• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

changing medication! any other experiences?

T

towanda

hello,

i am just started effexor last night, or venlafaxine, having changed from prozax. to give a brief history: i am still taking quetiapine, but only 25mgs now. a couple of years ago, i was on 300mg of quetiapine, but in the last year i have dropped it considerably. i found it harder and harder to cope with being tired all the time, and getting up in the morning was incredibly difficult. i have been diagnosed and rediagnosed so many times, and to be honest i am not sure what is wrong with me. last diagnosis was bipolar type 2. i have a nine month old little girl, and when i was pregnant they told me to stop taking the quetiapine and they changed me from wellbutrin to prozac. my pregnancy was great. i was stable the whole time, and i was hoping i wouldn't need the quetiapine anymore. but two weeks after i had my baby, things got bad...really bad. i started getting intrusive thoughts that made my anxiety go through the roof. i started self harming again, and my depression was pretty bad as well. i then went back on the quetiapine, first only 50mg, then when that wasn't helping as much as i would like, 100mg. since then, i have learned some techniques for the intrusive thoughts, and they are soooo much better. i dropped down to 50 mgs again of quetiapine and now 25mg again, and the intrusive thoughts still seem to be okay. but my depression is still very bad. i am still self harming, so i went to the hospital the other day, and got effexor. he told me i didn't need to taper off of the prozac, though i did not take anything for a 24 hor period. so, i am now on the effexor 37.5mg for the first week twice a day, and then up. i am hoping that my depression gets better, as i can't live like this anymore. my moods are up and down like a rollar coaster, but not really manic. just from okay to not okay in very short time spans. does anyone out there have any experiences they can share with me? either about med changes, being diagnosed so many times, ect. :confused:

S

skyblue

Hi Towanda,

I'm sorry, but I don't really have any advice regarding the med's, other than it's all trial and error. I'm sorry to hear you're going through a bad time and I really hope the Venlafaxine is the right medication for you and helps to make you feel better.

Look after yourself :hug:x

T

towanda

thank you skyeblue. for the moment, i do seem to be feeling better. i hope it continues...for at least a little while(y)

maisey

maisey

Hey, im very similar to you in respect to medication. Ive given so many different kinds and changed them over and over. W:scared::(
as on prozac and before that sertraline and before that citalopram and the list goes on ! At the moment im on 90mg of duloxetine but after a year its seems to be losing its effect. Does anybody find after a while that their meds stop working?

The doctor has suggested venlafaxine or seroxat unsure about both to be honest, but definately need them changing.

Really hope the new meds help you feel better

getting better

getting better

Towanda, I have had a very same experience as you on my meds. I have been on and off of so many different meds over the past two years it's sometimes hard to keep up. At the moment I take Efexor 225mg, Lamictal 200mg, Abilify 20mg and Clonactil 100mg..oh and zimovane 15mg at night. I think my current meds are the best for me. I've tried prozac and seroquel and many others. It can be very frustrating to not be able to find the right combination for you but hopefully you'll get there in the end

trombone_babe

trombone_babe

Yes I also find that my meds lose effect after a while. I started on fluoxetine, had a short spell on paroxetine which didn't suit, then sertraline for quite a while before I became resistant. I changed to citalopram which was fine for ages, several years in fact. Then it stopped working so was moved to venlafaxine which didn't suit, back to citalopram but now on mirtazapine plus lamotrigine.

As for changing them, the worst experiences have been when coming off citalopram, once abruptly and once tapering more gradually. I became very unstable and emotional.

A

Apotheosis

I HATE being on the med I take - an anti-psychotic - which is a major tranquilliser; a chemical lobotomy, a chemical cosh.

It astounds me how anyone could be content taking such a drug?