on a meditation via YouTube and done some deep breathing and have been reading this message board for most of the day and have calmed down loads.

I am in the habit though of waiting until it's dark before I leave the house to walk my dog in case I have to have a conversation with someone.

I think personally it takes a little time to get over the festive period spiritually. Sometimes I just do what my body tells me and that is usually to climb under my duvet to my safe space. I try not to be hard on myself either.

Hope you start feeling better soon XXX

J

Jolly

Hi Tamils. Thank you for your post. I am trying to calm myself and then I start feeling sick (a phobia I have) so now feel worse. Sometimes it helps just writing things down as I am doing on here. I feel so sad for my hubby who has to put up with it. I feel I need to go to the hospital as well just because I am frightened of these feelings but obviously with the situation and our hospital being full I would not dream of it. It is the worst feelings ever. I feel as if I am going to have a stroke or something. I have good intentions and then whoosh it comes back and hits me. Hot cold shaky all those horrible feelings. Sorry for the long post but I needed to say it. Xx