• Welcome! If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Child with anxiety/depression

M

Moogers

Anyone out there have an adult child with anxiety/depression? My son is 32 and his seems to be getting worse! I’m a mess. He sees a psych doctor, who is very good, but so far nothing has helped. He’s drinking more because of his anxiety, but since alcohol is a depressant, it can’t be helping. He’s nearing the end of 36 TMS brain stimulations with no luck so far. I know there’s not any advice anyone can give me; just venting and hoping to find others who have worries about their children... 😕

R

RockyMountainsGirl

Is the drinking counteracting any positive results from TMS?

If you say what his mental health diagnosis is, I may be able to suggest something.

I read that 60% of people with bipolar disorder self-medicate with drugs and alcohol. I'm guessing that he has major depression, which I have, but if he's bipolar I can also suggest meds and treatments that have worked for the BP people I know in a group I'm involved in. We share the types of meds and treatments that have helped us.

Care-givers need support, especially when there's only so much you can do for someone, so it's great that you're reaching out in this forum.

M

Moogers

No, no BP. First anxiety, which seemed to be controllable. Doctor says she believes depression is coming from the fact that his anxiety is so bad. Can’t sit, mind racing. Plus he has ADHD and learning disabilities. It’s hard for adults with ADHD. In my son’s case, medication for that makes anxiety. worse because it’s a stimulant.

R

RockyMountainsGirl

No, no BP. First anxiety, which seemed to be controllable. Doctor says she believes depression is coming from the fact that his anxiety is so bad. Can’t sit, mind racing. Plus he has ADHD and learning disabilities. It’s hard for adults with ADHD. In my son’s case, medication for that makes anxiety. worse because it’s a stimulant.
The medication is a balancing act. It's sometimes tough to get it right. The BP people I know have lots of anxiety at various times until they're stabilized with medication. A friend says her BP anxiety doesn't exist any more now that her doctor has prescribed Abilify.

Often she has anxiety when switching medication, and some people with BP get panic attacks.

I'm not a doctor but I read that some people with BP have an anxiety disorder combined with BP, and the two disorders are treated separately and together, but you should ask the psychiatrist about this.

Antidepressants can trigger manic episodes but small doses are used for sleep. I wish you lots of luck. How are you doing?

2Much2Feel

Good question, how are you doing? That is a lot. I'm dealing w a teenager who's gotten depressed due to this past year, but obviously I have more control since he's a juvenile. It can feel helpless, and it can also make you resent the person at times when you've tried and tried to help to no avail. I also self medicate for anxiety and depression, I know a lot of us do esp when professional help isn't available or isn't working. Interesting re the TMS, I was going to give that a shot, not sure if I will.

One thing that brought me out of my deep darkness last summer was ketamine IVs. They are expensive, can be hard to find, and often when you're dealing with addiction, need to be v careful there. But it was the only thing that really pulled me out of it, for a good 3 months. Going to start again w the nasal spray form of it soon (less expensive, etc.). My sister deals w her adult son w ADHD, anxiety and depression, and I know she goes through hell trying to get him to get the right help. It's esp hard once you're self medicating.

I'd suggest (and I know a lot of people out there disagree) looking into ketamine as a way to reboot if possible. Not sure how ADHD and addiction would play into it, but you may want to have him at least ask his doctor about it. I'm sorry you're going through all of this stress. Fingers crossed for you and your son. You obviously love and support him, which makes all the difference in the world.

R

RockyMountainsGirl

Good question, how are you doing? That is a lot. I'm dealing w a teenager who's gotten depressed due to this past year, but obviously I have more control since he's a juvenile. It can feel helpless, and it can also make you resent the person at times when you've tried and tried to help to no avail. I also self medicate for anxiety and depression, I know a lot of us do esp when professional help isn't available or isn't working. Interesting re the TMS, I was going to give that a shot, not sure if I will.

One thing that brought me out of my deep darkness last summer was ketamine IVs. They are expensive, can be hard to find, and often when you're dealing with addiction, need to be v careful there. But it was the only thing that really pulled me out of it, for a good 3 months. Going to start again w the nasal spray form of it soon (less expensive, etc.). My sister deals w her adult son w ADHD, anxiety and depression, and I know she goes through hell trying to get him to get the right help. It's esp hard once you're self medicating.

I'd suggest (and I know a lot of people out there disagree) looking into ketamine as a way to reboot if possible. Not sure how ADHD and addiction would play into it, but you may want to have him at least ask his doctor about it. I'm sorry you're going through all of this stress. Fingers crossed for you and your son. You obviously love and support him, which makes all the difference in the world.
I'm interested in ketamine. Why do you have to be careful with ketamine IVs? I read they are for major depressive episodes, especially if someone is suicidal?

I have major depression and my psychiatrist and neurologist withdrew me from 70% of my medication because of memory issues and high risk of serotonin syndrome.

Later, I got really sick suddenly one day when exercising and was rushed to hospital with arrhythmia and a swollen heart muscle (called myocarditis).

The doctors don't know the exact cause but thought my psychiatric meds may have caused this, and took me off Trintellix, which worked well for me.

I'm thinking ketamine might be an option if I don't stabilize emotionally. I'm going to focus on psychotherapy for now. I want to find a new psychiatrist.

2Much2Feel

I'm interested in ketamine. Why do you have to be careful with ketamine IVs? I read they are for major depressive episodes, especially if someone is suicidal?

I have major depression and my psychiatrist and neurologist withdrew me from 70% of my medication because of memory issues and too much medication.

I got really sick suddenly one day when exercising and was rushed to hospital with arrhythmia, which may have caused my heart muscle to swell (called myocarditis). The doctors don't know the exact cause but thought that my psychiatric meds may have caused this, and they took me off Trintellix, which worked well for me, so ketamine might be an option if I don't stabilize emotionally. I'm going to focus on psychotherapy for now.
Ketamine for one thing can cause your blood pressure to go up, so they'll want to make sure you're healthy enough for it. I have to go in for a physical next week to clear me cause I have hypertension and a fast heart rate. They have to monitor these while giving you the IV. It also causes bladder issues over time if you use it too much. Those are the main issues they look at. So your doctor would need to look at your heart issues first. It really did save me; I was at my absolute end and just did it even though I was terrified, but it can be really helpful pretty quickly.

R

RockyMountainsGirl

It's great to hear you're getting help. I'm also sorry that your teenager is going through a rough time. I think teens should see psychologists when depressed to learn coping strategies early on. I wish I had done that as a teen.

2Much2Feel

It's great to hear you're getting help. I'm also sorry that your teenager is going through a rough time. I think teens should see psychologists when depressed to learn coping strategies early on. I wish I had done that as a teen.
Yes. Definitely. I've got him going twice a month now, and it's been so helpful. It's so hard to help them even when you've been through it yourself, so a therapist was needed. I did it as a teen, and I don't think I'd have made it through high school w/o some type of help for anxiety/panic attacks. Shoot, I have to go pick up my son.....

R

RockyMountainsGirl

Ketamine for one thing can cause your blood pressure to go up, so they'll want to make sure you're healthy enough for it. I have to go in for a physical next week to clear me cause I have hypertension and a fast heart rate. They have to monitor these while giving you the IV. It also causes bladder issues over time if you use it too much. Those are the main issues they look at. So your doctor would need to look at your heart issues first. It really did save me; I was at my absolute end and just did it even though I was terrified, but it can be really helpful pretty quickly.
How long-lasting are the ketamine treatments? Can you take ketamine indefinitely or for years? What about TMS? Any suggestions for me?

Ketamine is only prescribed in Alberta, Canada if you're suicidal and haven't responded to other psychiatric medication. I had to withdraw from 70% of my psych medication and experienced suicide ideation a few weeks ago, but Alberta Health wants patients to have attempted suicide before they try ketamine, even though I'm sure that ketamine's job is to prevent suicide.

I would like to try ketamine or TMS considering I have major depression and doctors have learned I get arrhythmia from antidepressants. I had to withdraw from Trintellix, which worked well for me.

R

RockyMountainsGirl

Many children have fears and worries, and may feel sad and hopeless from time to time. Strong fears may appear at different times during development. For example, toddlers are often very distressed about being away from their parents, even if they are safe and cared for. Although fears and worries are typical in children, persistent or extreme forms of fear and sadness could be due to anxiety or depression. Because the symptoms primarily involve thoughts and feelings, they are sometimes called internalizing disorders.
Yes, I hate to see kids suffer. I didn't have a clinical psychiatric illness as a child, I suffered a great deal from abuse and neglect, and these literally stoke the seeds of major depressive illness and post-traumatic stress disorder.

In other words, childhood abuse and neglect drive kids crazy. Doctors see the ravaging effects when they image the frontal lobes of the brain and see more grey matter and a permanently shrunken left hippocampus.

R

RockyMountainsGirl

Many children have fears and worries, and may feel sad and hopeless from time to time. Strong fears may appear at different times during development. For example, toddlers are often very distressed about being away from their parents, even if they are safe and cared for. Although fears and worries are typical in children, persistent or extreme forms of fear and sadness could be due to anxiety or depression. Because the symptoms primarily involve thoughts and feelings, they are sometimes called internalizing disorders.
My mistake: I meant to say that doctors saw a reduction in the grey matter of the brain (in the tissue that contains brain cells) in kids who were neglected and abused.

2Much2Feel

Hey, I’m sorry you’re going through this. The ketamine infusions take like half an hour and I believe I did one treatment a week for 6 weeks. The peace of mind I got from it lasted about 3 months, then you can do it again. It was amazing, and worth it in the state I was in. Suicidal and on antidepressants, what you have to prove in the us as well. I will hopefully soon be trying the nasal spray of it, which isn’t as strong but cheaper. Also did one injection of it rather than IV last fall, totally different experience, no hallucinations but for me brought up past trauma I’d forgotten. Not too helpful that one. On top of that, did some lozenges, which also aren’t as strong but you can do them at home. Music you listen to and your thoughts are really important for the new neuropathways you are seeking to make.
I hope this helps and that if you do end up doing it, that you have a really positive experience. I was ready to do myself in, so didn’t let the fear of doing it stop me. TMS I’ve not heard encouraging enough experiences to do, although I should do more research, so don’t know about that. Good luck. You don’t have to feel this bad, these new treatments offer a lot of hope.

R

RockyMountainsGirl

Thanks for your support and encouragement. I can't handle the suicidal ideation when it strikes. Yesterday I saw a psychiatrist who misdiagnosed me. Even though all my other psychiatrists have diagnosed me as major depressive, she said I have dysthymia which is what one gets when feeling blue, and dysthymia leads to major depression. She needs to retire.

2Much2Feel

Thanks for your support and encouragement. I can't handle the suicidal ideation when it strikes. Yesterday I saw a psychiatrist who misdiagnosed me. Even though all my other psychiatrists have diagnosed me as major depressive, she said I have dysthymia which is what one gets when feeling blue, and dysthymia leads to major depression. She needs to retire.
Damnit. It's so frustrating trying to find a good shrink. My current psychiatrist is on the chopping block w me, time to move on. He's convinced I am bipolar, which I don't agree with at all, nor have past shrinks. So, hopefully this new one I'm seeing in a couple of weeks will be a good fit. It's hard to find a good one. I really hope you feel better, and that you do find one who is worth it!