• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Changes must be made - it's wanting to make them the hardest bit

iamdave28

iamdave28

Since being diagnosed with Bipolar i have been taking 25mg lamictal. Along with that 5 htp , 2/4 or 6 Nurofen plus a day and 2 Nytol a night - which can't be good. However i have told my psychiatrist that i can't relax without it and my doctor but both refuse to give me anything even after telling them my routine , i am shocked to be honest. How can i màke changes that stick and get the desire to keep at them...

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

What's the reason you're using these meds?
Is it for relaxation, or insomnia?
The thing is, there's very little a doctor can prescribe that can help in the long term.
Also, whilst sleeping pills for instance can help for a few nights, "rebound insomnia" is a big problem.
What i'm saying is, whilst it must be annoying not to be offered anything from your doctors, they probably have their reasons and are trying to help you in the long run.

Do you know what kind of changes you want to make?
I think that once you keep at something for a while, it'll stick and become habit. So while changing is difficult at first, it will get easier.

iamdave28

iamdave28

Thanks for replying. It's for relaxing as i feel very anxious , irritable and very aggressive. I have a lot of rage in me lately which is how i felt before i even started taking any medication , 5 years ago , i hate being like this but what can i do ? The doctors won't give me anything as they said i could get addicted to whatever they give me because I have an 'addictive personality' - drink and drugs in my past. My main problem is alcohol cravings i crave it so much that my body hurts and it's like my brain goes into deep depression because of this , scary stuff , in fact i crave it so much i start to feel really sick. I get panicky so can't sleep as my body and mind shut down until i get my 'fix'. I used to drink everyday , all day , for about 5 years. I don't just mean a few here and there i mean i would drink a litre of cider when waking up before breakfast , i wouldn't even clean my teeth , i would then have spirits and maybe 6 cans of lager. Sometimes i would have 6 white stars (really cheap cider) with a litre of vodka and smoke some weed or take some cocaine which i totally regret now as it's messed me up big time , i feel it's damaged my brain. I'm sat here now typing this almost in tears as I'm really craving alcohol not because i want it but in some weird way it feels like i need it to just feel normal.

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

Addiction issues aren't something i've known much about, but I can see how it must be incredibly difficult to abstain, especially if you're feeling on edge and angry.

Do you have any support in terms of groups or counselling?
It's obviously not the answer for everything, but it sounds like it may be good for you to talk.

Have you found anything helps for stress relief?
Exercise can be good to help if you're feeling like you've got too much physical energy. Again, exercise alone won't make everything better but it might help.

I think it's a combination of things that will eventually help you cope. Counselling, good sleep, exercise, hobbies etc.
Try to hang on in there, it sounds like you've made a huge amount of progress so far.