• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Chances of getting DBT?

E

Edward Hyde

Hi Everyone, I'm new to this (and any other) forum. I'm not on social media, but hope I can become a regular part of this forum - although I'm not sure I have much to offer.
To begin I was just wondering, from your experience, what are the chances of me getting proper dbt therapy in Devon? As with most, when I've engaged with services, I've been bounced around a bit. Hence not getting the correct diagnosis for decades, nor the right treatment.

Thanks for any thoughts you might have :)

Z

Zoe1

hi Edward :welcome: !

a lot of therapists are working on zoom at the moment
so you have a good chance at that

are you hoping to go privately or on the NHS
because the NHS don't give you many sessions
you might be able to claim benefits to cover the cost of your DBT

its quite a lot of organising to do

:grouphug:

E

Edward Hyde

Hi, thank you for your reply. It would have to be NHS. I can't afford private, but wouldn't be eligible for benefits.
I was wondering if anyone with experience had info on the number of (if any) dbt therapists working in the NHS in Devon?
Could I just phone the hospital departments and ask?
There would be no point in troubling all the people involved if ultimately they couldn't offer dbt. I know it's scarce. Thanks :)

MoonShapedPool

MoonShapedPool

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I think you may struggle getting DBT on the NHS.
CBT yes,but my Nephew ended up paying for DBT.

M

MYTIMEHASCOME

Hello Edward

I don’t know if this will help but there’s a course on the Reed.co.uk website that’s for people who want to learn to deliver DBT (I didn’t link it because it’s £49 and I didn’t know if I was allowed) but I’m going to take the course and try and teach my self the skills if you google ityou will probably find it, I don’t know if it will help but I’m gonna give it a try - I’ll probably fail horribly but it’s better than no dbt I guess - hope you manage to get help:)