• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Cheesecake Factory

B

belmo

There is a cheesecake factory I still identify myself with. When the time comes for me to look for work, it would be the first place to consider. The problem is 6 years gap in employment. What I am going to tell them if they ask what was my previous work? Should I lie and tell stories or tell them the truth? I would really like to get in there and I will have just one shot.

EdEd

EdEd

If you worked there before it should be pretty easy to get back to work there.. like a factory.. if you worked there before they like that you already have experience of that job.. I'm not sure if that's what you're saying but , if that's the case just be honest with them , and say that you have production experience.. factories love production experience.. someone that can do things fast and have good quality. Not sure how it is there though but in my experiences that's how it works.

B

belmo

If you worked there before it should be pretty easy to get back to work there.. like a factory.. if you worked there before they like that you already have experience of that job.. I'm not sure if that's what you're saying but , if that's the case just be honest with them , and say that you have production experience.. factories love production experience.. someone that can do things fast and have good quality. Not sure how it is there though but in my experiences that's how it works.
Thanks Ed but do you really think they will give me a job if I tell them I was homeless and had schizophrenia? I would tell them something nice like it was not a good choice to leave the company but... schizophrenic? Homeless? "What does he want with us?"

F

fluffpill

don't mention your health history. i'd fill in the gaps with fake work experience. it's easier this way. easier to lie than tell truth when it comes to mental health issues.

EdEd

EdEd

You dont have to tell them your mental health issues , I mean if your mental health started to effect your work , like messed with your productivity..and people were getting on to you , you could use being schizophrenic to your advantage..possibly.. I wouldnt start off by defining yourself as a schizophrenic.. do you believe being schizophrenic would effect your work performance?

B

belmo

You dont have to tell them your mental health issues , I mean if your mental health started to effect your work , like messed with your productivity..and people were getting on to you , you could use being schizophrenic to your advantage..possibly.. I wouldnt start off by defining yourself as a schizophrenic.. do you believe being schizophrenic would effect your work performance?
Rather not. But it was a tough job. 4on4off nights. I'm not young anymore. I'm 40. And factories and warehouses are my only experience.

L

Lab rat

I don’t explain myself unless asked. If asked I say I had a nervous breakdown. It’s close enough to the truth. I have never had an interviewer dig any deeper, as far as they’re concerned that’s the end. No stigma (well, not as much) with a breakdown.

filling it with fake work experience is a possibility, if you are ok with doing that. Get on google, find somewhere close to you that’s now closed (shouldn’t be too hard given the present economic climate)

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
You dont need to explain your MH unless you would be working with vulnerable people and it could affect your work. I wouldn’t lie about yours history cos they may ask you to provide references . You could always say you did some voluntary work. Like cutting peoples grass or helping decorating etc. . You need to be careful cosif you say a well known charity they may ask them for a reference. My daughters just got a job after 10 years of physical and MH problems but she told them shed been helping out at the loca brownies (which she had). Or maybe say you have been studying

EdEd

EdEd

You dont need to explain your MH unless you would be working with vulnerable people and it could affect your work. I wouldn’t lie about yours history cos they may ask you to provide references . You could always say you did some voluntary work. Like cutting peoples grass or helping decorating etc. . You need to be careful cosif you say a well known charity they may ask them for a reference. My daughters just got a job after 10 years of physical and MH problems but she told them shed been helping out at the loca brownies (which she had). Or maybe say you have been studying
Yea , studying is a good option.

B

belmo

Yea , studying is a good option.
I never knew what I want to study. Or who I want to be. So I ended up stuck with no prospects. I have little knowledge of things. I fu..ed up my life really.