• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Children of Bipolar

S

Salador

Hello, I was wondering was is the possibility of a child with one parent bipolar to be bipolar?

H

hairybanana

Hello, I was wondering was is the possibility of a child with one parent bipolar to be bipolar?
I can’t say with certainty. I think it increases the chance, but from what I understand there’s a lot of uncertainty around what causes bipolar

G

Gratefultobewell

I thick it has a genetic pattern, my mother and her brother had schizophrenia as well as my nephew, another nephew has bipolar as do I, and my daughter has MDD. That said, I am the oldest of five and none of my siblings have any mental health issues.

Q

Queenoface

None of my parents or anyone that I know in my lineage has bipolar, but me and my brother has mental issues. So I really wouldn't know how to answer that question. And it's a good question, it makes me not want to have kids.

S

SFGuy

Yes. Wishbone has the science, I have an anecdote.

My aunt and a cousin are disabled with bipolar disorder. The grandfather who carried the genes died of alcoholism (wet brain), which has to have been self-medication. My father acted like he had Bipolar 2, but didn't trust psychiatry. I've been diagnosed.

I hope all the information in this thread helps.

Gigirez

Gigirez

I have a schizophrenic uncle and great aunt. My biological father has undiagnosed but very obvious OCD. My half-sister on my father's side also has OCD, as does her oldest child.

I have been diagnosed with: bipolar 2, CPTSD, OCD, Generalized Anxiety Disorder (I think that's it, I feel like I'm missing something....lol)

I'm starting to rethink my plan to have biological children. I don't want to pass any of this to my children.

G

Gratefultobewell

I think that having children, or even adopting, is a genetic crapshoot, you could have a child with other problems too, but you have to be ready to decide to commit to them no mater what happens, just like the marriage vows, in sickness and in health.

T

timing

These statistics vary widely from 10 to 85 percent. The higher variable is most likely with 2 parents who are bipolar.
Example: Grandmother: bipolar
Has 2 kids and one is bipolar

Mother: bipolar
Has 9 kids and one is bipolar

Me: bipolar and husband
Has 2 kids and one is bipolar

C

CabbageMama

I had no idea I had bipolar when I had children, have been treated for it for just over a year, formally diagnosed about 3 months ago. My 13 year old has very good mental health, my 12 year old has struggled with theirs for the last 9 months or so - issues with their identity and gender/sexuality, severe anxiety, self harm. They are due to begin 1-1 work with Camhs soon, have been living away from home for 6 weeks now, say they are not safe here or with me, refuse to see me at all at the moment. Meanwhile, my 13 year old is absolutely fine, has been throughout it all, and our relationship remains very strong.

Wishbone

Wishbone

To be fair though @CabbageMama that doesn't mean your 13 year won't develop any problems later. I didn't have any problems until I was 17, although I was very moody when I was 10-12 onwards, which could have been a sign of things to come but really who knows. Boys seem to be behind girls in terms of development upstairs too so things may change. For all anyone knows neither of your two could end up with Bipolar or it may even be a complete switch and the one you expect may go on to have it turns out not to, but the 13 year old does. Only time will tell. But no sense in worrying about things that might not occur, just take it as it comes and see what transpires if/when it does. By then you should be an expert 😉

Topcat

Topcat

I had no idea I had bipolar when I had children, have been treated for it for just over a year, formally diagnosed about 3 months ago. My 13 year old has very good mental health, my 12 year old has struggled with theirs for the last 9 months or so - issues with their identity and gender/sexuality, severe anxiety, self harm. They are due to begin 1-1 work with Camhs soon, have been living away from home for 6 weeks now, say they are not safe here or with me, refuse to see me at all at the moment. Meanwhile, my 13 year old is absolutely fine, has been throughout it all, and our relationship remains very strong.
hi there, the bit I put in bold is happening so much right now just in the small amount of young people that I know or am aware of (my own daughter and niece included, both around the same age) so it must be a much larger problem. I'm sorry things sound pretty tough for you, I hope it all works out soon xx

Topcat

Topcat

I had no idea I had bipolar when I had children.
Also, same. I had 4 children, then lost it and got diagnosed bipolar. Although I dispute that diagnosis, I definitely have my issues tho. As does husband. My kids don't stand a chance :unsure: