• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

changing jobs

D

distraction

Hi all
I have recently felt the urge to change jobs i have worked for my firm for 4 years and often have a tendency to thing about leaving normally due to a lack of enthusiasm
These episodes normally pass but i cant seem to shake this one off i am concerned that the stress off starting a new job may be a trigger
If i leave my job i will probably not be able to rejoin or will have to start from the bottom again
Deep down im sure its just an escapism attempt i have done this be fore and the novelty soon wears off
Does any one have any ideas how long i should leave it before changing jobs or is life to short and should i go with my gut
Any opinions gracefully welcome

BORTU

BORTU

Hi there, I have had times like that. It took me a while but eventually I changed jobs, never regretted it, best thing I did, but then today jobs are not so easy to get.

Bit negative but I hope it helps.

BORT

L

LilMissLost

Hiya :)
Hmmm thats a hard one, i used to get into jobs and love the change most of the time, i used to have to change jobs about every 3 years or id be completely bored by that point, every winter was always hard as i worked outside and it was physical work, mostly i welcomed the change of environment and people.

Having said that i struggled through this winter, think it was my 4th winter with old employer and i had to get through til april when i knew i would take over my partners dads business working from home, im not sure if it was the struggling through the 4th year that did it or the stress of taking over new business but it set off the most awful episode ever and now i am left with a business to run from home and im worried about picking the phone up! I never returned to my previous work and was wondering if its because im not there that im like i am now.

Having said that aswell i went back to my old work today and everyone was asking how i was and then giving me answers like "it wont always be like this" and "are you sure you werent depressed though??" So now im bloody glad to be out of there and although this may not be what i want to do at the moment it might just keep me going until i find something that suits me better! Hope you manage to work out what you want to do :)

D

distraction

Hi
thanks for your input I have decided to stay put for now I think the current issues revolve around me and not my job
I always appreciate the opinions of others and having people to bounce ideas of who understand
thanks again

W

warriorprincess

yeh you sound like i have been in the past, and to be honest, looking back I've regretted it withh my long term jobs - it was my silly mind at the time telling me to shift, and would be in the midst of a high, so then i'd quit and maybe find a new job but then the depression would sink in and that coupled with either a strange new job to get my head around, or having found no job - it would usually leave me in a really bad place for quite a time.
Also at the moment I know good jobs are hard to come by and it sounds like you're quite established there, so if you can hold out and maybe make a few adjustments (?) i would recommend that for the time being. Or at the very least, be researching your next job before handing in notice. Sounds like you're doing the right thing for now anyways, good luck xxx