Chewing and injuring myself

TulipIceCream

TulipIceCream

I have a habit of injuring myself on my fingers and soles of my feet. I will also eat the skin. I don't intend any harm to myself though. If I do go too deep it bleeds I feel really bad about myself. I know the skin will grow back without a scar.

I just can't stop though. I have done this everyday for as long as I can remember. It seems to help me with anxiety. If I drink I will go on a rampage. If anyone sees my hands and messed up skin I say they are very dry. My fiancee saw my feet and said they looked like they were burned. I feel embarrassed but I just can't stop. I often do it without realizing it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Foxjo

Foxjo

Staff Member on Leave
Hi Tulipicecream
It can become addictive, a habit.
The only suggestion i can come up with right now is to use distraction techniques when you feel the urge.
If you do it without thinking then you need to focus more, perhaps when you find yourself doing it - tap yourself and say stop. This can bring you back into the here and now.
Could you refer yourself for some talking therapies through your doctor?
Might help to figure out what started all of this off?
Hugs
Fox

TulipIceCream

TulipIceCream

I go to therapy for other issues but I don't like to talk about this because it seems bizarre and gross. I guess I could bring it up with my therapist. Thank you

Foxjo

Foxjo

Staff Member on Leave
I go to therapy for other issues but I don't like to talk about this because it seems bizarre and gross. I guess I could bring it up with my therapist. Thank you
I seriously think you should bring it up with your therapist. It affects your mental health!
They might be able to give you better tips on managing it.