• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Cheap and Healthy Meal Ideas for Uni Student

S

SunnyDay99

Hi everyone, trying not to binge as a student is really hard. I try to eat healthily but then I don't eat enough/don't feel full and just end up binging of a night..

Do you have any student-friendly meal ideas that would be able to help me eat healthily? I did make a big pot of vegetable soup not long ago, but that's about all I know!

P.S. I'm allergic to garlic

O

OlderStudent

It takes a week or two but cutting down actually helps a lot! I've lost xx stone since starting at uni! happy with it and seldom hungry now!
just cooking a basic stir fry and potting up several helpings for later helps

T

tiltawhirl3

I am not a student but rather a single senior. Having healthy snacks in the frig helps me a lot. Hard boiled eggs are easy and healthy, they can be mixed with tuna..both are brain foods. I keep yogurts in the frig. right now I have a carton of cottage cheese with mandarin oranges and maraschino cherries mixed together and it is yummy to just grab a bowl of that. I have powdered carnation chocolate instant breakfast to mix in milk that is loaded with vitamins and nutrients. Every once in awhile I make an entree with 6-8 portions and freeze the extras which I can easily grab and put in the microwave. I keep canned soups on hand. A peanut butter and jam sandwich is always quick and easy. Crockpots are wonderful! I can toss in 3 or 4 ingredients and then just forget about it for hours & eat when I am ready. I like quick and easy things. If you want some of my recipes, just direct message me. I would be happy to share!

C

chargrillwon

I can of Tuna and 1 can of garbanzo beans and 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil.

Capt Hooke

Capt Hooke

Being another "single senior", and coping with depression which can be bad at times, I like to try keep one or two "easy, inexpensive and not too unhealthy" items in the cupboard for bad days.

Maybe not to everyone's taste, but over years and years, I've found the cans of baked beans with small pork sausages do a fair job of ticking all three boxes, just now and then. Sainsbury's and Cross & Blackwell are good and less expensive than Heinz. Of course, add a rasher or two of bacon and we have a feast!

T

tiltawhirl3

What a helpful thread! And I have cans of garbanzo beans and did not know what to do with them, now I do. Thank you.

I am always struggling to eat breakfast even tho I have managed to improve a healthy hunger & appetite after many years. I was surprised to learn that I can buy sausage gravy in a can very cheaply. Now, I know I am often low energy, so I buy frozen biscuits that only need tossed in the oven and stay good much longer than the refrigerated ones. I don't bother to make them from scratch. Biscuits and gravy are tasty and very filling. Low cost. Low energy.
I also buy generic frozen breakfast sandwiches. 2 minutes in the microwave. I had one this morning and it was so good I had a 2nd one. Now I am going to be very conscious and drink a glass of milk. My sandwiches were bacon, egg, cheese croissant. I will have fruit later in my cottage cheese salad. It has mandarin oranges in it. and just gets better with a couple days in the frig.

Signofthetimes

Signofthetimes

Do you like eggs? Hard boiled eggs and scrambled eggs I have found to help,- Bananas too. Quick . I eat a lot of blueberries too when in season.

Capt Hooke

Capt Hooke

Especially in the UK, and in winter, I think that hot food really makes a difference. Again, for the days when you're feeling lazy, the fish finger-sandwich can do well. If I'm feeling really lazy, the fingers go in the microwave; better to fry or grill them, but they are OK.