Choosing Carers

J

JJSully

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum and I thought I would borrow your brains for a while....Really I need help.

I have a severe disability called SMA Type 2. This consequently makes me electric wheelchair bound, unable to walk, and reliant on carers for help.

Despite the difficulties my disability produces, unfortunately, I was dropped from a patient lift/hoist (used for transferring people unable to walk) from 6ft on to concrete by a carer who was in a rush.

This caused me extensive injuries such as a broken arm, broken rib, broken knee, which are still conflicting with my disability.

The main injury was being diagnosed with PTSD which causes added pain and discomfort to my everyday life.

My PTSD conflicts with my care and especially at the current care agency I am with.

Unfortunately the person that hoisted me against my will was Eastern European.

Therefore I find that people from Eastern Europe have the same voice, attitude, and mentality.

The care agency are persistent giving me Eastern European profiles despite knowing I have PTSD.

However they keep on telling the commissioning care group formerly the PCT that I am refusing carers.

I remember I spoke to someone within the disability advocacy service that said I was allowed to choose who I want because when working in intimate care discrimination laws i.e. gender, age, race, nationality, do not apply and is it up to the client what they choose.

I can't for the life of me seem to find it, I'm not sure if it was in the human rights act or the care act?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

JJ

Poopy Doll

Poopy Doll

Hello and Welcome to the Forum. Sounds like you have a difficult set of circumstances to deal with on a daily basis. You should have every right to chose your own caregiver and every right to refuse the ones you don't want. I'm sorry I don't know much about the law. You should be able to google it ??? So what does SMA stand for ?? We had a dear friend with a muscular disease. He had no muscles left and lived in his wheelchair. He was my boyfriends best friend. I think the advocacy group is a good resource for you. I'm sorry I'm not much help. Your post caught my attention. I'm so sorry that person dropped you. That's just terrible. :welcome: to the Forum once again and please feel free to write any time.