• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

change of support worker

megirl

megirl

My old support worker who has know me for over 3 years was there when i had to give up nursing and all the meetings re my health etc.
he knows me so very well,
Anyway he was away on sick leave for several weeks, I get on with the new support worker but I like my other one more but in a different way. Anyway he came back i havnt seen him but they seem to be very reluctant to put me under my old support worker, so am still under the new ones care. I mean i get on with him fine. I do have attachment issues but coped with the new support person very well.
Is it a good thing to have someone new? It seems ok for me but i miss my old one still.
I think maybe it is a good thing to have a change. If I got really distressed and etc and said 'fuck you guys i want 'john' back or i will discharge myself then they probably will give me the old support worker.
Should i just give 'john' )not his real name) a phone call and say thanks for everything or just get a card and some chocolates then that may be a good thing to say i appreciate what he has done?
not too sure

SarahD

SarahD

I think it would be a nice gesture to give him a card and some chocolates.

It is really hard because you see someone regularly, you make some kind of bond with them. I know it is a professional relationship and not a friendship in the normal sense of the word, but you do make a bond and especially if it is someone who is good and gives you good support. My usual care coordinator went on extended leave and I was really scared because I had come to depend on her, sometimes she was the only person I saw in the week. The locum fortunately has been very good. Soon the usual one is coming back and this one is leaving, and now I am sad to see her go!

We have to keep in mind it is their job, but there is a human relationship too if they are good people.

megirl

megirl

Yes that is right it is their job. And funny you said that yeh i would probably miss my new one also guess.
One of the support workers 'Rachel I have had some contact with over the years she knows me pretty well but as my case is 'complex' she as a social worker cant be my primary support person.
I will get a nice card and some chocolates tomorrow sounds good x

AND now!! I want to read my old notes. I want to read my notes around the time I gave up nursing and the discussion that went on with my boss and my pdoc (without me present)
I just want to I know it may seem silly but would be interesting

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Im a support worker and we care more than you think. I spent my own money on my SUs before. Were not all arseholes x

megirl

megirl

Thanks for that x
I know Rachel once said too me 'we arent the enemies here Ann' and I remind myself that because i was treated like crap as a child doesnt mean that they will do that. They are there to help I know thanks for that reminder.
My current support worker has told me 'they will drop what they are doing if i need them' so as you say i guess he is a nice person just different from my last support person

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Yeah everyone I work with has a different way of doing things, aslong as you feel theyre there for what you need x

megirl

megirl

Well thats it isnt it. I could ring them now or the crisis team and yeh they are always easy to access. And helpful.
I guess it says a lot of how far I have come to being able to manage to cope with someone new
x