• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Chloropromazine.

M

MrNobody

Anyone else on this? Or have experience with it? My dose has recently been tripled and I'm noticing some side effects. I was wondering if there's any long term side effects that my phychiatrist hasnt told me about.

F

flatz

Yes I was prescribed this drug through the 90's at very high doses.

It's named "chemical lobotomy" as it's said to fry the prefrontal cortex.

For me it was a strange drug that dulled life.

F

firemonkee57

Had a bad bout of akathisia on this during my first hospitalisation in the mid 70s . Felt like a restless zombie.

fazza

fazza

I was on this when I had had my first spell in hospital. I was on 400mg a day. I felt ok although it did make my muscles very stiff. I was given procyclidine to help with the muscle stiffness.

I found it got rid of the voices and would be happy to go on it again.
Good luck with it I hope it helps you. I am wondering why they have put you on a this instead of a newer type like risperidone or olanzapine ect ect

Per Ardua Ad Astra

Per Ardua Ad Astra

It was one of the first drugs I was put on, during my initial hospital admissions.

The side effects I experienced were dizziness, and cos it was the summer, sensitivity to sunlight. I got burned by the Sun very easily, and had to be given sun screen from the pharmacy before I went out for a walk in the hospital grounds. A chap I knew was on this med as well, and he went out without sun lotion, and came back red as anything, and very, very uncomfortable.

I was only on the drug a short while (to counter the dizziness I was given Procyclidine, which in turn made me constipated), then I was changed to Thioridazine, which I found more acceptable at the time :)

M

MrNobody

I am wondering why they have put you on a this instead of a newer type like risperidone or olanzapine ect ect
I tried risperidone but it didn't really help. I'm on the chloropromazine mainly for paranoid thoughts / delusions. It's working really well but I have noticed that I have an extremely dry mouth now and I've been really itchy and dizzy, especially if I go from sitting down to standing up.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
it was the first med that helped with schitzoprenia, a precursor to modern drugs, i was on 4 100 mg a day when i first went in my neck went at some weird angle they gave me procyclidine

It was the discovery of the anti psychotic effects of chlorpromazine that led to the development of other drugs it's other name was largactol some talk about the largactol shuffle

Surprised anyones on it can't help thinking in the present climate it's because it's a cheap drug

M

MrNobody

I am noticing some side effects but tbh having my thoughts and delusions under control is more important to me at this stage. Unfortunately I'm still battling to control my depression though :(

W

wannabegooroo

from experience taking thorazine, the side effects are the lesser of two evils, the big issue amongst many is accepting that they need medications, and because many reject the drug,any negative side effect is magnified...its all about our sense of self and being able to cope and perceiving ourselves as weak or inferior for needing medication. When I first got unwell, I was very anti psychiatry and medication, but I later realised it's the lesser of two evils.

R

rosebetween2thorns

Well wanna I wanna tell you something. I aint got myself on this forum not for nothing so do please sit up and listen. There is a spiritual awareness forum down below with lots of ideas for using your brains without medicine. So hope you dont mind me having my say. One day at a time for sure I Will be dead so brains are for connecting and for using and woe berrorra if you cant use your brains to figure. A fair amount of alcohol with stablizers dont help either so just saying that was all.

R

rosebetween2thorns

Ah hope you sit up in bed and have somemilky products with lots and lots of stout. Now that is doctors orders from the 1950s. Plenty of crashingly boring I am to say this but fresh air is all you need to. And dont stop on top of the world where the pilot is frightened of you because you look funny in your green hat and cape and dont forget to wear proper sensible shoes or wear a plaid skirt if you are a boy or a rokken pair of trousers if you are a girl. So no freedom of expression, ever, not now not ever. So pleae give your brrains a miss and check your feelings then you Will see your depression were meant to be, because in this god foresaken rotten worl tit is nothin compared to someone who wants to screwball your brains for a nice wee astral fly in.

As they do. You know. Sorry to frighten but that is how tit is. There hopes you smile now for to smile liffs a depression accordingly.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
Ah hope you sit up in bed and have somemilky products with lots and lots of stout. Now that is doctors orders from the 1950s. Plenty of crashingly boring I am to say this but fresh air is all you need to. And dont stop on top of the world where the pilot is frightened of you because you look funny in your green hat and cape and dont forget to wear proper sensible shoes or wear a plaid skirt if you are a boy or a rokken pair of trousers if you are a girl. So no freedom of expression, ever, not now not ever. So pleae give your brrains a miss and check your feelings then you Will see your depression were meant to be, because in this god foresaken rotten worl tit is nothin compared to someone who wants to screwball your brains for a nice wee astral fly in.

As they do. You know. Sorry to frighten but that is how tit is. There hopes you smile now for to smile liffs a depression accordingly.
thorazine or largacto isn't for depression it's for major psychosis

W

wannabegooroo

it has a mild sedating influence, like a tranquiliser, it's not as addictive as benzos or Xanax, this helps with anxiety which can ease psychotic features

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
it has a mild sedating influence, like a tranquiliser, it's not as addictive as benzos or Xanax, this helps with anxiety which can ease psychotic features
they claim it's not addictive but i was put on it after a stressful patch again, and when i came off it the gp said i was suffering withdrawal, i said it's not supposed to be addictive he said it's not mentally addictive

W

wannabegooroo

its lesser, you don't want to get hooked on valium, you will experience withrawls to the extreme