• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Changing your psychiastrist

starflower

starflower

Can anyone help me? I saw the new psychiatrist in my area and he just doesn't seem to listen to what i'm saying. I saw him for the first time on Wednesday, my daughter, who sees me more than anyone else, as she lives with me came along to my appointment for support. After about an hour I walked out extremely upset just feeling that he hadn't been listening to a word I had said. My daughter quickly followed and I asked her was it me? Had I been unreasonable, my daughter told me that I hadn't and that the psychiatrist just hadn't listen to either myself or what my daughter had to say. I've been even more upset, anxious and my mood is very low, since seeing him. Do I have the right to ask to see someone else and if I do make this request will it change the way I am treated by the mental health team? I am really confused, scared and upset, my moods really low and I need some advice. Can anyone help?:confused::(

ms_P

ms_P

Founding Member
Can anyone help me? I saw the new psychiatrist in my area and he just doesn't seem to listen to what i'm saying. I saw him for the first time on Wednesday, my daughter, who sees me more than anyone else, as she lives with me came along to my appointment for support. After about an hour I walked out extremely upset just feeling that he hadn't been listening to a word I had said. My daughter quickly followed and I asked her was it me? Had I been unreasonable, my daughter told me that I hadn't and that the psychiatrist just hadn't listen to either myself or what my daughter had to say. I've been even more upset, anxious and my mood is very low, since seeing him. Do I have the right to ask to see someone else and if I do make this request will it change the way I am treated by the mental health team? I am really confused, scared and upset, my moods really low and I need some advice. Can anyone help?:confused::(
Hi! I'm so sorry this has happened to you.
We go with such high hopes, don't we?

It just might not 'click' between us and our mental heath workers. It's a sad fact, but a part of life none the less. They are people, too.

If this person was your last resort,...is there someplace you can go to or call to explain that it's a waste of time for all parties, and your help request/need remains unfulfilled?
There are organisations where I live who "come up/stick up" for us and try to get things resolved when they go amiss.
Is there such a patient organisation where you are?
Take care. :hug:

intelgal

intelgal

Founding Member
You should have a PALS service... Try them first . Your GP may also be able to help

nickh

nickh

Founding Member
:( - very sorry to hear of your experience gizmondo, which I regret to say is far from unique - it has certainly happened to me and many others here have reported similar experiences.

You (or your daughter if she can) should certainly contact your PALS service, also find out if there are any advocacy services in your area. It maybe that your local MIND can help. You do have a right to complain and to get a different psychiatrist (that is what all the Government bulls&*t about Patient Choice is meant to be about) but (as we have been discussing in another thread here) that is often well-nigh impossible to do yourself when you are ill. I relied on my wife for all this (and still do when I am ill) so if your daughter could do it that would be brilliant.

Let us know how you are getting on.

Nick.

starflower

starflower

Thanks for the advice and support, ms p, integal and nickh, not been into the forum since earlier today, had another bad day. I contacted a friend of mine who is a chaplain at my nearest acute unit, (i've known him since he was my local vicar and met him through his work with our local mind group and PALS was his suggestion. He's arranged to come a see me on Tuesday and help me with this, so hopefully this will be the first step. I am desperate to sort things out because I know my medication is not right at the moment (too many low moods!). thanks.

nickh

nickh

Founding Member
That's an excellent idea gizmondo - he should be able to point you in the right direction as to what to do, who to contact, maybe even help out himself.

Let us know how you get on.

Nick.

ms_P

ms_P

Founding Member
Yes Gizmondo, how are you doing? :flowers:

starflower

starflower

Thanks for askings ms p, a little better since I have a meeting with someone from PALS, she was really nice and is going to help to resolve things for me.
My moods really very low and I need to get my treatment sorted out properly again. I've started to see a different GP at my practice and he's really nice and is very understanding and I am sure he'll get me sorted out eventually.

nickh

nickh

Founding Member
Really glad to hear about your contact with PALS and new GP gizmondo - they are not going to immediately lift your mood I'm afraid but you have taken really big steps to getting the right help which is vital.

Nick.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
I'm annoyed by my psychiatrist it's all medication and no interest in what i regard as real problems, she did say housing is a problem but didn't do anything, she's very recently been appointed and in her job interview i suspect those interviewing her had brought up her attitude to back to work, i suspect those interviewing her are goverment mandarins supporting goverment policy

It concerns me that maybe she supports schitsoprenics getting jobs, but my last job that i got under the disability policy the gp said i had a breakdown when i lost it

I'm thinking of changing to a gp nearer that will change the catchment area and i'll end up with a different psychiatrist, it's just i saw the queue at my local gp and feel nervous about handleing it